What currency on board Queen Elizabeth

willjan

We will be sailing on Queen Elizabeth in December from Australia cruising around New Zealand, my question is what currency is used for excursions/onboard expenses.  As Cunard is owned by Carnival, an American company, will we be charged in US dollars or Australian dollars as the ship will be based in Australia for some months.  

Thank you.

HI willjan.  As BigMac says, anything purchased onboard is in US$.  Unless your Australia credit card is free from foreign currency surcharges, you'll incur a currency conversion fee.  Anything purchased prior to your cruise through the Australia call centre (for example, wine packages or the cost of the cruise itself) is in A$ and does not incur currency conversion charges.

1 hour ago, willjan said:

Thanks 'sfred', does that also include excursions purchased through Cunard?

Excursions are also priced in US$, so yes they will be included. If you purchase through the voyage personalizer you will pay the exchange rate on the date you buy. Your On Board Purchases will be the exchange rate at the end of the voyage,  though on long voyages they may clear the transactions several time, but the exchange rate will be when the transactions are actually cleared. 

You may be given the option to have your onboard portfolio converted to A$ (or whatever your card's currency is) rather than having the charge run in US$. This is almost guaranteed to be a bad deal for you, as Cunard's (or any merchant's) rate for the conversion to your home currency will benefit them by several per cent.

Edited by Underwatr

willjan,  the excursions I've bought through voyage personaliser (now called "manage my booking" on the Cunard AU web site) are charged in US$ and incur currency conversion fees if you use an Aussie credit card with a surcharge.  Cards like 28degrees or Bankwest zero have no fee for foreign transactions.  Anything you buy from the Australia call centre on 132441 is processed by Cunard Australia, in A$, and therefore without surcharge.

4 minutes ago, sfred said:

willjan,  the excursions I've bought through voyage personaliser (now called "manage my booking" on the Cunard AU web site) are charged in US$ and incur currency conversion fees if you use an Aussie credit card with a surcharge.  Cards like 28degrees or Bankwest zero have no fee for foreign transactions.  Anything you buy from the Australia call centre on 132441 is processed by Cunard Australia, in A$, and therefore without surcharge.

Thanks again sfred!

Reminds me of my first (and last) cruise with P&O UK (who markets almost exclusively to UK customers).
A lady on board made it abundantly clear one day that she would never ever sail with Cunard.

"Why not?' I asked.

"Because everything's in dollars!!"

On 11/6/2019 at 1:55 AM, Canuker said:

Reminds me of my first (and last) cruise with P&O UK (who markets almost exclusively to UK customers).
A lady on board made it abundantly clear one day that she would never ever sail with Cunard.

"Why not?' I asked.

"Because everything's in dollars!!"

This attitude is increasingly common with the £:$ exchange rate the way it is, plus the 3% that many UK credit cards add to foreign currency transactions. My parents did a round the UK trip on Cunard last year and commented on the difference this made compared to previous cruises when the exchange rate was more in our favour - we were getting $1.60 not so long ago...

(Not related, but factor in Cunard's 15% "service charge" as against P&O's 5% - 7.5% Peninsular Club discount and it adds up to a significant difference in the price of a drink.)

With many people booking cruises many months in advance, paying in £ (as you note P&O is squarely aimed at the UK market) does provide some certainly over costs.

• 4 weeks later...

The BIG disadvantage for Aussies sailing on Cunard is the fact that onboard costs are in USD. Consider the question of gratuities . Gratuities are a big enough anathema to Aussies in the first place!  - but when the "compulsory " gratuities of $23USD per cabin per day is converted to approximately  $35AUD, it starts to HURT. I am looking at approx $1300AUD for gratuities for next years 38 day cruise Japan to Alaska. I just regard it as part of the overall cost of the cruise - however it does increase the starting cost of the cruise by 7% or so. 

3 hours ago, bazzaw said:

The BIG disadvantage for Aussies sailing on Cunard is the fact that onboard costs are in USD. Consider the question of gratuities . Gratuities are a big enough anathema to Aussies in the first place!  - but when the "compulsory " gratuities of $23USD per cabin per day is converted to approximately  $35AUD, it starts to HURT. I am looking at approx $1300AUD for gratuities for next years 38 day cruise Japan to Alaska. I just regard it as part of the overall cost of the cruise - however it does increase the starting cost of the cruise by 7% or so. 

I certainly wouldnt pay that amount in gratuities call me cynical but after 50+ cruises in 22yrs with varying cruise lines I do not believe all 100% of the monies collected in gratuities goes to the staff.

What I have been doing on Cunard is to go to the Pursers desk and 1. ask for the automatic gratuities be removed from my account and then 2. ask them to provide me with the amount that the gratuities would have been in USD cash, charged to my account. Then I give out that cash to cabin and dining room staff.