🎵Panama! 🎵 Vision of the Seas Oct. 30, 2019

twangster

Just now, suesnake2002 said:

GatunLake has Crocodiles and Caiman.  

🤤  i used to regularly swim and snorkle in gatun lake. 

Remember your photo where you saw a small island and said it was the top of a hill. Well when they flooded the lake alot of stuff was left down there. One particular thing was a railroad with cars. Back in the day that was a popular dive spot. 

I was very surprised to see a bridge by gatun lakes. The only way across used to be a metal bridge attached to the doors on the ocean side. It was cool to see the ships approaching as you drove across. Also you would get "locked" out. And have to wait for a ship to enter to drive across. 

The Canal Authority removed the train from the Gatun Lake awhile back and some of the equipment is on display at Miraflores Locks.  The link will take you to a web page with pictures of the removal.

http://www.czimages.com/CZMemories/frtrain/frtr_index.htm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BillB48 said:

The Canal Authority removed the train from the Gatun Lake awhile back and some of the equipment is on display at Miraflores Locks.  The link will take you to a web page with pictures of the removal.

http://www.czimages.com/CZMemories/frtrain/frtr_index.htm

Thanks for that information! 

Is that the locomotive I captured in this photo?

o2CUKP9.jpg

• Like 1

My wife and I will never forget our full transit from West to East,  looking back after going through that last lock is still nothing I we will never forget. To see the level of the water behind the ship from where we came is unbelievable.

So when doing the full transit, be sure to be at the back of the ship for the last lock.

Still to this day is on top of our list as best cruises every. Not as port extensive as a Caribbean Cruise but as far as a relaxing cruise and the amazement of the engineering it took to make the canal it is a great cruise everyone should take no matter their ages.

Our cruise was on Radiance of the Seas back in 2004.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=7522

Above is our review my wife wrote up.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, twangster said:

Thanks for that information! 

Is that the locomotive I captured in this photo?

o2CUKP9.jpg

I honestly don’t know, but does look like the one removed from the lake. Where was the photo taken, that may not be an easy question to answer for someone on a tour. 

Day 13 - Cartagena, Colombia

I had few expectations for this day and it turned into a highlight port that I intend to revisit.

iFqyLVS.jpg

Today's excursion "Deluxe Cartagena & Fortress". 

Our first stop is at Castillo del San Felipe.  This old fortress built in 1536 was placed at a strategic point to protect the old walled city behind it.  It's cannons pointed towards land to deal with attackers approaching by foot.

sIPvYzY.jpg

76JU6C0.jpg

XPY96nL.jpg

This is a walking tour that at times was uphill, both ways it seemed.

yIfspqW.jpg

While not hot by Colombia standards it was pretty hot and humid today and I was glad I brought water from the ship.

zRMjvNm.jpg

Modern Cartagena with a bridge to the old walled city in the foreground.

WsRO20w.jpg

A church in the walled city in the distance our guide informs us we will visit later today.

dS6ToHs.jpg

The fortress is pretty massive.

wVL7qVK.jpg

WpXGJ80.jpg

20adqZe.jpg

Like all good fortresses built nearly 500 years ago it has a series of internal passages and access corridors.

ZriXmHN.jpg

JE1tpX6.jpg

4rOlnnz.jpg

These were also used by soldiers as sleeping quarters.

9iOug3E.jpg

You had better remembered the days password because in the dark corridors they couldn't recognize friend or foe so failing to respond with the correct password when challenged meant a knife.

Mzbyjka.jpg

KwMQJm2.jpg

They've updated the fortress with modern restrooms accessed through an old corridor.  It was kind of bizarre walking down an old passageway, turning the corner and walking into a modern, nicely appointed, well lit restroom.  

QYqkG2N.jpg

wNXYRKX.jpg

OUZBOSj.jpg

wCf5OuM.jpg

Back on the bus to soak up some the cool air coming down from the air conditioning vents we head into the old walled city.

Our guide provides some history of how this area has had numerous conquerors. 

pk02ltI.jpg

Our next stop is at a market where we can do some shopping.

CrTZDyL.jpg

WyUBq3C.jpg

L3rdO9w.jpg

Our guide informs us vendors accept USD and most vendors will provide change in USD.   Prices are in Colombian dollars so some math is required but prices appeared typical for many goods.

l5GPTsI.jpg

eGApBom.jpg

This leads up to the top of the wall that protected the old city.

4rABMoM.jpg

6wLNHoU.jpg

SzCSzoW.jpg

HWJVD4I.jpg

En8nrmz.jpg

I was impressed with how nice the old city is and how pleasant it was to walk around.

0Or3qRz.jpg

Colombia is open to many religions but the Catholic church played a distinct and primary role in the religious history of the nation.  

IJXB21B.jpg

This is the Sanctuary of Saint Peter Claver that we saw from the fortress.

oFokBvk.jpg

kodTV7f.jpg

Admission is included in our tour.

8abnhJJ.jpg

kgWDsAr.jpg

mY75iXh.jpg

NONtbVL.jpg

XEWmPOA.jpg

goJ9Fvu.jpg

Quite breathtaking inside.

zJ1JuJU.jpg

R9dxJGH.jpg

ZTgBl74.jpg

x7Iv8tG.jpg

yZv1wX5.jpg

hROJ8ta.jpg

ofK3qQG.jpg

RxcqUlF.jpg

bXukyGN.jpg

We walked through the streets of the old city to reach our next stop.

6Q9gxkp.jpg

Y3ipKBG.jpg

cm8ni0N.jpg

Since Spain had conquered Colombia when Spain went through the period of the Inquisition so did Colombia.  Our next stop was at the Palace of the Inquisition.

hs69cE8.jpg

S4s2tCM.jpg

Within these walls justice was served for various crimes including being accused of being a witch. 

o4Ez2b6.jpg

h557PNP.jpg

lG2aZKO.jpg

J8WI9vW.jpg

XhORrCB.jpg

Off with their heads!

ZYzYZbo.jpg

It was quite a dark time in the history of Cartagena until residents had enough and stormed the Palace to end the inquisitions. 

QdWHf4O.jpg

Our bus dropped us off at the other end of the cruise terminal.  The cruise terminal in Cartagena is kind of unique.  It includes an eco park.

OmrGS4L.jpg

This is free and you have to walk through it to reach the ship.

n4C9HM6.jpg

o5jAVXz.jpg

afh5104.jpg

Giant anteater.

asoOQRY.jpg

There are two aviaries within the park.

p3IZ3ES.jpg

57v7zmi.jpg

JLMf1Wg.jpg

egw95oC.jpg

xBUdTCi.jpg

tQuSI37.jpg

rUuqlkU.jpg

hXUV4Vs.jpg

XD1mDCR.jpg

XaU7OXI.jpg

W8UtFS3.jpg

r7rN24r.jpg

It's a very nice way to return to a ship.

• Like 2

You can walk to the eco park from the ship.

bHeE9Wx.jpg

If you don't feel like walking the rest of the way back to the ship there is a free shuttle bus.

9FfIUAy.jpg

pptNdIP.jpg

CY856MV.jpg

jxxmEiQ.jpg

Thinking of my next visit here I think I'll spend the day in the old city.   Towards that end I noticed they have Uber here.

HFuj4Jr.jpg

With that our day in Cartagena was done and we sailed away in the dark.

zY573XC.jpg

I was very impressed with Cartagena and will definitely look for itineraries that stop here.

• Like 1

Day 16 - Sea Day

Back in familiar waters.

RmnPXmh.jpg

HWwAG0d.jpg

Captain reports we are on schedule for a 7am arrival.

Solarium roof was open again.  Enough pictures of that.

Typical sea day except it involved packing.  Ugh.  The cruise is nearly over.

TNF by the pool.  The football feed we are receiving has no vocals, just game noise.  Even the commercials have no vocals.  Oh well, it works.  

oBLX8Nz.jpg

Edited by twangster

Day 17 - Ft. Lauderdale

After 4,890 nautical miles we have arrived into Port Everglades terminal 18.  That's a new personal best for a single sailing and longer than my transatlantic last year.

Nice sunrise for our arrival.

eCvOG9s.jpg

xDyf7sT.jpg

dbSbku1.jpg

Our cruise...

zCVFWeG.jpg

Bz9Wq0y.jpg

1wJo3EB.jpg

Windjammer open from 5:30am to 8:30am, Dining Room 6:30am to 8am.

I was told to go with the last luggage tag number 31 leaving at 9:45am to meet my shuttle to Port Miami.  

A word about Voom. 

Vision uses the older satellite technology but having said I was able to make long phone calls and stream content using Surf and Stream.  While it isn't as snappy as the new technology used on newer ship, it worked fine for me with the understanding this is satellite based internet and not the internet I have at home.

Voom results for the cruise:

Date                           Download        Upload        Latency

10/30/19 21:45        2.074               2.779            557

10/31/19 8:58          3.726               4.233            584

11/1/19 10:11          3.474               3.447            587

11/3/19 10:33          2.752               2.566            552

11/4/19 9:04            3.576               2.243            578

11/5/19 8:42            2.645               2.998            671

11/6/19 8:05            2.631               2.573            675

11/7/19 15:25          3.316               2.303            709

11/8/19 14:58          2.192               2.496            674

11/9/19 11:37          2.22                 2.095            676

11/10/19 7:08          2.523              3.065             664

11/12/19 9:00          1.641              2.676             663

11/13/19 7:44          1.13                2.016             669

11/13/19 9:07          2.504              2.676             670

11/14/19 8:40          2.557              2.799             666

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

Cruise Summary

This was another bucket list cruise that lives up to that reputation.

It introduced me to several new destinations that each warrant a return visit.  Puntarenas and Cartagena stand out as top ports while the transit of the Panama Canal completely lived up to all my expectations.  Simply wow.  

This is my second time on Vision of the Seas and she fulfilled everything I needed for this cruise.  An issue with my cabin temperature was fixed within two hours on day one and I had no issues for the remainder of the cruise.  The crew were fantastic in all respects.  

The only thing I can think to complain about was the lack of enough tenders in Cabo San Lucas.  Using the four dual purpose lifeboat/tenders from the ship simply wasn't enough and it impacted out useable time in port.  The ship offered a lot of excuses for this but at the end of the day if they can't figure out how to execute tendering in Cabo they should drop the port. Fortunately I've been there before and it wasn't the reason I booked this cruise.

Seeing the operation of the Panama Canal locks firsthand and up close was amazing and I'm glad I experienced the original Panama Canal.  It's not an experience I'll soon forget.

When I return I'll spend more time down low watching all the action from lock level.  

My decision to save money by booking an ocean view cabin worked out fine.  Looking back I don't think I missed out by not having a balcony or suite.  Even if I had a balcony I wouldn't stay out there for the canal transit as there is too much to see on both sides of the ship.  Balconies were more than twice the price of my cabin so not only did my savings cover my stay on the Queen Mary, excursions and airfare but also left enough to pay for my next two cruises.

I have a few other bucket list type cruises in the future but I'll be looking out for another Panama Canal cruise after those.  

I hope you enjoyed following along and I thank you for viewing.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Date                           Download        Upload        Latency

10/30/19 21:45        2.074               2.779            557

I think that's the lowest ping I've seen reported on "old" VOOM.

• Like 1

Follow up on the transfer to the Port of Miami.  Royal offered this for free. 

I left my cabin around 7:30am to let my cabin attendant prep it for the next guest and hung out in the Schooner Bar.  Voom worked until 9am when they cycled it for the next cruise.  

Around 9:45am I got off and made my way through CBP.  No facial recognition in terminal 18 yet.  Outside I went to the right where buses for airport transfers purchased from Royal meet.  They put me on the Miami airport bus and around 10.40am we left terminal 18 in Port Everglades.

We stopped twice at Miami airport at two different terminals where the bulk of folks got off.  We then proceeded to the port.  First stop terminal A and Navigator where two guests got off.  Next stop terminal G for Empress where 6 guests got off.  It was pretty close to noon when we reached Empress.  

Painless check in and onto the ship.  Beverage in hand at 12:23pm.  Lyft was $36 and Uber was $39 so with tip that was roughly a $40 savings.  

I really appreciated this extra effort from Royal.    Loyalty pays.

• Like 1