Direct flight - Zurich to Venice?

lamb616

When I search the travel sites, the only option that comes up is Swiss Air.  I know there may be smaller, regional airlines that operate this route that don't show up on the big travel websites, but I cannot find any.  Does anyone know of any?

22 minutes ago, hallasm said:

I think Swiss is the only option - what’s the problem flying Swiss?

no problem.....just want to see all options before booking. 🙂

Bruce - sorry, I meant nonstop.....

If you are going from city center to city center, the train is also an option. From Zurich Hbf to Venice, it's generally about 6.5 hours with one change in Milan. When you factor in getting from Zurich to ZRH (15 minutes), being there 90 minutes ahead, 90 minute gate-to-gate flight, 30 minutes to get from plane to baggage claim to transport, and then 20-30 minutes to get in to Venice, you're at over 4 hours as is. The train ride is more scenic, less stressful, and generally more pleasant. 

Just an idea if you are going from city center to city center. Obviously, if you're just connecting at ZRH airport, it may not make sense. 

• Like 1

Go to Google maps and enter “airports in Switzerland” to find the regional airports.

Experientially, I flew Swiss Air into and out of Zurich a couple of weeks ago.  I highly recommend them, especially their Business Class which gives you access to a very nice business lounge.  I also did First Class on their train system to Lucerne then Lake Como and back.  It was fine but I wouldn’t want to spend more than a few hours on one.  (Think really filthy bathroom with no paper or soap.)

I've done Venice to Zurich by train - it's very easy, the trains ran on time to the minute (!), the change in Milan was no problem, and the scenery was beautiful - I'd recommend that any day over flying such a short hop. Such a pleasure to depart and arrive already in the centre of the city.

47 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

I've done Venice to Zurich by train - it's very easy, the trains ran on time to the minute (!), the change in Milan was no problem, and the scenery was beautiful - I'd recommend that any day over flying such a short hop. Such a pleasure to depart and arrive already in the centre of the city.

I'm not opposed to taking the train all the way, except that I have to go to the airport to pick up luggage that I will have left there when I arrived in Zurich.  So I dont know if with that added stop at the airport, it's easier to just get a flight.

36 minutes ago, lamb616 said:

I'm not opposed to taking the train all the way, except that I have to go to the airport to pick up luggage that I will have left there when I arrived in Zurich.  So I dont know if with that added stop at the airport, it's easier to just get a flight.

The train station is attached to the airport and is quite easy to get to.

If you do take the train, bring some Kleenex and wipes/sanitizer to the bathroom with you in case it remains unattended.  Also bring some snacks and drinks as they ran out of food and people who did get food were complaining it was tasteless.  (We brought snacks so I have no first-hand knowledge of taste.)

Download the SBB app or go to SBB - English.  You can get some great Super Saver rates if you book in advance.  Pay attention to whether a ticket is for that particular departure or if it’s good for any train that day.  (Useful if you miss your train.)

Bring your suitcase into the car with you as opposed to leaving it outside the compartment on a rack.  (They’ve been known to disappear.). It will fit in between the back-to-back seats.  There is also a large rack above the seats for backpacks and  carry-ons.

13 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

The train station is attached to the airport and is quite easy to get to.

You'll likely have to change trains at the main Zurich HB train station to get to the Zurich Flughafen ('Airport') train station, but Swiss train stations tend to be well-signed and easy to get around in. 

Before deciding on fly or train, do check your dates against public holiday time frames. We unknowingly booked our flight to arrive as half of Zurich was trying to get out of town for the Ascention holiday weekend and the crowding and chaos was bad enough that the locals kept apologizing to us about how what we were experiencing was 'Not Swiss!'