NCL Port of New Orleans Haven Embarkment

Sthrngary

On a cruise on the NCL Getaway out of New Orleans November 24, 2019.  I have never cruised out of New Orleans.  My wife and I will be staying and parking at a local hotel taking a uber to the port of New Orleans.  Can someone give us the hints and tricks to "somewhat" less stressful Embarkment.  Best time, things to watch out for, where to go. We are Haven Guest (please no haters, this cruise is a celebration for health and weight loss).  Anything provided will be very much appreciated. 

It's been since 2017 when I sailed out of NOLA, but there was no special security line, but Haven/suite check in was I believe to the left after security. Regardless, you'll see plenty of clipboard people after you go through security. Just ask them to point you in the right direction for Haven. It's a small area, but still quiet, and on our cruise, the concierge was set up there with her laptop and made us dining changes before we got on the ship. 

The port is small and uncomplicated. Very easy, Haven or not. 

I've sailed a couple of times from NOLA. Although the last time was a few years ago. It is easy and not as confusing as the port of Miami can get a times. They use the Julia street terminal, if still the same and I found it easy on, easy off the ship! Haven boarding is easy so not really a bad time to arrive.

Enjoy-I'll be on her in January. Let us know how it was.😃

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Debde said:

I've sailed a couple of times from NOLA. Although the last time was a few years ago. It is easy and not as confusing as the port of Miami can get a times. They use the Julia street terminal, if still the same and I found it easy on, easy off the ship! Haven boarding is easy so not really a bad time to arrive.

Enjoy-I'll be on her in January. Let us know how it was.😃

Thanks!

I've sailed many times out of New Orleans.  The advice I would tell you is to make sure they are sending you to the Haven check in.  The last cruise, the port person didn't have a clue about Haven check in and tried to send me to the regular check in line, so I asked for a supervisor and he told the other person what it was.  After that everything worked very well.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

I've sailed many times out of New Orleans.  The advice I would tell you is to make sure they are sending you to the Haven check in.  The last cruise, the port person didn't have a clue about Haven check in and tried to send me to the regular check in line, so I asked for a supervisor and he told the other person what it was.  After that everything worked very well.

I had a similar experience myself this spring.   Proceeded to the Haven desk.  Someone yelled at me(NCL employee) to stop, I turned and showed my Haven ticket.  Not sure what the issue was but proceeded to the Haven Desk after explaining I was a Haven guest.  It was a separate line for Haven that they had already checked up front.  They must have thought I was sneaking in or something.

7 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

On a cruise on the NCL Getaway out of New Orleans November 24, 2019.  I have never cruised out of New Orleans.  My wife and I will be staying and parking at a local hotel taking a uber to the port of New Orleans.  Can someone give us the hints and tricks to "somewhat" less stressful Embarkment.  Best time, things to watch out for, where to go. We are Haven Guest (please no haters, this cruise is a celebration for health and weight loss).  Anything provided will be very much appreciated. 

Sailed out of NOLA this spring.  We stayed at a hotel across the street from the Terminal so were able to just walk over.  We avoided all the traffic that way.

@Sthrngary - Hello Neighbor...lol! Thanks for starting this thread...I'll be following! In January, my husband and I will also be sailing in The Haven and, I too, was wondering how this process would work.

@chill6x6 - Hope you have a great cruise and I'll look forward to hearing about your experience! We've never 'splurged' on a cabin category like this and I sure hope it is worth the expense! 🙂 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ajsland5 said:

@Sthrngary - Hello Neighbor...lol! Thanks for starting this thread...I'll be following! In January, my husband and I will also be sailing in The Haven and, I too, was wondering how this process would work.

@chill6x6 - Hope you have a great cruise and I'll look forward to hearing about your experience! We've never 'splurged' on a cabin category like this and I sure hope it is worth the expense! 🙂 

@ajsland5, This will be the very first time in 40 years that I will be able to drive to a cruise.  My wife and I are staying at the Holiday Inn because they have a reasonable Hotel, Cruise and Park program.  We intend to be at the port at 10:45 AM using an Uber.  We now know from this post that there is a separate Haven Security line akin to priority check-in security at the Airport.  We also know that past security if you go to the left, is the Haven Check-in.  Folks will attempt to stop you from going their so have your paperwork handy.  We have been to Nola many times so no real interest in the normal stuff prior to or after cruise. My goal is to get on the ship, get a drink, get into the Haven Restaurant for lunch (double cut pork chop) and tour the Haven prior to 4000 people being on board.  I will report back after the trip.  Be well and thanks for posting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@ajsland5  We now know from this post that there is a separate Haven Security line akin to priority check-in security at the Airport.  We also know that past security if you go to the left, is the Haven Check-in.  Folks will attempt to stop you from going their so have your paperwork handy. 

Where is the separate security line for Haven guests? I though all go through regular security then you are sent to Haven check in line. Huge bonus if NOLA has a haven security line now.👍

27 minutes ago, Debde said:

Where is the separate security line for Haven guests? I though all go through regular security then you are sent to Haven check in line. Huge bonus if NOLA has a haven security line now.👍

It is my understanding from a previous post that there are two security lines on the Street Side.  One for Haven and one for everybody else.  That is what was reported anyway. 

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

It is my understanding from a previous post that there are two security lines on the Street Side.  One for Haven and one for everybody else.  That is what was reported anyway. 

Thank you. Please let us know how you navigated all that when you come back. I have to wait until January!! 😭

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Debde said:

Agree, huge bonus! Wasn't the case in 2017; that's great if they include it now. 😊

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/9/2019 at 11:31 PM, ajsland5 said:

On 11/10/2019 at 7:30 AM, Sthrngary said:

@ajsland5, This will be the very first time in 40 years that I will be able to drive to a cruise.  My wife and I are staying at the Holiday Inn because they have a reasonable Hotel, Cruise and Park program.  We intend to be at the port at 10:45 AM using an Uber.  We now know from this post that there is a separate Haven Security line akin to priority check-in security at the Airport.  We also know that past security if you go to the left, is the Haven Check-in.  Folks will attempt to stop you from going their so have your paperwork handy.  We have been to Nola many times so no real interest in the normal stuff prior to or after cruise. My goal is to get on the ship, get a drink, get into the Haven Restaurant for lunch (double cut pork chop) and tour the Haven prior to 4000 people being on board.  I will report back after the trip.  Be well and thanks for posting. 

Greetings...

LAST week there was an Haven security line all the way to the left. But it actually didn't matter.  All security lines moved quickly.  Same for the check in lines.  Some Non-Haven lines probably quicker.  Were on ship by 1130.

All in all...an easy and no-brainer event!

Edited by chill6x6
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, chill6x6 said:

Greetings...

LAST week there was an Haven security line all the way to the left. But it actually didn't matter.  All security lines moved quickly.  Same for the check in lines.  Some Non-Haven lines probably quicker.  Were on ship by 1130.

All in all...an easy and no-brainer event!

Thank you for the follow up! I had read some recent reviews that had said NCL embarkation out of NOLA was quite the process and I'm glad to hear some positive feedback...glad you had an easy time. I hope you guys had a great time on your cruise and enjoyed The Haven. 

• 1 month later...