Prepackaged sealed snack

nautica34

We take prepackaged snacks, granola bars, etc, off the ship with on on excursions all the time.  Never an issue.  You never know when you will be able to get lunch sometimes, and so a quick snack is always nice.  

They do have dogs sniffing bags at the Cozumel port, but its looking for drugs, not snacks.

8 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

We take prepackaged snacks, granola bars, etc, off the ship with on on excursions all the time.  Never an issue.  You never know when you will be able to get lunch sometimes, and so a quick snack is always nice.  

They do have dogs sniffing bags at the Cozumel port, but its looking for drugs, not snacks.

The dogs are not sniffing for drugs. They are sniffing for agricultural products. Fruits and vegetables. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

The dogs are not sniffing for drugs. They are sniffing for agricultural products. Fruits and vegetables. 

Not what I was told.  I was told that the bag inspector "people" are looking for food items, the dog is sniffing for drugs.  But doesn't really matter either way.  Just don't take anything illegal.  

8 hours ago, caugh51654 said:

I’ve never had my bag inspected as I leave the ship.  Only on the return. 

Mexican customs does an agricultural inspection at Cozumel. You are required to declare all food items. If you declare such the items are inspected to see if they are safe. Fruits or vegetables will be confiscated.They might also inspect your bag. They use food sniffer dogs to assist the inspection. I have seen them in action. If they smell something they will inspect your bag. As you walk into the port you may not notice they are doing this inspection unless you get stopped or see someone else get stopped. They don’t usually go thru every single bag. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, caugh51654 said:

I’ve never had my bag inspected as I leave the ship.  Only on the return. 

It is not as you leave the ship, it is at the end of the pier, as you exit the Dufry shop.  They have a set of tables set up, one line for those without bags, one line for those with bags.  Dog sniffs everyone, guards check inside bags.  They don't really dig down in them, just look inside.  We stopped in Cozumel, at Puerta Maya, 3 times in 2019 and it happened to us each time.

On 11/17/2019 at 9:16 AM, caugh51654 said:

I’ll be on the lookout.  Never happened to me In 15+ Cozumel stops but looks like it is likely.  It has been a little over a year since I’ve been there.  Thanks for the heads up! I’ll leave the banana on board. 

couple years ago we could not leave port fast because every person was checked and any food was taken from bags. those dogs are looking for food and we saw it in airport once as well , person was stopped because dos sniffed maffin in carry on.

27 minutes ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

couple years ago we could not leave port fast because every person was checked and any food was taken from bags. those dogs are looking for food and we saw it in airport once as well , person was stopped because dos sniffed maffin in carry on.

Was that as you left the ship or returned to the ship?  I know they don’t allow fruits etc to be brought on from islands (used to be because of a fruit fly concern🤷‍♀️).  Think the OP’s question is what can you take from the ship for the day while in port.  

31 minutes ago, caugh51654 said:

Was that as you left the ship or returned to the ship?  I know they don’t allow fruits etc to be brought on from islands (used to be because of a fruit fly concern🤷‍♀️).  Think the OP’s question is what can you take from the ship for the day while in port.  

It is as you leave the pier.

58 minutes ago, caugh51654 said:

Yes when we left the ship. I could not understand why we are not moving and why its so crowded . It was like customs but with dogs on pier . 

• 4 weeks later...