Transportation from Ft. Lauderdale airport to the ship in Miami

beshears

For those of you who have flown in to the Ft. Lauderdale airport, and cruised out of Miami, what is the best or cheapest transportation we can get, (we will not be staying at any hotel to get their transportation) other than a public bus, which we won't have time to take?  I have checked with Carnival, and know what they will charge which is very expensive from Ft. Lauderdale to Miami port, so thought I would ask. Taxi, Uber, or something else?

We had a Delta flight to FLL in Sept and the uber/lyft lot seemed like a long haul from our terminal.   no biggie if you're mobile and not in a hurry.  

we have used a private SUV previously from FLL when 4 of us were cruising out of POM.  it was about $100 ea way + tip.  not cheap but soooooo worth it. 

there are TONS of shuttle vans/buses that can transport you to the port, that's probably the most cost effective option. 

We have taken the Tri-Rail from FLL to MIA and then taken a cab to the cruise port. The cost according to tri-rail.com is $3.75 pp. I thought it was $5/ pp. Tri-Rail has a free shuttle from the FLL terminal to the train station and direct stop at MIA. It's a little planes, trains, and automobiles (buses) but we have never had any problems. Just understand that you are your own private porter.

1 minute ago, 2cents said:

We have taken the Tri-Rail from FLL to MIA and then taken a cab to the cruise port. The cost according to tri-rail.com is $3.75 pp. I thought it was $5/ pp. Tri-Rail has a free shuttle from the FLL terminal to the train station and direct stop at MIA. It's a little planes, trains, and automobiles (buses) but we have never had any problems. Just understand that you are your own private porter.

Train to MIA airport still leaves you a $20 Uber fromm the port - only makes sense if you are spending the night at a hotel near MIA.

Edited by JohninDC

Oh my, thank you ALL for your responses.  It was mentioned that we might be able to get SAS, QLS, Jiffy Jeff, MLS as some of the shuttles at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Since I am not familiar with any of these, would we have to book one of them ahead of time, or are they normally out where the passengers would be looking for rides?  Also, it was mentioned $15 pp.  Is that the start for a couple miles, and then it keeps adding up like a Taxi?

7 hours ago, beshears said:

Oh my, thank you ALL for your responses.  It was mentioned that we might be able to get SAS, QLS, Jiffy Jeff, MLS as some of the shuttles at the Ft. Lauderdale airport. Since I am not familiar with any of these, would we have to book one of them ahead of time, or are they normally out where the passengers would be looking for rides?  Also, it was mentioned $15 pp.  Is that the start for a couple miles, and then it keeps adding up like a Taxi?

You are better off with a reservation - they will contact you via cell phone to coordinate pick up location, etc.  $15 per person is the fare from port to FLL (or FLL area to port if you use them that way).  We usually add a tip on top of that when we used shared shuttles - we have almost exclusively switched over to using Uber and Lyft.

9 hours ago, beshears said:

Also, it was mentioned $15 pp.  Is that the start for a couple miles, and then it keeps adding up like a Taxi?

You need to pre book

some shuttles stop running about 3 pm  so check on that

It is  a flat rate  from $15-18  PP  depending on the company you use