Malta Jeep Tour Question

mrisj

Hi everyone.

My husband and I will be going on the Grandiosa next week from Genoa to Barcelona, with stops in Civitavecchia, Palermo and Valletta. 

For Valletta, I've been looking at the Jeep Tour excursion. This excursion best suits our wishes, however, I'll be 20 weeks pregnant and it says "not suitable for pregnant women". It's probably because of (possible) bumpiness, but I'm not sure if they put this because they are overly cautious and don't want to be held liable, or if there's a genuine risk. So I was wondering if anyone on this board has experience with this particular excursion in Valletta and can tell me how rough and bumpy it really was. If it's just a jeep tour across roads, I don't see any problems 🤷‍♀️

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, mrisj said:

Hi everyone.

My husband and I will be going on the Grandiosa next week from Genoa to Barcelona, with stops in Civitavecchia, Palermo and Valletta. 

For Valletta, I've been looking at the Jeep Tour excursion. This excursion best suits our wishes, however, I'll be 20 weeks pregnant and it says "not suitable for pregnant women". It's probably because of (possible) bumpiness, but I'm not sure if they put this because they are overly cautious and don't want to be held liable, or if there's a genuine risk. So I was wondering if anyone on this board has experience with this particular excursion in Valletta and can tell me how rough and bumpy it really was. If it's just a jeep tour across roads, I don't see any problems 🤷‍♀️

Thanks! 

Haven't taken that tour but from the title my first thoughts were, wow, that is probably going to be a bumpy trip as the areas we were in downtown and off a bit had cobblestone streets and bumpy roads.  We didn't go everywhere and it was also 2008 so things may have changed.

The jeeps are equipemnt to deliver babys.

What part of "not suitable for pregnant women" do you not understand?

The excursion provider has far more experience than yourself so just follow his rules.

Pregnancy is a joyous time, why risk your baby's life, you have your whole life before you to do a jeep tour.

Why not do a 100 meter bungy jump.

13 hours ago, G.M.T. said:

The jeeps are equipemnt to deliver babys.

What part of "not suitable for pregnant women" do you not understand?

The excursion provider has far more experience than yourself so just follow his rules.

Pregnancy is a joyous time, why risk your baby's life, you have your whole life before you to do a jeep tour.

Why not do a 100 meter bungy jump.

Wow that's rude. Like I explained in my post, some companies are overly cautious and only care about liability. Of course I'm not risking by baby's life, that's why I'm asking this question and not just booking the tour. Jeez. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, allmotormark said:

I have been on that tour and yes there was sections that were bumpy. I wouldn’t recommend it for you. Also seating wouldn’t be comfortable. 

4 hours ago, Host Carolyn said:

Roads in Malta are bumpy. Valletta is a stunning old city to explore on your own or perhaps a visit to Mdina, the silent city? Please don't risk a pregnancy complication on a tour not suitable for pregnant women!

Thank you both, that's helpful 😊 Just sucks because it's really the only excursion we want to do. I can't walk very far (nothing to do with my pregnancy) and every tour has a lot of walking, so this would've been perfect. Will try to find something else. 

As an alternative in Malta, check out Rolling Geeks located in the Three Cities of Vittoriosa, Senglea, and Cospicua, right across the water from the cruise port. These are GPS equipped, self guided golf carts with audio commentary which gives you turn by turn instructions. It tells you where to go, what you’re seeing, and when to park your cart and explore. They are a lot of fun and it’s an easy way to traverse the narrow cobbled streets. We took the water ferry across (terminal located a few minutes walk from the cruise port). It was a wonderful day for the whole family.

About excursions that say “not suitable for pregnant women”, I’ll share with you our cautionary tale. A few years ago, my wife and I went on a Caribbean cruise. We had just found out that my wife was pregnant a few weeks prior to our departure, but we wanted to try a shallow water scuba excursion for beginners. Even though it said that it wasn’t suitable for pregnant women, we felt that it would be safe since we wouldn’t be going any deeper than when snorkeling, and my wife wasn’t feeling the pregnancy yet, so we did it.

A few weeks after our return from that cruise, my wife had a miscarriage. And even though the doctor reassured us that our excursion had nothing to do with the miscarriage and that, at that early point in pregnancies, these things do happen without any assistance, we carried a horrible guilt thinking that maybe we had done something to cause it.

So even if you think that it should be safe enough, don’t do something that is labeled as “not suitable for pregnant women”. God forbid, but if for some reason you have a similar experience to ours, believe me, you don’t want to deal with the mental anguish that comes from thinking that something that you weren’t supposed to do affected your pregnancy, even if it didn’t. 

Have a wonderful cruise! Enjoy Malta, one of my favorite ports in the world! 

Edited by Tapi

2 hours ago, Tapi said:

As an alternative in Malta, check out Rolling Geeks located in the Three Cities of Vittoriosa, Senglea, and Cospicua, right across the water from the cruise port. These are GPS equipped, self guided golf carts with audio commentary which gives you turn by turn instructions. It tells you where to go, what you’re seeing, and when to park your cart and explore. They are a lot of fun and it’s an easy way to traverse the narrow cobbled streets. We took the water ferry across (terminal located a few minutes walk from the cruise port). It was a wonderful day for the whole family.

About excursions that say “not suitable for pregnant women”, I’ll share with you our cautionary tale. A few years ago, my wife and I went on a Caribbean cruise. We had just found out that my wife was pregnant a few weeks prior to our departure, but we wanted to try a shallow water scuba excursion for beginners. Even though it said that it wasn’t suitable for pregnant women, we felt that it would be safe since we wouldn’t be going any deeper than when snorkeling, and my wife wasn’t feeling the pregnancy yet, so we did it.

A few weeks after our return from that cruise, my wife had a miscarriage. And even though the doctor reassured us that our excursion had nothing to do with the miscarriage and that, at that early point in pregnancies, these things do happen without any assistance, we carried a horrible guilt thinking that maybe we had done something to cause it.

So even if you think that it should be safe enough, don’t do something that is labeled as “not suitable for pregnant women”. God forbid, but if for some reason you have a similar experience to ours, believe me, you don’t want to deal with the mental anguish that comes from thinking that something that you weren’t supposed to do affected your pregnancy, even if it didn’t. 

Have a wonderful cruise! Enjoy Malta, one of my favorite ports in the world! 

Thanks for your reply and your personal story. I've looked at Rolling Geeks! Think we'll do that, sounds like a lot of fun 🙂

• Like 1