Sanctuary Questions

momfrommn

Further to the above - On warm weather trips, board as early as you possibly can, then run don't walk up to the Sanctuary. If you take your time, you'll find the best loungers  already booked, particularly for the sea days, as people like us are already lining up not long after noon on Embarkation Day. Sanctuary operating hours are about 8AM to 5PM give or take a bit. Afternoon tea is served around 3PM.

We're on the Regal this Sunday and will be racing up to book before we even drop our carry-on bags in the room. Helps gain a few spots in the line ;o)

• Like 1

I'll add a further comment, regarding shade.  On the Royal class ships there is little to none in the sanctuary, be careful in your choice of lounger if you're on a warm weather cruise as you'll be baking much of the day.  IMHO the retreat pool (no extra charge, but first come first serve) may actually be a better choice on the early Royal class ships.  It's a large space, with at least some seats in the shade.  

I will second or third the prior advice.  If you're intent on getting the sanctuary board as early as you can and go directly there to make your booking.  Personally, I leave my wife in the elevator lobby with the carry on's and go up solo since I'm quicker without the luggage and DW.  If the elevators are locked out you may have to climb a dozen flights . . . 

• Like 2

Hello IX200.  You must be excited to go on your cruise!   I don't know if you have been on any other threads with current info about the Regal in the Caribbean, but I hope maybe you will.  I would love to know more about any Entertainment.  Looks like the Beatlemaniacs are not onboard?. The Chefs Table and the Winemakers Table, or will it be the new thing at Sabatini's?  Like where, when, and what is the cost. We definitely want to make some plans for dining when we board.

How difficult is getting a spot on a cooler weather cruise? British Isles to be exact. We plan on visiting Stonehenge before we board, so we definitely won’t be on early. Our cruise has 3 sea days, and I want to experience this area at least once. 

1 hour ago, NCbmwmom said:

How difficult is getting a spot on a cooler weather cruise? British Isles to be exact. We plan on visiting Stonehenge before we board, so we definitely won’t be on early. Our cruise has 3 sea days, and I want to experience this area at least once. 

I don't think you will have a problem.  Sanctuary popularity seems tops in the Caribbean.  But still advisable to go there as soon as you can after boarding.

• Like 1

Here is a Sanctuary report from CROWN (boarded Nov 7, 2019) in Port Everglades for 10-nights.  I was literally the first person on the ship.  We were at Terminal 2 around 9:30am and were inside the terminal doors, but held in stanchion lines leading to security screening.  There were less than 50 people ahead of us.  Soon after, the lines (4 active) were opened and security staff were quickly processing passengers.  We were quickly through there (wine table not staffed yet of course) and through the line with Medallions to scan check-in and then upstairs to the "lounge".  We were in Group A and sat by the door.  When the announcement came to board, around 11:20am as I recall, it was a short walk out and onto the gangway.  I and my friend were by far the first two at Sanctuary to book and there were not too many spots for the Sea Days already taken by B2B'ers.  We had no issue booking what we wanted. 

When we showed up for the last two sea days (afternoon only), it was evident the place was sold out for both days, but I did not ask the in-charge when they sold out.  I also did not ask how many went for full cruise, but I could tell from a brief glance at the chart, there could not have been many.  This was a port-intensive trip with three days at sea in total.

The chairs are the original metal chairs, but I would say the cushions (original style) must have been recently replaced as they were firm and comfortable and not at all worn down and saggy.  More chairs in the shaded section than they used to have several years ago.  Also, the doubles were removed from the outside edge (not very popular) and were in the middle of the deck.

We are on a 28 day cruise, on the Emerald, are we definitely need shade.

If we are able to book a few days, and we try it a couple of times and don't like it ..... would we be able to cancel some of the days towards the end of the cruise and be given a refund for what we cancel? 

21 minutes ago, debsjc said:

We are on a 28 day cruise, on the Emerald, are we definitely need shade.

If we are able to book a few days, and we try it a couple of times and don't like it ..... would we be able to cancel some of the days towards the end of the cruise and be given a refund for what we cancel? 

Yes, NP to cancel, but you should do it at least the day before - unless a last minute back-out due to rain.

And there is no refund needed as you are not charged until each the day you occupy a chair.  Exception is a full cruise booking in which case you are charged up-front.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Yes, NP to cancel, but you should do it at least the day before - unless a last minute back-out due to rain.

And there is no refund needed as you are not charged until each the day you occupy a chair.  Exception is a full cruise booking in which case you are charged up-front.

Thank you. We would make sure to do it a few days ahead of time.

It sounds like it's so popular we may not be able to get in anyway! will go there first after embarking, and see what we can get 

2 hours ago, steelers36 said:

The only way they won't refund due to poor weather is if you booked for the entire cruise.  They actually closed the Sanctuary on one of our sailings and wouldn't give either us or our friends a refund for the day.  Didn't seem exactly fair since we were not allowed to go in.

6 hours ago, NCbmwmom said:

We did a British Isles cruise on Caribbean a couple years back during the month of August (so, hot weather by UK standards).

I don't recall the Sanctuary selling out, though on some sea days it was fairly well populated.  That cruise is fairly port intensive which I think also mutes demand somewhat.  Still, don't delay getting up there for best selection of seats.  

One more thing I'll add is that most of the Grand ships have added a few loungers near the center of the sanctuary.  At first glance these may not appear to be great as they are a ways back from the sea view.  However, we've found these to actually be fairly great seats - the view is really just fine once you settle in, the ships motion will give you plenty of water views.  The location tends to be less windy in most conditions too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, California Traveler said:

I am new to Princess - what is this Sanctuary?  Pay to sit there?  Please educate me.  Are there no shade seats at the main pool?

Yes, it is a pay area and yes, there are shady places to sit all over the ship...including the pools. Some ships even have a covered pool.

The Sanctuary is adults only. Very peaceful. Choose a lounger when you book. Cost is: $20 for half day (AM or PM), $40 for all day and $30/day for the full cruise. Those prices are per person.

The AM session includes breakfast type snacks with coffee, tea, etc. The PM session includes afternoon tea. There's also a lunch menu that's extra charge (I think, never done it).

Some love it, some don't. I'm in the "don't" camp.

5 hours ago, jondfk said:

One more thing I'll add is that most of the Grand ships have added a few loungers near the center of the sanctuary.  At first glance these may not appear to be great as they are a ways back from the sea view.  However, we've found these to actually be fairly great seats - the view is really just fine once you settle in, the ships motion will give you plenty of water views.  The location tends to be less windy in most conditions too.

And you can get full shade there if desired, depending on the lounger location.