Drink Package Problems

stetucke

5 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

They tested removing it and were not pleased with the results.  I was not making an issue to discuss but rather just stating what I believe to be fact.   

so is it a demographic issue, a staff issue, a quality of booze issue? I'm confused as to why Carnival can't make it work.

I'll bet one of the reasons they  have the drink limit so that people will be less likely to share their drink package.  If the drinks were unlimited, I could see many people having no problem getting drinks for people not on the plan.  At least with a 15 drink limit, there is a limit to the sharing.  I can't imagine drinking 15 alcoholic drinks in one day.  I couldn't drink like an alcoholic, even on vacation.   Maybe another reason is to limit the heavy drinker from irritating other people and also from getting alcohol poisoning.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

so is it a demographic issue, a staff issue, a quality of booze issue? I'm confused as to why Carnival can't make it work.

Because for whatever reason, removing the hard limit caused the people to order exponentially more drinks, whether they were drinking them or all of their friends, making it untenable from a profit perspective.   This was also tested with not requiring all adults to buy the package, same results

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

I'll bet one of the reasons they  have the drink limit so that people will be less likely to share their drink package.  If the drinks were unlimited, I could see many people having no problem getting drinks for people not on the plan.  At least with a 15 drink limit, there is a limit to the sharing.  I can't imagine drinking 15 alcoholic drinks in one day.  I couldn't drink like an alcoholic, even on vacation.   Maybe another reason is to limit the heavy drinker from irritating other people and also from getting alcohol poisoning.

Possibly all the above mentioned.  I can tell you abuse of cheers happens every cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNcruising02 said:

Good point! I have a friend that didn't realize there was a limit and was buying his friends drinks, and reached the limit early and was cut off. He said he ended up heading to his cabin early because he could no longer buy a drink.

• Like 1

We had cheers for the first time in November and 2 drinks showed up on the folio that were not ours. One bloody Mary charged 10 minutes after the one we really ordered and a   bud light at another time.  I would guess waiter mistake based on the timing. We were never near 15 so it didn't matter 

Tons of sharing and waste happens on Royal and they don’t even seem to mind. At first thought, I could see it cutting into profits significantly, but I don’t think people are super abusive or they would pay better attention.

sharing once in awhile is probably fine as it is insulting the the pax to police/bust them and may lead to more boozing or revenue producing activities. Carnival turns a blind eye to people giving away their hard earned champagne and free wine bottles from the steakhouse I believe. Of course, some internet moral police probably think that is unacceptable so maybe I shouldnT talk about that practice lol

26 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

Tons of sharing and waste happens on Royal and they don’t even seem to mind. At first thought, I could see it cutting into profits significantly, but I don’t think people are super abusive or they would pay better attention.

sharing once in awhile is probably fine as it is insulting the the pax to police/bust them and may lead to more boozing or revenue producing activities. Carnival turns a blind eye to people giving away their hard earned champagne and free wine bottles from the steakhouse I believe. Of course, some internet moral police probably think that is unacceptable so maybe I shouldnT talk about that practice lol

Just like everywhere, there are rule followers and rule breakers. One group does not affect the other, but one affects everyone. 

12 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

why have other lines made it work? I like Carnival more than Royal but I have to say Royal doesn't seem to sweat the small stuff about people sharing or overindulging while using their package like Carnival does. Maybe you have more insider knowledge about the % of people buying the packages on the different lines so maybe that has something to do with it. 

I truly don't care if people get drunk and have a good time as long as they aren't hurting anyone or putting themselves in serious danger. That said, we see 3 really intoxicated people on Carnival for every one on Royal. Not saying that is a good or bad thing but the 15 drink limit doesn't do its job from that perspective.

It's not possible .according to John Heald no one gets drunk on carnival it's a family cruise line.