Drink Package Problems

stetucke

I have taken a few Carnival cruises over the years. The last CCL trip 2 years ago my group noticed a few times that the number of drinks Carnival had said we ordered was more than actual. We had several people in our group that were not big drinkers but had the package because everyone in their room had to have it. It never really became a problem because we never hit the 15 limit. As I've booked another CCL trip it came back to mind and I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this before. 

Haven't had any problems like that. I do know I was givin the "2 drink warning" once. Bartender just turned to me and held up her 2 fingers then just smiled.

So after I had my 14th one told her to wait the five minutes then add a shot to my drink.

Edited by beerman2

It happened to us on the Sunshine back in August.  Wife and I order drinks at the same time.  At diner, she got the warning she was one drink away from the limit and I was two away.  We sail on the Sunshine in 5 days.  We will ask for a receipt for every drink.

2 minutes ago, eagletwo said:

It happened to us on the Sunshine back in August.  Wife and I order drinks at the same time.  At diner, she got the warning she was one drink away from the limit and I was two away.  We sail on the Sunshine in 5 days.  We will ask for a receipt for every drink.

How many were you at?

7 hours ago, ober134 said:

I've heard of this happening to other people. Speculation that waiters were charging the wrong cards. Maybe an accident or perhaps to give extra drinks to other passengers. It's never happened to me tho.

What would a waiter do that?

My guess is that they "remember" folio numbers. Many cruisers have reported that they don't always need to show their card because the bartender knows their folio number. This creates the possibility that they hit the wrong number when entering the folio number because they are moving so fast. This would only happen when the card is not actually scanned and the "remembered" folio number is entered.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

My guess is that they "remember" folio numbers. Many cruisers have reported that they don't always need to show their card because the bartender knows their folio number. This creates the possibility that they hit the wrong number when entering the folio number because they are moving so fast. This would only happen when the card is not actually scanned and the "remembered" folio number is entered.

I can see it happen that way as an accident, but was questioning why they would do it purposely

I would agree with the drinks going onto the wrong card theory. We were traveling in a big group ordering multiple drinks at one time. After the first night I don't think we ever needed the card again at dinner so it seems very likely the waiters were just using the wrong card. 

It seems like it is somewhat common from the responses. 

34 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I don't think taking your receipts will work.  Let's say you've had your limit but only take ten receipts to GS to prove you've had less.  Then it's their word against yours.  Their records show you've had fifteen.  

Now that would take a lot of balls to try that and put that in the really, really stupid category.

37 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

I don't think taking your receipts will work.  Let's say you've had your limit but only take ten receipts to GS to prove you've had less.  Then it's their word against yours.  Their records show you've had fifteen.  

1 minute ago, beerman2 said:

Now that would take a lot of balls to try that and put that in the really, really stupid category.

Yes it would but I was just making a point that just because somebody shows up with proof that they had ten doesn't mean that they didn't have fifteen.  Was the person close to being intoxicated and never kept the  last five receipts?  

11 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Yes it would but I was just making a point that just because somebody shows up with proof that they had ten doesn't mean that they didn't have fifteen.  Was the person close to being intoxicated and never kept the  last five receipts?  

In theory, the ship could then pull up info on the other five (date, time, place) and check the security footage to see if it was really you purchasing those other five. 

Never had that happen in over a dozen Carnival cruises.

That being said, I am sure mistakes happen since some folio numbers are sometimes manually entered along with 6 or 7 other guests at one time.

Edited by ray98

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I can see it happen that way as an accident, but was questioning why they would do it purposely

I’m not saying anyone would do it purposely but they could “buy” a drink for a good tipping customer by putting it on somebody’s folio who has a Cheers account. I’d think most people wouldn’t notice.

39 minutes ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

I’m not saying anyone would do it purposely but they could “buy” a drink for a good tipping customer by putting it on somebody’s folio who has a Cheers account. I’d think most people wouldn’t notice.

Understand, but getting caught doing that could mean their job, much easier just to comp or not produce a slip at all.  

• Like 1