Culinary Courses on Splendor - Cost Logic

cruisealert

We decided to sign up for a culinary course on our April 1st cruise on this new ship. The course costs $89/person. So my question is why does Regent charge for this, but Excursions are free. Most everything on board is "included " in our costs. The incremental costs for these classes is minimal. Why not just provide it frr of charge.

Anyone have any good explanation?

17 minutes ago, cruisealert said:

We may see you. I just thought they give free wine tasting events -- but not this. We sure hope its worthwhile. We are from Oklahoma. Where in Texas are you from??

Dallas area.  We will be flying from dfw to Miami day before cruise.  
I’m not much of a cook anymore due to damaged hands and I was never a chef, but I heard they do the cutting of ingredients before the class...we decided to sign up for an afternoon one. 
Hope to cross paths. 

4 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

It's a fun few hours, I believe its worth the price.  If they did offer it, they couldn't supply the demand.  Guessing just like laundry really isn't free unless you want to do it yourself in the laundry room.  It's just an added service.

Besides, if only "X" number of people can reserve a spot, it becomes somewhat of a special event and something you may reserve again and encourage your friends to purchase.

9 hours ago, cruisealert said:

The course costs $89/person. So my question is why does Regent charge for this, but Excursions are free. Most everything on board is "included " in our costs.

The culinary courses are only available on Splendor & Explorer, not on Regent’s other three ships. There is very limited availability (number of workstations) and they are not offered every day.

Therefore it could be considered as “very unfair” and “mis-advertising” to offer the courses as included as not all guests would have the opportunity.

However, I do think that Regent could include a cookbook & souvenir apron within the price, rather than offering these at additional cost.

PS: Do the higher members of the SS Society receive a discount as with paid excursions? I can’t recall.

The courses we have done in the past were a lot of fun, and are a good way to use OBC.

I think Flossie is right.  With only 18 work stations in the "Culinary Arts Centre" (prentensius name if ever there was one!) and courses lasting 2+ hours IF the teacher could teach 3 per day (which she doesn't) you could still not make them available to all.

Plus having run international educational programmes all around the world I know the value of making someone pay at least something for an excursion or an event.  They are far more likely to show up - or to cancel within a deadline so others can then participate - if their cash is on the line!!

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Like 1