side to sides cruises at different ports

cary1306

hi has anyone done side to sides at different port? I have done them at the same port in Fort Lauderdale port but now I have to fo up to port of Miami on the same day. Has anyone done this actually? and how did you do it? There will only be two of us

I'm going to be doing such a switch in ports on the same day for the first time in January.  I will be driving my own car, so that will be my method of transfer.  I expect it will be another "learning experience".  This will be only my second time driving into the Port of Miami.  The first time was in 1979; nothing will be familiar to me.

a lot has changed wrt driving into POM since 1979!!!!

It is MUCH easier now ..... from 95 just follow signs to Miami Beach & to the tunnel . . . the tunnel exit will be to the LEFT after you cross the draw bridge between Miami mainland and Watson Island.

image.thumb.png.e7efb458180d44bdc133c94620c24958.png

the tunnel is FREE ... no toll charge

Edited by Capt_BJ

23 hours ago, Capt_BJ said:

a lot has changed wrt driving into POM since 1979!!!!

It is MUCH easier now ..... from 95 just follow signs to Miami Beach & to the tunnel . . . the tunnel exit will be to the LEFT after you cross the draw bridge between Miami mainland and Watson Island.

image.thumb.png.e7efb458180d44bdc133c94620c24958.png

the tunnel is FREE ... no toll charge

Thanks for the map and it does look "simple".  Because of previous driving experience in downtown Miami on I-95, I plan to use US 1 knowing that it will be slower, but hopefully less frantic traffic.  

I'll be sailing on MSC Meraviglia whose terminal, I believe, is to the West of where the tunnel route appears to end on the Port's island.  My thinking is that it will be easier to get to the MSC terminal and parking garage by getting off US 1 and using the bridge that goes directly into the Port.  

Your thoughts on my plans would be very much appreciated. 

My thoughts ... and btw I was in Miami last week

Anyone who told you US-1 is less stressful than 95 is IMO dreaming.  DD lived in Miami until recently and office to apartment was along US-1 .... OMG!  Not saying 95 is fun ... but US-1 ain't better AND has all those stop lights.  

In general I'd say reviews of the port tunnel have been THANK YOU ... keeping us AWAY from downtown and the crazy intersection to get into the port . . .

tunnel dumps you onto the road that passes all the <primary> cruise terminals.  TODAY I'd suspect going in the 'old way' could be more confusing!  

my two cents ... do what makes you feel good

Edited by Capt_BJ

On 11/24/2019 at 6:15 PM, Capt_BJ said:

My thoughts ... and btw I was in Miami last week

Anyone who told you US-1 is less stressful than 95 is IMO dreaming.  DD lived in Miami until recently and office to apartment was along US-1 .... OMG!  Not saying 95 is fun ... but US-1 ain't better AND has all those stop lights.  

In general I'd say reviews of the port tunnel have been THANK YOU ... keeping us AWAY from downtown and the crazy intersection to get into the port . . .

tunnel dumps you onto the road that passes all the <primary> cruise terminals.  TODAY I'd suspect going in the 'old way' could be more confusing!  

my two cents ... do what makes you feel good

Oh my gosh!  What to do?  I appreciate your advice and insights.  Thank you.  As a AAA member, I need to visit one of their counselors to help me determine the proper route.

My car has Onstar navigation.  Would plugging in the address of the MSC Terminal be of help when I leave the Port Everglades parking garage?

18 hours ago, bilyclub said:

The signage is pretty good at the POM. I wouldn't trust any GPS nav.   MSC uses the original Royal terminal at POM which is easily accessible from the tunnel. 

Thank you for that information.  I appreciate it.