BirdTravels on the Inaugural Voyage of the Encore to the Eastern Caribbean

BirdTravels

On 1/6/2020 at 6:04 AM, bkrickles1 said:

I want to thank you again for just the best review on these forums for the Encore.

Not that the others aren't great too but yours has every bit of pertinent info to plan ahead and avoid some common pitfalls.

I feel like I have an advantage after reading your review, which I did for second time this past weekend.

I printed the dailies and took some notes on what I want to do when we first board.

13 days and extremely excited!

Thanks again!

Have a wonderful cruise on this beautiful, new ship.

We try to answer questions here on Cruise Critic. But, we see the same questions day after day. When I do a live post, I try to collect information on all of those things that people ask about daily. Freestyle Dailies, Menus, Bar Menus, Special Shows (Prohibition), Splash Academy programs, etc. and put them on one thread for a ship. 

And I am happy that you have been able to use some of the information in this thread. It usually takes at least 3 hours a day while on our cruise to collect and post all of this information (over the slow satellite internet). 

Over the past couple of years, we have done live posts from the Encore, Joy, Escape x 2, Breakaway, Getaway, Bliss, Sky, Harmony of the Seas, Symphony of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, and Allure of the Seas with a similar collection of information from those ships. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3

Hi great info.  Love that you have the menus posted.  We are going on the Encore in May.  I have a question about the show times.  Do they have an early and late show for Choir of Man and Kinky Boots?   If so would you know the times?

On 1/9/2020 at 10:19 PM, CUontheC said:

Hi great info.  Love that you have the menus posted.  We are going on the Encore in May.  I have a question about the show times.  Do they have an early and late show for Choir of Man and Kinky Boots?   If so would you know the times?

Post #21 has the show schedule. 
AE8344EE-291C-4BE9-B667-95B387BACC1F.jpeg.63e985ec83c2c9435c5f08e1ebc65a77.jpeg

BF52FCB6-DB5B-4885-B31F-E50CC4175E8A.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mamashamiller said:

Does this comedian change his routine or is seeing him once is enough?

thanks for all your info

Early shows are family oriented. Late shows are 18+. Depending on the comedian, they may just spice up the late routine (toss in a few f-bombs) or do a completely different routine. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Early shows are family oriented. Late shows are 18+. Depending on the comedian, they may just spice up the late routine (toss in a few f-bombs) or do a completely different routine. 

I didn’t have my glasses on so I didn’t realize there was a joe and John 🤪 I thought it was just one guy.  So is this comedy social club small and how early do I have to be to get a seat? And do I fill out this request on the first day for comedian tix?

Edited by mamashamiller

25 minutes ago, mamashamiller said:

I didn’t have my glasses on so I didn’t realize there was a joe and John 🤪 I thought it was just one guy.  So is this comedy social club small and how early do I have to be to get a seat? And do I fill out this request on the first day for comedian tix?

You book tickets for all shows in The Social or using a touch screen kiosk. The shows sell out quickly. At The Social, you can also book escape rooms, Canvas by U, go karts, escape room. 

• Like 1

I notice on the menus for the Main dining room that coffee is listed as Starbucks at an extra charge also a coffee dispensing machine at a cost in the Buffet. Is there any place on the ship besides your room where you can get a cup of coffee for no additional cost?

1 hour ago, danmaff said:

I notice on the menus for the Main dining room that coffee is listed as Starbucks at an extra charge also a coffee dispensing machine at a cost in the Buffet. Is there any place on the ship besides your room where you can get a cup of coffee for no additional cost?

Any regular coffee (non espresso) is free. Free coffee in every restaurant. Free coffee in the buffet. Free coffee delivered to your room via room service in the morning. 

you only pay if you want a fancy coffee from starbucks. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 2:28 AM, measlesmom said:

We are meeting friends on the ship. Where do you suggest we meet during Sail Away? Observation Deck? Or is there another area where it will be easy to find each other?

We meet at one of the outside bars on the Waterfront on Deck 8. No need to fight the 4500 people trying to get up the elevators. 

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Once again, thanks for all the detail.

We're sailing in 5 days and my daughter, just last night, was asking about the fitness classes (specifically the Ryde indoor cycling), and all I had to do was search through your review and I found the scheduling and prices.

And then, my wife asked about the hairdryer, and I found your pics of the hairdryer and comment to leave yours at home.

I feel as prepared as I ever have for a cruise.

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 1:47 PM, BirdTravels said:

It’s beginning to look like Christmas, everywhere you go....

78598748-64A9-4EAE-B3A3-133E71687EDF.jpeg

C0E979FE-788E-4145-A898-2E6F3B703E4B.jpeg

33255341-7B7A-49C1-B018-8DFC2D147F4B.jpeg

9F7B758B-64E0-4DFC-BF3B-6398DDE131AA.jpeg

353C659E-6D10-449C-8114-F72324479F0B.jpeg

5E676E27-8768-4814-8282-6786F71535C2.jpeg

D50532CD-DC84-4ED9-9336-9F337DB4BBC8.jpeg

70F963A4-085C-464E-923B-A867ADAD56F5.jpeg

57B27C6B-FB54-4427-B6A5-4181186FCC10.jpeg

621D3266-A2B6-4260-BA61-B1CDB843FC65.jpeg

19215ECA-2D23-42D7-8F3D-BD3923065FC0.jpeg

BEEFB879-F743-4C11-8012-1607BDC625FC.jpeg

thank you for the Christmas decorations photos. We were on the Bliss for its first December sailing. I have to say that tree in the Atrium by Cocoas is VERY SMALL on the Encore. 😒🎄

On 1/14/2020 at 7:25 AM, bkrickles1 said:

Once again, thanks for all the detail.

We're sailing in 5 days and my daughter, just last night, was asking about the fitness classes (specifically the Ryde indoor cycling), and all I had to do was search through your review and I found the scheduling and prices.

And then, my wife asked about the hairdryer, and I found your pics of the hairdryer and comment to leave yours at home.

I feel as prepared as I ever have for a cruise.

Thanks!

You are very welcome!

Have a wonderful cruise. We loved the Encore and will be sailing to Bermuda on her once she moves home port to New York. 

4 hours ago, Foybles said:

In specialty restaurants with cover charge, what is included with that? I assume there are upcharges beyond the cover charges. Thank you -- your posts are extremely helpful!

The only cover charge restaurant is Teppanyaki. You select your protein(s) (beef, chicken, shrimp, scallop) and the chef cooks it for you at the table. No upcharges. 

All other restaurants are a la carte. Like McDonalds, you select items and pay for each item (hamburger, fries, apple pie, coke). 

Edited by BirdTravels

On 1/15/2020 at 12:47 PM, Noworkforme23 said:

thank you for the Christmas decorations photos. We were on the Bliss for its first December sailing. I have to say that tree in the Atrium by Cocoas is VERY SMALL on the Encore. 😒🎄

Yeah, the decorations were limited compared to other ships. This was Thanksgiving week, so maybe they put up more later. 

Just read all of this amazing review. Thank you so much for sharing your trip in abundant detail. We will are new to NCL; I booked Encore to Bermuda out of NYC last year before she was built. I've just now  begun looking for details & planning tips. So many reviews were negative & vague. This review moved me from hesitant to excited. Thanks again! Like others mentioned, I took notes & plan to re-read. 💗

• Like 2

On 1/13/2020 at 9:01 PM, danmaff said:

You can also get free coffee in the observation lounge (deck 15 forward) from 6:00 am to about 8:00 pm.

On 1/23/2020 at 4:12 PM, ShyMiss said:

Just read all of this amazing review. Thank you so much for sharing your trip in abundant detail. We will are new to NCL; I booked Encore to Bermuda out of NYC last year before she was built. I've just now  begun looking for details & planning tips. So many reviews were negative & vague. This review moved me from hesitant to excited. Thanks again! Like others mentioned, I took notes & plan to re-read. 💗

Thank you. 

We liked the Encore so much, we have booked a cruise to Bermuda. 

• Like 3

Thanks for the comprehensive review OP. We are sailing in February.  

question regarding vibe pass- I have heard it’s guest service for the pick up, but I think you said it’s at the social. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Thanks!