L.A. port transportation

seahorse42

We are frequent cruisers. Our recent transportation from the San Fernando Valley of L.A. to the Port of L.A. and even to LAX and back has been really bad. We have used Super Shuttle and Prime Time in the past but their return home transportation has been terrible these last 2 years. We need input as to what others use. Please help. Roger

Seahorse, it is not clear what the problem was with Super Shuttle or Prime but. if you just want to consider an alternative, my brother tried Execucar (sedan service offered by Super Shuttle) for his last San Pedro cruise and was very pleased.  He lives in Placentia.

Of course, there is always Uber or Lyft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, XBGuy said:

Seahorse, it is not clear what the problem was with Super Shuttle or Prime but. if you just want to consider an alternative, my brother tried Execucar (sedan service offered by Super Shuttle) for his last San Pedro cruise and was very pleased.  He lives in Placentia.

Of course, there is always Uber or Lyft.

For LAX to the port or Disneyland, etc., we use Execucar (which BTW is owned by Super Shuttle) since it is consistently good on all counts. Of course, it's more expensive than Super Shuttle. But, this is definitely one situation where "you get what you pay for."

• Like 1

We're probably a similar distance from LA ports, and always drive our own car the afternoon before the cruise (or flight), staying at a hotel with port shuttle/cruise parking packages.    For us, it's much more relaxing and a pleasant way to start the trip.   At the port, look at the Doubletree and Crown Plaza in San Pedro.     For the trip home, because the ships arrive early in the day, it's easy to avoid rush hour traffic.    If you're going to the airport rather than the port, there are many choices with "Park'n'Fly" rates.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seahorse42 said:

We are frequent cruisers. Our recent transportation from the San Fernando Valley of L.A. to the Port of L.A. and even to LAX and back has been really bad. We have used Super Shuttle and Prime Time in the past but their return home transportation has been terrible these last 2 years. We need input as to what others use. Please help. Roger

For the port, we use one of our sons.  Or drive/park at the port ourselves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kartgv said:

We're probably a similar distance from LA ports, and always drive our own car the afternoon before the cruise (or flight), staying at a hotel with port shuttle/cruise parking packages.    For us, it's much more relaxing and a pleasant way to start the trip.   At the port, look at the Doubletree and Crown Plaza in San Pedro.     For the trip home, because the ships arrive early in the day, it's easy to avoid rush hour traffic.    If you're going to the airport rather than the port, there are many choices with "Park'n'Fly" rates.    

You're assuming that folks aren't doing long cruises??? I don't know if Park 'n' Fly has reasonable packages for things like a 30 day transPacific cruises.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You're assuming that folks aren't doing long cruises??? I don't know if Park 'n' Fly has reasonable packages for things like a 30 day transPacific cruises.

You're right, it wouldn't be the best solution for a 30 day cruise, but we've done it at LAX for as much as 3 weeks.   We got a 2 week package with staying the night before a flight, then another 1 week staying the night we returned.    Not ideal, but just another option to look at.    Also...the Doubletree in San Pedro doesn't specify how long you can park there, just says "for the duration of your cruise", but in reality would probably put a cap on it at some point.    

For 30 day cruises, we rent a car to drive up, another for the return.    Renting through Costco, we've paid as little as $45 each way, so that's another option.   

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

You're right, it wouldn't be the best solution for a 30 day cruise, but we've done it at LAX for as much as 3 weeks.   We got a 2 week package with staying the night before a flight, then another 1 week staying the night we returned.    Not ideal, but just another option to look at.    Also...the Doubletree in San Pedro doesn't specify how long you can park there, just says "for the duration of your cruise", but in reality would probably put a cap on it at some point.    

For 30 day cruises, we rent a car to drive up, another for the return.    Renting through Costco, we've paid as little as $45 each way, so that's another option.   

Rental car? Just more hassle. Find a good car service or, in a pinch, use Execucar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kartgv said:

Renting through Costco, we've paid as little as $45 each way, so that's another option.   

That is a pretty good deal as far as getting from San Diego to San Pedro.  A heck of a lot better than any private car service you are likely to find.   I hadn't considered doing something like that before.  Good to have options in the bag.  Thanks for sharing.   

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

That is a pretty good deal as far as getting from San Diego to San Pedro.  A heck of a lot better than any private car service you are likely to find.   I hadn't considered doing something like that before.  Good to have options in the bag.  Thanks for sharing.   

Execucar this coming Saturday AM from LAX Marriott to San Pedro @ $65. No fuss- No muss. And no need to refill the gas tank of a rental car.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Execucar this coming Saturday AM from LAX Marriott to San Pedro @ $65. No fuss- No muss. And no need to refill the gas tank of a rental car.

OK, good for you.  Of course LAX is about 20 miles from San Pedro while San Diego is about 120 miles.      

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ldubs said:

OK, good for you.  Of course LAX is about 20 miles from San Pedro while San Diego is about 120 miles.      

OP said San Fernando Valley, which is a lot closer to the L.A. port than San Diego.

Add the 20+/- extra miles to my original LAX post and Execucar would be about $100. Still better than the hassle of a rental and filling that gas tank- just to save a few bucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

OP said San Fernando Valley, which is a lot closer to the L.A. port than San Diego.

Add the 20+/- extra miles to my original LAX post and Execucar would be about $100. Still better than the hassle of a rental and filling that gas tank- just to save a few bucks.

OK, then you really should have responded to the OP instead of me because I was talking about San Diego in response to another poster's comment.   

I am beginning to think that you don't like pumping gas.  😀

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

OK, then you really should have responded to the OP instead of me because I was talking about San Diego in response to another poster's comment.   

I am beginning to think that you don't like pumping gas.  😀

Yes- I should have but I was multi-tasking (typing on my iPhone while pumping gas ️)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1