Internet for work on the Getaway

NDAdancerMom

Hi all!  We will be on the Getaway in a few weeks in the Western Carribean and, unfortunately, I will need to do some work.  I need to be able to access websites, download documents (small word/excel/powerpoint docs) and then upload them.  Also check email remotely.  I will use my personal laptop and purchase an unlimited wifi plan.  Do I need the premium one that allows streaming or the other unlimited one?  Any suggestions on times of day/other tips to make this as easy as possible?  Txs in advance!  

I have no experience with the premium package, but I can tell you the standard one is pretty slow.  If your documents are small you should be able to upload/download them eventually, but if something is graphics heavy it may time out on you.  How time sensitive is the work and do you have an international data plan?  The worst case scenario is you download in port, do the work offline, and then upload at the next port stop rather than deal with ship wifi.  

4 minutes ago, NDAdancerMom said:

Hi all!  We will be on the Getaway in a few weeks in the Western Carribean and, unfortunately, I will need to do some work.  I need to be able to access websites, download documents (small word/excel/powerpoint docs) and then upload them.  Also check email remotely.  I will use my personal laptop and purchase an unlimited wifi plan.  Do I need the premium one that allows streaming or the other unlimited one?  Any suggestions on times of day/other tips to make this as easy as possible?  Txs in advance!  

Never easy and as bird says sea days are the worst. My husband always needs to work and has trouble just sending an email sometimes. It is always spotty. 

1 minute ago, Smong said:

Never easy and as bird says sea days are the worst. My husband always needs to work and has trouble just sending an email sometimes. It is always spotty. 

Thanks Smong...  I was hoping if you got the premium that you might have better luck.  I wonder if the one that offers streaming is better?  I can dowload items, and then work offline if needed....   I am going to do a travelpass on my phone as a backup.  That would stink as I feel like I double paid.  

14 hours ago, NDAdancerMom said:

Thanks Smong...  I was hoping if you got the premium that you might have better luck.  I wonder if the one that offers streaming is better?  I can dowload items, and then work offline if needed....   I am going to do a travelpass on my phone as a backup.  That would stink as I feel like I double paid.  

It will be fine. I was able to work on our 9 day Baltic cruise this past October including using Webex for meetings (I also streamed a Seahawks game). 

2 hours ago, fastpitchdad said:

It will be fine. I was able to work on our 9 day Baltic cruise this past October including using Webex for meetings (I also streamed a Seahawks game). 

Thanks FastPitchDad!  I am keeping my fingers crossed!  👍

19 hours ago, NDAdancerMom said:

Depending on your cell provider, most do not charge you the day pass rate until you actually use data/voice from the foreign country.  I know my provider does it that way.  We went to three different countries and never used the wifi/cell in any of them, so there was no charge for day passes on our bill the next month.  However, if you use it even for just a minute, they charge you the full day.  So, you may want to read the T's & C's on your provider's website.  Also, make sure to keep your devices in Airplane Mode to make sure they do not pick up a stray signal and download an email on you.