When is an upgrade not an upgrade?

sylvabell

Got an email advising we have been upgraded from our specially chosen towards-the-rear-of-the-ship cabin to a mid-ship cabin (balcony cabin on the Caribbean Princess).  Only problem is, the new cabin is probably the closest you can get to the panoramic lift foyer.  I don’t think this is an upgrade because we are now in a high traffic area and will have extra noise as people chat while they are waiting for the lift.

Interested in people's thoughts on whether noise will be an issue.

Thanks.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sylvabell said:

Got an email advising we have been upgraded from our specially chosen towards-the-rear-of-the-ship cabin to a mid-ship cabin (balcony cabin on the Caribbean Princess).  Only problem is, the new cabin is probably the closest you can get to the panoramic lift foyer.  I don’t think this is an upgrade because we are now in a high traffic area and will have extra noise as people chat while they are waiting for the lift.

Thanks.

Like you we always book aft cabins as we prefer to be there but Princess considers mid ship cabins better and they are slightly more expensive, and would be considered an upgrade. That is why we always note our booking as "no upgrade".

Like the post above has suggested, I would call Princess and see what they can do.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sylvabell said:

Thanks.

I've actually had several cabins close by to an elevator bank and in all honesty I've never had a problem never really heard any form of noise from those areas. Like others have mentioned if it bothers you definitely called Princess and tell him about your unsatisfaction with the cabin move. Also word of advice as I do it all the time when I book a cruise I always have my travel agent UNcheck the box where it says for cabin upgrades because like you, I like to hand-select my cabins on the deck and location. My thoughts with Princess moving you there upgrades are not usually considered an upgrade to you. Because everyone's idea of what a good location is may not be the next guy's idea of a good location.

• Like 1

Call ASAP! last time I booked Caribe deck Crown near elevator i told them no upgrades! They upgraded me, called right away got my cabin back! Most times for their convience not yours! Jeter02 is correct most times not an upgrade you want! Good luck! Should have said always book near an Elevator never an issue!

Edited by Reader0108598

An upgrade is where you book a cabin of a particular grade and then the cruise line allocates you a cabin of a higher grade.  It may be that the cabin the cruise line has allocated you is everything you dislike and completely in a location you would have never booked because they do not necessarily move you to a better cabin, just one which has a higher grade, hence the term upgrade. Unfortunately you are accurately describing an upgrade but you can take restorative action.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Lesson learned - Mark your booking "no upgrade." It will make your life easier.

Not always I have been on 30 cruises ,I know to mark no upgrade they still did it! I did get my cabin back! Pay attention to emails and watch your booking!

Edited by Reader0108598