Alaska Lodges

ShorethingBob

Quick Question.  I am in the early planning stages for 2021.  If you have stayed in the Denali and McKinley Lodges I am looking for your input.  I am trying to decide between the tour that stays 2 nights at Denali vs the one that does one at Denali and one at McKinley.  This will be our first trip to Alaska so I need all the help I can get. 

Absolutely two nights in Denali.  McKinley Princess is in the middle of nowhere, 100 miles from the entrance to Denali NP.

With one night in Denali your only option is probably the very short Natural History Tour.  You do NOT want that unless you want only history and culture, not scenery and wildlife.  Best is to cancel the included tour and just book your own transit shuttle bus to Eielson.  It goes further than even the Tundra Wilderness Tour (which goes almost 3 times further than the Natural History Tour), is WAY less expensive, gives you a chance to see the excellent Eielson Visitor Center, interact with park rangers, maybe take a ranger-led stroll etc.  None of that is possible on the tours. (actually best is to plan your own land tour, but that is a topic for a different discussion).  There is a free lodge shuttle from the Princess lodge to the Denali Bus Depot where the transit shuttle bus departs from.  Book a departure no earlier than 8am to give you time to get there.

Edited by frugaltravel
  • Like 2

We did 2 nights at Denali and one at McKinley. At McKinley we went on a memorable river trip and saw all three of the big mountains sparkling close to sunset. At Denali we did as Frugal Travel suggests and had a glorious day. We went on one of the earliest shuttles and had tickets for an early bus. 

I have an add on question I have been meaning to ask...do the lodges have a gym? I didn't see one listed on the site but thought I would ask just in case.  DH uses one of the big balance balls to help stretch his back and besides the hiking trails we may like to get in a little gym time. 

We have stayed at both lodges and both were excellent. We only stayed one night at Denali and would have preferred longer, however we still had time to do the longer Tundra Wilderness Tour from Denali. I think McKinley for us was more a rest stop. Personally I'd take the longer Denali option.

Definitely two nights in Denali.  If I could do it again the day we arrived I would take the free shuttle to the visitor center.  Next day take the tundra wilderness tour.  Next day you leave.  

Edited by dickinson

6 hours ago, cruzrbachoua said:

I have an add on question I have been meaning to ask...do the lodges have a gym? I didn't see one listed on the site but thought I would ask just in case.  DH uses one of the big balance balls to help stretch his back and besides the hiking trails we may like to get in a little gym time. 

They haven't had a gym the two times we've been there but I just checked to see if one had been added in the past year.  It has not.  I wonder if they just think that everyone is so busy on tours that they don't need to allocate space and resources to that?  In any event if you're wondering about other amenities or facilities at the lodges, this link may be helpful to you https://www.princesslodges.com/princess-alaska-lodges/

Absolutely go for more time in Denali; McKinley is a nice lodge, but with quite limited dining and activity choices by comparison with Denali.

Also please consider a cruise-tour that includes a visit to the Kenai Lodge (a wonderful location with roomy individual cabins and spectacular rafting nearby on the amazingly colorful Kenai River).

27 minutes ago, ShorethingBob said:

Thanks Everyone.  Cruise Tour CB3 it is!!!!

The Cruise Tours with Princess are all customizable.   If you want to add another day in Denali, or add a stop in McKinley or Kenai it is easily done.  The McKinley Lodge offers you a list to Talkeetna (fun little town) and the best place to take a flight up to the mountain.  If it is in your budget, K2's Summit Tour with the Glacier landing is worth it.

We flew into Anchorage a couple of days early and took a day trip on the Alaskan Railroad to Seward on our own.  If you have a military connection the Seward Military Resort can get you a good deal on tours.

Our "Princess" tour used a bus from Anchorage to get to each stop going north and then we took the Princess chartered train from Denali all the way to the ship at Whittier.

I recommend 2 nights at Denali.  My parents did the tour with stops at both McKinley and Denali.  They said they spent so much time on the bus.  When you spend 2 nights at Denali, there is time to explore the resort and spend some extra time in the park.  We took the shuttle back to the visitor center and walked around the area.

On 12/18/2019 at 9:52 AM, ivycruise said:

Ok my search function is working again so appears many answers to my question above. Seems as if the 9 hour tundra wilderness tour is the preference over the 6 hour one.

I think we are doing the Tundra also!!  2021 Sure is a long way off!!!

We are doing a NB cruise then 2 nights at the Denali Lodge and 1 at McKinley Lodge and 1 in Anchorage, I believe the tour code is EA4. Upgrading to the longer tour in Denali. Using McKinley to rest and hopefully get good views of the mountain.