food questions

LHT28

I am glad to know it was fennel which sounds better with salmon.  I did not try choucroute with fish the time I had the chance since there were good sausages.  The meatloaf did not inspire eating in a Crystal MDR.  I hope your report will indicate some better dishes.  Even the O MDRs have some hits and some misses.

12 minutes ago, Dhsamso said:

I am glad to know it was fennel which sounds better with salmon.  I did not try choucroute with fish the time I had the chance since there were good sausages.  The meatloaf did not inspire eating in a Crystal MDR.  I hope your report will indicate some better dishes.  Even the O MDRs have some hits and some misses.

I think O has more options

not sure now that they are pushing the plant based stuff  but in April  they still had some  decent things on the menus

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

not sure now that they are pushing the plant based stuff 

Aren't most additions to a meat main dish "plant based stuff"? Sounds like you chose something not knowing what it tasted like and you didn't like it. Is that really a big deal? Especially on a cruise ship where you can simply ask for something else. I've probably been eating fennel for around 15 years. Perhaps it's 'wild and crazy' to some. I'd rather have it than mashed potatoes 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, clo said:

I've probably been eating fennel for around 15 years. Perhaps it's 'wild and crazy' to some. I'd rather have it than mashed potatoes 🙂

I never had pickled fennel before

I do not usually cook it that way

YMMV

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I never had pickled fennel before

I do not usually cook it that way

YMMV

This isn't a process upon which I'm educated but I'm not aware that the food is cooked ahead of time. Rather it's raw food that's 'processed.' How do you fix it?

On 12/15/2019 at 4:41 PM, LHT28 said:

Ok  we are not foodies  but wonder if this is normal or maybe something upscale places do?

I had salmon filet (like on O on the always available)  but it came with sauerkraut  on top ..never had seen this done before with salmon

second question

does anyone know or remember if O serves meatloaf on their menu?

We were trying to remember if we had seen it before on O or not we are getting old & forgetful 😉 

TIA

I've never had the salmon/sauerkraut dish, but I seem to remember reading on these boards some years ago - eight or ten - that Frank Del Rio had a family recipe for meatloaf served on-board.  This was when O had only the first three ships.

Anyone else remember reading about this?  Or is my old brain trying to interject something here?

Donna

2 minutes ago, GeorgesGal said:

I've never had the salmon/sauerkraut dish, but I seem to remember reading on these boards some years ago - eight or ten - that Frank Del Rio had a family recipe for meatloaf served on-board.  This was when O had only the first three ships.

Anyone else remember reading about this?  Or is my old brain trying to interject something here?

Donna

Donna

I am thinking that is when we saw it on the menu...   way back when

I love fennel. My dear bride fixes it when she prepares one of my favorite dishes, roasted root vegetables. It has roasted parsnips, turnips, carrots, golden beets, garlic, and?? Fennel! Rosemary and other assorted herbs along with honey are roasted therein. Wonderful tasting dish and very colorful on the table.

2 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I love fennel. My dear bride fixes it when she prepares one of my favorite dishes, roasted root vegetables. It has roasted parsnips, turnips, carrots, golden beets, garlic, and?? Fennel! Rosemary and other assorted herbs along with honey are roasted therein. Wonderful tasting dish and very colorful on the table.

That makes my mouth water! I have a Batali salad recipe with fennel, pomegranate, blood oranges and pecorino. A wonderful winter time dish. We have almost five days in Buenos Aires so maybe I can find some to fix in our airbnb.

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Sounds wonderful!  Need the recipe to prepare for Christmas dinner for the family!

• Like 1