food questions

LHT28

7 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Some of the cruises do look like Old Folks home 😀

Lynn, at first glance it looked like can peas and carrots!!  Trulyblonde said it right! Old folks home😞 I am surprised Because Waterside with all the pictures from Roy who did a cruise recently on her had great pics .!

Denise😊

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

Chefs hate to do that......(.Source  Anthony Bourdain)  For a good read and enlightenment have a read of "Kitchen Confidental"  very informative......never order well done or fish on Monday...........................Merry Christmas to all

One of my fave food books. And clearly it wasn't sauerkraut. And the addition to the fennel sounds great to me.

39 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

OMG  I just write can peas and carrots!

😱

Denise😊

At least on O I've found their peas and carrots to be cooked correctly - al dente - and I really don't like overcooked (any) food.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Lyn - will you write a comparison of your impressions of the two lines?

It would be good reading.

probably

When we get home  & get back to normal

DH  has several pages of notes  ..maybe he should write a review LOL

• Haha 1

I love meatloaf ... a great comfort food.  I've never seen it on board O but that wouldn't stop me from ordering it!

Not sure about sauerkraut with salmon, however ... Then again, I'm not a big fish eater although I DO love charcroute ...  Just not at the same time, I guess.

Mura

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

probably

When we get home  & get back to normal

DH  has several pages of notes  ..maybe he should write a review LOL

I hope you will do it - a collaborative effort with Mike 😊

Looking forward to it (no pressure 😀)

• Haha 1

Asked our friends that have been on over 20 Crystal cruises about the Salmon dish, and she said it was a pickled fennel when they had it.  I think the flavor is subject to individual tastebuds.   I looked up recipes, and I guess it’s a thing?    {shudder}.   

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cruseforme said:

Asked our friends that have been on over 20 Crystal cruises about the Salmon dish, and she said it was a pickled fennel when they had it.  I think the flavor is subject to individual tastebuds.   I looked up recipes, and I guess it’s a thing?    {shudder}.   

I also looked up recipes and there are quite a few. I did not see the pickled fennel one, but other recipes sounded rather good. I also enjoy meatloaf and I use my Grandmother's famous recipe with scalloped potatoes on the side.

3 hours ago, Cruseforme said:

Thanks

That must have been it 

I do not think it said it was pickled  but  I will be more careful when ordering  things  the rest of the week

10 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I do not think it said it was pickled  but  I will be more careful when ordering  things  the rest of the week

One of my pet peeves in any restaurant, on the ship or on land, when food item descriptions are not complete and one is surprised with the final product.

For example, I dislike tomatoes in any shape or form and sometimes they sneak into the dish without being mentioned in the description of the dish.Maybe because most people consider them harmless but I consider them as the enemy 😀

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

One of my pet peeves in any restaurant, on the ship or on land, when food item descriptions are not complete and one is surprised with the final product.

For example, I dislike tomatoes in any shape or form and sometimes they sneak into the dish without being mentioned in the description of the dish.Maybe because most people consider them harmless but I consider them as the enemy 😀

LOL

Last night at Prego  I had to ask about the veal parmigiana   & to leave off the  tomato sauce ...minimal sauce on the pasta

DH  had pasta dish with butter  on it so I just traded 😉

4 hours ago, Cruseforme said:

I'd say even a splash of vinegar might qualify as "pickled. "

40 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

I think if a menu says "pickled fennel" as it appeared this one did, then if you think you might have an issue either ask for more info or have it on the side. I'm a recipe follower and cook a lot so reading a description usually gives me enough info.

7 minutes ago, clo said:

I think if a menu says "pickled fennel" as it appeared this one did, then if you think you might have an issue either ask for more info or have it on the side. I'm a recipe follower and cook a lot so reading a description usually gives me enough info.

That's a given.

However, it sounds like Lyn's menu did not say anything about "pickled fennel" or else she would not have though it was sauerkraut - it sounded to me like it came as a surprise.

At least that was my understanding of Lyn's original post about this issue.

Edited by Paulchili

4 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

That's a given.

However, it sounds like Lyn's menu did not say anything about "pickled fennel" or else she would not have though it was sauerkraut - it sounded to me like it came as a surprise.

Actually here's what she wrote:

"dish was Canadian grilled Salmon filet  with fennel & fingerling potatoes

I suspect the  vinegar tasting  stuff was the fennel but someone who also had it said it was sauerkraut."

4 minutes ago, clo said:

Actually here's what she wrote:

"dish was Canadian grilled Salmon filet  with fennel & fingerling potatoes

I suspect the  vinegar tasting  stuff was the fennel but someone who also had it said it was sauerkraut."

You are correct - I forgot that one 🙂 - my bad.

I was remembering her original post:

"Ok  we are not foodies  but wonder if this is normal or maybe something upscale places do?

I had salmon filet (like on O on the always available)  but it came with sauerkraut  on top ..never had seen this done before with salmon"

59 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

You are correct - I forgot that one 🙂 - my bad.

I was remembering her original post:

"Ok  we are not foodies  but wonder if this is normal or maybe something upscale places do?

I had salmon filet (like on O on the always available)  but it came with sauerkraut  on top ..never had seen this done before with salmon"

It likely stuck in my mind cause I really like fennel, cooked and raw 🙂

46 minutes ago, Mura said:

When I was visiting at home and brought home some fennel to cook I had to prevent my mother from looking in the refrigerator, because said fennel would be bound to disappear if she saw it ...

LOL. I did a quick google "salmon fennel" and there were more hits than my fingers cared to scroll 🙂

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

That's a given.

right

Whet I get home  I remember some other cruisers posted menus  so will have a look & see if they had that dish on any of those menus

It was not the same the week before when I had the same salmon entree