food questions

LHT28

Ok  we are not foodies  but wonder if this is normal or maybe something upscale places do?

I had salmon filet (like on O on the always available)  but it came with sauerkraut  on top ..never had seen this done before with salmon

second question

does anyone know or remember if O serves meatloaf on their menu?

We were trying to remember if we had seen it before on O or not we are getting old & forgetful 😉 

TIA

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Ok  we are not foodies  but wonder if this is normal or maybe something upscale places do?

I had salmon filet (like on O on the always available)  but it came with sauerkraut  on top ..never had seen this done before with salmon

second question

We were trying to remember if we had seen it before on O or not we are getting old & forgetful 😉 

TIA

Neither of us particularly cares for 'cooked' salmon so I'll leave that for others. I'd ask for it to be left off.

I was about to say we haven't seen meatloaf but have to confess that we haven't eaten in the GDR. But don't remember it in Terrace Cafe'.

We saw the salmon with sauerkraut in Germany many times while we were there, but haven’t seen it on a cruise., and have never seen it served in the US.    I don’t eat salmon however, so don’t pay attn to it as much as other things on menus. As far as the meatloaf, last Christmas I believe the Riviera had it at Terrace over on the side where the potatoes and stuff is, but don’t remember it in any other venues.    Keep in mind that was before the “new” menues.  

Edited by Cruseforme

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

second question

TIA

It's called Choucroute and it's not just done with salmon as the fish.

And I've seen meatloaf once in awhile.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

second question

TIA

never on O..... however any dish is subject to the chefs interpretation  unless your having classic dishes anything is fair game,

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

It's called Choucroute and it's not just done with salmon as the fish.

I don't pretend to be an expert, but the choucroute I've seen is made with heavy salted meats...mostly pork including ribs, sausage, ham, etc. I'm having  a hard time wrapping my head around what choucroute made with salmon or any other fish might taste like.

Here's a Jacques Pepin choucroute recipe from a number of years ago, and it has what I would consider traditional ingredients. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/choucroute-garnie

Edited by njhorseman

50 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

well I have had sauerkraut with German dishes but never with  a nice piece of salmon

37 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

I don't pretend to be an expert, but the choucroute I've seen is made with heavy salted meats...mostly pork including ribs, sausage, ham, etc. I'm having  a hard time wrapping my head around what choucroute made with salmon or any other fish might taste like.

Here's a Jacques Pepin choucroute recipe from a number of years ago, and it has what I would consider traditional ingredients. https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/choucroute-garnie

Agree with both above posts.

German/Eastern European dishes serve sauerkraut with pork, sausages or duck IME - never saw it with salmon (and wouldn’t want it either)

• Like 1

Are you sure it was sauerkraut?    Could it have been a sea grass or sea weed?   It can look like cabbage...     Just asking

These are getting  uses with fish to compliment  its oceanic origin......    Goes along with why many "brine"  poultry and fish.     Japanese influence and French novel    Sea weeds  ( lots of different textures are out there)are getting popular as a healthy vegetable / and garnish  with the gard..

• Like 1

I'll add in to "I never saw sauerkraut on salmon"!  Anywhere ... sure, charcroute and etc. dishes, it's not at all unusual.  I even like it. There.

As to meatloaf on O ... I don't remember ever seeing that ... but that could be because I didn't order it on O.  I make it frequently at home ... but it's not a dish I would normally order on board a cruise ship.

M

11 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Are you sure it was sauerkraut?    Could it have been a sea grass or sea weed?   It can look like cabbage...     Just asking

These are getting  uses with fish to compliment  its oceanic origin......    Goes along with why many "brine"  poultry and fish.     Japanese influence and French novel    Sea weeds  ( lots of different textures are out there)are getting popular as a healthy vegetable / and garnish  with the gard..

I seem to remember from the food board I'm on that the things you mention, are in fact, being used. I wonder what menu said.

14 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Agree with both above posts.

German/Eastern European dishes serve sauerkraut with pork, sausages or duck IME - never saw it with salmon (and wouldn’t want it either)

Well I thought maybe it was something special you got on Luxury lines 😉

I immediately took it off the salmon but some of the taste lingered

Last night was meatloaf 😮

Anyway DH ordered it  & said it was very good 

Who would have thought  of serving  meatloaf on a luxury line ...NOT ME !!!

LOL

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Well I thought maybe it was something special you got on Luxury lines 😉

I immediately took it off the salmon but some of the taste lingered

Last night was meatloaf 😮

Anyway DH ordered it  & said it was very good 

Who would have thought  of serving  meatloaf on a luxury line ...NOT ME !!!

LOL

Crystal?  Can’t say we saw either when we were on them late summer, but which venue?   

Is the chef Alsatian?  Once in Paris, we went to an Alsatian restaurant the specialized in choucroute.  You could get any type of meat or sausage or seafood or fish with an enormous pile of very good choucroute so maybe some people do like it with fish or shellfish too.  DH would be happy to see Meatloaf or Liver and onions on a menu at sea for a change of pace even though I see those items as diner food.  Tell us what else they offer if it is something different.

37 minutes ago, Dhsamso said:

Is the chef Alsatian?  Once in Paris, we went to an Alsatian restaurant the specialized in choucroute.  You could get any type of meat or sausage or seafood or fish with an enormous pile of very good choucroute so maybe some people do like it with fish or shellfish too.  DH would be happy to see Meatloaf or Liver and onions on a menu at sea for a change of pace even though I see those items as diner food.  Tell us what else they offer if it is something different.

just spent a week in Alsace/Colmar/ Kaiserberg and hit ALL the cutting edge gourmand places and  bistros.. (as my cholesterol count could verify.).  NO  fish of any sort with Kraut..   Even at Le Alcheme....the cutting edge in Kaiserberg... (Jerome Jagel) they did not .    

21 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I have no idea of the answer to your question but I am curious how the dish was described on the menu, and what kind of restaurant you were dining at?  (For example, if it was an Asian-fusion restaurant I could envision some type of a slaw on top of your salmon, but not sauerkraut!)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have no idea of the answer to your question but I am curious how the dish was described on the menu, and what kind of restaurant you were dining at?  (For example, if it was an Asian-fusion restaurant I could envision some type of a slaw on top of your salmon, but not sauerkraut!)

it was in the main dining room on Crystal

dish was Canadian grilled Salmon filet  with fennel & fingerling potatoes

I suspect the  vinegar tasting  stuff was the fennel but someone who also had it said it was sauerkraut

it would have been fine on the plate  & not on top of the salmon

They seem to like sauces & gravies over everything

I have to remember to ask to have things left off or on the side

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Waterside  for dinner

Hmmm, classic side of menu?   I am sure it was there when we were on Symphony in early fall, but hmmmmmmm, I agree, not something I would have guessed on the menu.   And yes I agree from another post...Crystal’s CC board can be brutal.   DH posted on there a couple of times and decided it would be better to just lurk!!!   

Edited by Cruseforme

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

it was in the main dining room on Crystal

dish was Canadian grilled Salmon filet  with fennel & fingerling potatoes

I suspect the  vinegar tasting  stuff was the fennel but someone who also had it said it was sauerkraut

it would have been fine on the plate  & not on top of the salmon

They seem to like sauces & gravies over everything

I have to remember to ask to have things left off or on the side

Chefs hate to do that......(.Source  Anthony Bourdain)  For a good read and enlightenment have a read of "Kitchen Confidental"  very informative......never order well done or fish on Monday...........................Merry Christmas to all