Boston Departure 10/18/20

Beth and Bailey

We booked for October 2020 and plan to fly in a few days prior to the cruise.  I've never been so just looking at Airbnb's..... they give many neighborhoods to choose from.   Should we attempt to stay closer to the cruise port?  Any suggestions so we can make the most of our stay before sailing?  Of course I'm all about the food (live in small town in Kentucky).....but DH is about the history.

Thanks

Totally agree about booking something refundable NOW. 

Look at Comfort Inn (Morrissey Blvd), Ramada Boston, and Best Western Adams for budget hotels with airport, Cruiseport, and Subway shuttles.  Prices are very expensive that weekend for an in town hotel.  

If you must go the Airbnb route, run the location address by this forum to be sure it is appropriate.  For example the Best Western Plus Boston is in what is described as a “terrible” neighborhood even though the hotel is described as “nice”.

26 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Wow....... thanks so much for the info.  I just booked the Ramada on Morrissey for $149 per night.  Yahoo!!!

Call them to find out if their shuttle will take you to the subway.  You will probably have to Uber to the Cruiseport which is about 5 miles away.

There’s not much around there, but I thought it was a comfortable area when I went to Boston Bowl.

8 minutes ago, Beth and Bailey said:

Thanks..... Well I grabbed this as I feared I needed something with the weekend being Charles something.   Is there an area that is better for us?  I have no clue.  So if some suggestions could be made, I can check them out.    Much appreciate.

What is your max budget per night? 2 nights?  2 people?  Bed size requirements?  What are your sightseeing plans in Boston?

Boston hotels are very expensive.  The Head of the Charles Regatta brings a ton of folks to the area and centrally located hotels reflect that in their prices.

I would love to stay around $150 give or take per night.  But understand the nicer areas might be more so if push came to shove, $200.  Do  you think it would be better to stay post cruise?  We can certainly do that instead of pre.  Just two of us, adults.  I do plan to take the hop on hop off bus.  I really don't know what other plans to have at the moment.  Would of course love good food (small town in Kentucky, Dennys is a highlight.  hahaha)..... Bed.... prefer a king.   Also we'd stay 4 nights I think...

Edited by Beth and Bailey

At almost any time of year $150-200 is an unrealistic amount for a centrally located hotel.  Sun-Thurs nights are actually worse because of the business travelers.  October is high season in Boston because of the college activities and the leaf peeping.

17 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

But understand the nicer areas might be more so if push came to shove, $200.

In October even mid range hotels in the central core of the city are going to be in the mid $300s-400s. During Head of the Charles it can exceed even that. This would be a great opportunity if you had any credit card or hotel points to use them to stay in a centrally located hotel for a reduced rate or even free.

It won't really make a huge difference if you stay post or pre cruise unless one of those stays is during the 17th/18th weekend. 

17 hours ago, Beth and Bailey said:

I do plan to take the hop on hop off bus.

Boston is much more of a walking city-- the city's often narrow streets don't lend themselves well to touring in a bus. I highly recommend walking the Freedom Trail-- its much better than the trolley tours they offer. 

So you don't think the days will matter? Whether we stay pre or post, it will still be a busy busy time?   We planned on staying for 4 nights ... so doesn't matter to us before or after.  Well with the good deal we got on the hotel, I don't mind grabbing a lyft into the city and spending the day walking and sightseeing.  You don't think taking one day for the  hop on/hop off it worth it?  We are in our late 60's and although in good shape, a day of being out...come the evening, a dinner and vegging to the TV will be perfect.

In October I don’t think the days will matter.

A 7 day public transit pass is only $22.50, which is less than $6/day to have access to all the buses and subway.  Lyft or hotel shuttle to the Red Line into downtown Boston would be doable.  Traffic between your hotel and downtown Boston can be really awful.

We used Hotwire to book the end of Oct. 2019 . We stayed at the Yotel . The room was very small but extremely functional . Every inch of space was efficiently used . Very clean and staff was pleasant and helpful . Cost was @ $ 225 for a Thursday night stay . It;s a Seaport location .

2 hours ago, delaware32 said:

We used Hotwire to book the end of Oct. 2019 . We stayed at the Yotel . The room was very small but extremely functional . Every inch of space was efficiently used . Very clean and staff was pleasant and helpful . Cost was @ $ 225 for a Thursday night stay . It;s a Seaport location .

This is a really good point. ANY 3* and up hotel in the Seaport District on Hotwire would be acceptable.  Unlike most of downtown Boston this area has been developed in the last 20 years, mostly new builds but one or two nicely refurbished older properties.  The accessible Silver Line World Trade or Courthouse stations are within walking distance of these hotels, and some folks have even reported walking to Black Falcon Terminal.  There is now a nice pool of restaurants to choose from and the area is very safe.  It’s a quick Silver Line Ride to South Station to connect via free transfer to the Red Line subway to get to the downtown and other tourist destinations.

Some gratuitous comments about Uber/Lyft from Logan Airport.  Coming from Logan Airport, the Silver Line stops on the arrivals level of all terminals and is actually FREE coming from the airport.  If you go beyond the Seaport stations to South Station you have a free transfer to the Red Line or the option to get a taxi or Uber/Lyft to a downtown hotel for a more economical price.  Recently they moved the Uber/Lyft drop off and pickup area into the Central Parking garage at Logan Airport.  I honestly don’t know exactly how this is working out (perhaps someone can comment), but I do know that it can be a serious hike from the terminals to get to Central Parking.  IMO it makes sense right at the terminal to get on the Silver Line to South Station  (or even just as far as World Trade) to connect with Uber/Lyft and to minimize your luggage handling.   The Silver Line bus has one step (best to get on the rearmost door) and luggage racks.

We elected to take a cab this time from Logan . Found that the taxi price was within $1 of Uber . Keep in mind this was solely from the airport . When we stayed elsewhere in the Seaport we have used the free Silver line and it was fine . I guess it also depends on the number of bags and if it's easy for you to handle them .

8 hours ago, delaware32 said:

We elected to take a cab this time from Logan . Found that the taxi price was within $1 of Uber . Keep in mind this was solely from the airport . When we stayed elsewhere in the Seaport we have used the free Silver line and it was fine . I guess it also depends on the number of bags and if it's easy for you to handle them .

The game has changed at Logan Airport.  If you can’t manage your luggage, you will not be happy schlepping it from the luggage pickup area to the Uber/Lyft pickup area in Central Parking, so getting a cab or the Silver Line outside the luggage pickup area is a better choice.

if you take the Silver Line to World Trade, there is a cab stand on Silver Line Way at the Seaport hotel entrance.  If you take the SL to South Station, there is a cab pickup area right there on Atlantic Ave.

On 12/18/2019 at 2:02 PM, 138east said:

If you must go the Airbnb route, run the location address by this forum to be sure it is appropriate.  For example the Best Western Plus Boston is in what is described as a “terrible” neighborhood even though the hotel is described as “nice”.

ISO opinions for 0 Strong Place, Boston, 02114.

0 Strong Place is right off Cambridge St. at the beginning of Beacon Hill and a few blocks (may be uphill haven't walked this route in a while) from the Charles St/MGH T stop.  As long as the owner has registered their Airbnb with the city IMHO this would be a good place to stay and tour the city.

Location is just fine if on Strong Place in Beacon Hill.  Can’t comment on Airbnb.  Close to Red Line MGH Station.  Walkable to Boston Common and downtown.  Public transit from Logan and to the Cruiseport is a viable option with one easy transfer at South Station (free from airport)