Bar service at small pools whirlpool deck 5

jeter55

I echo Leesre's response.  And I add that if there is a special event, such as when we passed through the Panama Canal and everyone was out taking photos, the bar staff set up a special bar on this deck to serve bubbly and other adult beverages.

This deck was our favourite hangout during our recent cruise on the Ovation. Julia came around with cocktails here and there but twice we were “evacuated” before 6 pm for private events (one was a singles meet, not sure what the other one was).

The pool/whirlpool was one of the "secrets" on Seabourn,  There are lots of lounges in the shade and tables for requesting goodies from room service.  Bar libations are offered every 15 minutes or so. Cold soda, etc are also available.  The only drawback is that the sun chaises are very close to each other. That's the "worst"' of the aft pool.  In that case, bite the bullet.

I should add the biggest drawback for us at this location was the SMOKING!! The tables on the starboard side all have ashtrays and there was someone smoking there often. It just happened that the smoke was blowing away from us most of the time which mitigated the problem but it was still a bother.

This also brings me to the overall smoking policy on Seabourn ships which I had not given any thought to before this cruise. There are smoking allowed areas on pretty much every open deck!

31 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

This also brings me to the overall smoking policy on Seabourn ships which I had not given any thought to before this cruise. There are smoking allowed areas on pretty much every open deck!

I will have to disagree with this statement in bold. I was on Ovation. Smoking is only allowed on the forward, starboard side of  decks 5, 7, 9 on Odyssey class and 5, 7 and 10 on Ovation/Encore with cigar smoking only allowed on Deck 7. Though of course some try to do so on Deck 5...just let staff know.

Julie

4 hours ago, frantic36 said:

I will have to disagree with this statement in bold. I was on Ovation. Smoking is only allowed on the forward, starboard side of  decks 5, 7, 9 on Odyssey class and 5, 7 and 10 on Ovation/Encore with cigar smoking only allowed on Deck 7. Though of course some try to do so on Deck 5...just let staff know.

Julie

Hi Julie, smoking on deck 5 aft on Ovation was most definitely allowed, every table on the starboard side had an ashtray and many people used them. I generalized though by saying “pretty much every open deck” but that’s really what it felt like for me. For example, next to the Sky Bar, the aft section of deck 7 (outside the Seabourn Square), etc. It just seemed like there are many areas where smoking is allowed.

Claudia I am sorry you experienced so much smoking on the ship. 

I had a great cruise but it did feel different to most other cruises regarding passengers. Much more casual, though my husband and I dressed up because we like to. More Brits, Australians and Belgiums than North Americans which I thought unusual. I wonder why so many smokers onboard this time? I didn't go to Deck 5 but came across a reasonable sized group on Deck 10 near the sky bar. But I was just passing by.

I sorry about mix up re forward and aft, my husband the ex-yachtsman always teases me about how I get confused 🤭.

Julie

11 hours ago, claudiaYVR said:

Hi Julie, smoking on deck 5 aft on Ovation was most definitely allowed, every table on the starboard side had an ashtray and many people used them. I generalized though by saying “pretty much every open deck” but that’s really what it felt like for me. For example, next to the Sky Bar, the aft section of deck 7 (outside the Seabourn Square), etc. It just seemed like there are many areas where smoking is allowed.

Recently returned from my 1st Seabourn cruise.  I was shocked/surprised at the amount of smoking on board.  I will absolutely agree that it was "pretty much every open deck" and many, many smokers. Too many for us.  So many, that this might be a deal breaker to sail SB again, unless something changes.  My last cruise on Oceania ( on the 1200 pax ship),  I saw a total of 3 smokers.  Yup, 3.  There might have been more, but I didn't see or smell them.  On SB, every "smoking" table had smokers. 

12 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Julie, nothing to be sorry about! It was just surprising but it didn’t significantly impact our enjoyment of the cruise. We also had a large contingent of Aussies, Canadians and Brits on our cruise and it was delightful 🙂

I think I was also comparing the smoking situation to Crystal (we’ve sailed Crystal almost exclusively for the past four years) where smoking is more restricted. 

Happy cruising!

Frantic and Claudia - as we were all on the same Ovation cruise cruise I think it is interesting to note our perceptions of the passenger profile versus the reality. In fact while you both seems to think there were fewer than normal from the US there were in fact 171 on board. This was followed by 126 Brits, 85 Aussies, and 33 Canadians. Must admit I too was initially fooled as to the passenger profile as the first few days of the cruise most of those whom I met were Canadian. And as to why there seemed to be more smokers than normal that is hard to say. I know people often seem to think more European and Asian passengers might mean more smokers but in fact there were only 93 Europeans (led by 31 Germans and only 13 Belgians) and 12 from Asia. So who knows - maybe just a fluke of an excess of smokers.

1 hour ago, Chairsin said:

Frantic and Claudia - as we were all on the same Ovation cruise cruise I think it is interesting to note our perceptions of the passenger profile versus the reality. In fact while you both seems to think there were fewer than normal from the US there were in fact 171 on board. This was followed by 126 Brits, 85 Aussies, and 33 Canadians. Must admit I too was initially fooled as to the passenger profile as the first few days of the cruise most of those whom I met were Canadian. And as to why there seemed to be more smokers than normal that is hard to say. I know people often seem to think more European and Asian passengers might mean more smokers but in fact there were only 93 Europeans (led by 31 Germans and only 13 Belgians) and 12 from Asia. So who knows - maybe just a fluke of an excess of smokers.

Chairsin - Britain is still physically in Europe, in spite of recent political events!!  I agree, though, that our smoking habits may be a little different to our continental counterparts!

Gayleforce

So right you are. I should have stated “other Europeans.” 

I can’t honestly say I did not notice an increase in the percentage of smokers on that cruise.. Whereas on the Odyssey class ships in the past I would often seen seen 4-6 people smoking at the tables by the Sky Bar - on this, my first big ship cruise, I would often see 6-8. Given the increased number of passengers this seems fairly consistent. Where I have always been most impacted by smoking was in the early mooring when I do my laps (deck 9 Odyssey class/deck 10 Encore class). Seems there is always one guy sitting there chain smoking with an early morning cup of coffee. So for the few strides when I past by I accelerate my speed and hold my breath.  

We just got off Ovation after a month long cruise. I hate the smell of smoke. Smoking should be completely banned on all cruise ships. Having said that, we noticed very little smoking, and only in the aft deck area where it was specifically allowed. The smell was never a problem anywhere on the ship. We even spent a little time sitting on the aft deck without inconvenience. But there are many other places on the ship to sit where smoking is not allowed. I noticed no smoking in areas where it was not allowed. I would add we had a lot of non-USA passengers on the cruise, meaning that the chances of having passengers who smoke was very probably increased. LittleRedJohn