Norwegian app

kenlyn

Yes. I even just tried now for an upcoming cruise and was able to reserve seats.

There are some shows that are open seating and don’t accept online reservations. I think After Midnight wouldn’t let me book, but Choir of Men would.

1 hour ago, Podie said:

Two weeks ago on Joy I was surprised to discover that the "free app" cost $9.95 if you wanted to use it for booking shows or restaurants.

The 9.95 is only for the text / call capabilities....... doing normal ship things such as reservations, etc is part of the free part. 

Are you absolutely positive NCL is now charging 9.95 for booking shows or reservations??? 

1 hour ago, DomoYoshi said:

Yes. I even just tried now for an upcoming cruise and was able to reserve seats.

There are some shows that are open seating and don’t accept online reservations. I think After Midnight wouldn’t let me book, but Choir of Men would.

deleted by poster

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, esm54687 said:

The 9.95 is only for the text / call capabilities....... doing normal ship things such as reservations, etc is part of the free part. 

Are you absolutely positive NCL is now charging 9.95 for booking shows or reservations??? 

Two weeks ago on Joy I was surprised to discover that the "free app" cost $9.95 if you wanted to use it for booking shows or restaurants.

Because I didn't agree to the $9.95, I wasn't able to make reservations or use the messaging portion of it - which is free on every other cruiseline I've sailed on. All I could do was check the activity schedule and my account.

I can confirm that the app allowed me to make show reservations on board.  The one piece that I was only able to do at the box office was book the "Canvas by U" painting sessions.  I wish they'd get those on the app or touch screens some day!

On 12/28/2019 at 9:45 PM, kenlyn said:

Heading on the Escape next week and wondering if shows can be booked on app after boarding?  Trying to avoid the trot to the box office if not necessary.  Thanks!

We’ve got older I phone models -as we are older people.
Kids were home for Christmas and it wouldn’t work on our older phones.
In case anyone else has same situation.

I stand corrected, the newest "Cruise Norwegian" App is, still, mostly free to use including its ability to book dining and selected shows (not all ... like the ones in the smaller lounges, depending on the specific ship) with touch, point-n-click on the app's menu.  You CANNOT, however, use it to CALL at all, unless "agreeing" to pay the one-time $9.95 fee per device - once enabled, use it to DIAL or CALL the reservation or box office extension #'s as listed, or Guest Services, or the F&B Director, CD, CruiseNext team, or the General Manager, etc. (whether you've met them or not at the CC Meet & Greet/Mingle or not, or attended, etc.)  

In the past, going back 4 or 5 years - on the Breakaway (Escape's older big sister ship) - as best as I can recall, the "original" iConcierge App has the ability to call those extensions, even when you didn't activated and registered for the onboard calling & text messaging features as a paid, extra option  - the App, then, had the ability to make WiFi call, ship-to-shore or to mobile/landline numbers, for a nominal fee and per minutes rate ... I don't believe this is offered anymore with the new/current App.  

WiFi calling on the newer "Bliss" that're previously possible for Sprint customers (device in airplane mode, WiFi re-enabled & connected using the 250/free minutes) did NOT work last month while at sea.  It was blocked - that seemed consistent with what I found myself on the Gem 2 weeks ago on T-Mobile's WiFi calling ... Google Voice & Hangouts calling over WiFi blocked also.  Luckily, good old classic Skype continued to work just fine, as was "Ooma" App (VoIP calling for home use over HSI) and Talkatone, a different WiFi calling - these Apps' udp/tcp ports were not blocked or firewalled shut.  FB Messenger, WhatsApp and WeChat, apparently, all worked too (considered part of social media) 

Not going to pay a dime extra - IMHO, for us - to get that "premium" streaming, unlimited option - just to be unblocked for WiFi calling for a week, 5 days, 10 or 11 days, or 15+ days as the longer cruises tend to have more sea days with satellite being, sometimes, the only viable option.  We have more than enough workarounds to ignore & bypass NCL's scheme.  Less tech savvy cruisers unfamiliar with all these mumbo jumbo, are not going to appreciate it, for their (in)convenience.  

OK, let's hear the rumble and grumble.  

22 hours ago, Podie said:

Because I didn't agree to the $9.95, I wasn't able to make reservations or use the messaging portion of it - which is free on every other cruiseline I've sailed on. All I could do was check the activity schedule and my account.

Now you're combining features that I had itemized earlier.....

- You are able to make reservations etc for free.

- Make calls / message then it's 9.95

You're sailing on NCL so it's important not to compare services or fees to other cruise lines in a discussion...... unless you're willing to do a comparison on every item on every cruiseline it really is irrelevant to pick one thing 

Edited by esm54687