Passports required?

CruiseHappy1965

We sail in April on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Just noticed that my passport has expired. Question  I have is do I absolutley have to get a new passport before this cruise? I know if we were to miss the boat in a non US territory, there would be major issues, but does Carnival require a passport to board and cruise? Thanks everyone!

To answer your question...no, for your cruise, a passport is not required. We don't use passports and it's been easy going through customs. Yes, I know the complications of not having a passport if something were to happen in a foreign port.

It makes things easier. Coming home this month they did not even ask to see the passport, the face reconstruction brought my info up on the screen and I was on my way in 10 seconds. I don’t think that system pulls data from other sources. 

Also so checking in is faster. 

4 hours ago, CruiseHappy1965 said:

We sail in April on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. Just noticed that my passport has expired. Question  I have is do I absolutley have to get a new passport before this cruise? I know if we were to miss the boat in a non US territory, there would be major issues, but does Carnival require a passport to board and cruise? Thanks everyone!

Assuming you're going on a closed loop cruise, NO you do not need a passport.  Only BC and DL.

42 minutes ago, Cruise-Crazy said:

It makes things easier. Coming home this month they did not even ask to see the passport, the face reconstruction brought my info up on the screen and I was on my way in 10 seconds. I don’t think that system pulls data from other sources. 

Also so checking in is faster. 

Wrong.  We have used DL/BC in the past as well as passports on various cruises from quite a few ports.  Never was there a difference in processing between the 2.

I thought I recalled reading a month ago that they are planning on making changes to travel documentation requirements so that you will need a passport any time you're leaving the country, regardless of the mode of transportation. I also recall that this was supposed to take effect at some point in 2021...

I also cannot find that reference anywhere online to quote here, so for now, assume that everyone is correct, no passport required on closed loop cruises. If anyone else happens to find that reference I made, I'd love to see it, just so I know I'm not losing my mind!