Battery Pack

Seabiscuit66

Are there any restrictions on those Lithium Ion battery packs?  You know, the ones to charge your cell phone or laptop.  Before you judge, I know we should get away from those devices while on vacation.  Just don't want it confiscated and trashed on embarkation day. 

57 minutes ago, Seabiscuit66 said:

Before you judge, I know we should get away from those devices while on vacation.

It's your vacation, do it the way you want and don't worry about what others think.

We use our phones to communicate with one another, to have a camera handy, and to use the Hub app. My phone's battery doesn't hold a charge like it used to. We cruised earlier this month and there were times when I was out & about doing things, noticing it was getting pretty low. I found myself charging it in our cabin every chance I got, even if it was just for a little while. So I'm definitely going to bring one of our battery packs on our next one. We have one that's pretty small, so it won't be hard to carry.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Seabiscuit66 said:

Thanks.  I know you said you carry on, but was wondering what the security check-in thinks about them.  I guess I'm just too cautious and thinking about airlines that have had bad experience (i.e. fires in bags or in the cabin). 

I have never had anyone comment on them.

2 minutes ago, Seabiscuit66 said:

Thanks.  I know you said you carry on, but was wondering what the security check-in thinks about them.  I guess I'm just too cautious and thinking about airlines that have had bad experience (i.e. fires in bags or in the cabin). 

They don't care nor do they look for them.  I have one on me and an extra in my checked to run my USB fan for my stateroom.  

The ship will not be an issue unless they change their policy(always a possibility) BUT the airline can be. Last flight the person in front had 2 packs taken by security. They were told to check it or toss it. Fire risk for in flight. 

I know others that make it through but to be safe, I would not carry it on the flight. 

What airport was this that was confiscating power packs at security.  United asks that you take them on in carry on as if it does catch fire there is a better chance of it being put out faster as the flight attendant can take a fire Extinguisher to it. Security at the pier has never had a issue.  Only gadget I saw them looking for is that Samsung phone that was prone to catching fire

Edited by sergeant655

36 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

The ship will not be an issue unless they change their policy(always a possibility) BUT the airline can be. Last flight the person in front had 2 packs taken by security. They were told to check it or toss it. Fire risk for in flight. 

I know others that make it through but to be safe, I would not carry it on the flight. 

This is ridiculous because the FAA specifically says battery packs must be carried in the main cabin compartment and not placed in checked baggage. They are considered hazardous material and special considerations have to be made if the batteris are being carried in the cargo compartment. Those special considerations, including paperwork, are simply not going to be made for someone's external battery bank for their cell phone. This is why you have to declare any hazardous goods in your luggage when flying; they either make you take it out, or dispose of it.

Flight Attendants have fireproof bags in their storage compartments that are used in case of a fire with one of the battery packs. Having a fire in the luggage compartment of an aircraft is a lot scarier. I know more about aircraft than your typical traveler thanks to my job in the Air Force and I know all about the fire suppression systems in most commercial aircraft. They're usually not enough to put out a LiOn fire.

I'm calling BS on this one.

• Like 1

from the TSA Website, no problem with the ship's security

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less in a device

• Carry On Bags: Yes
  • Checked Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)

Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less may be carried in a device in either carry-on or checked bags. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.

Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours

• Carry On Bags: Yes (Special Instructions)
  • Checked Bags: No

Lithium batteries with more than 100 watt hours may be allowed in carry-on bags with airline approval, but are limited to two spare batteries per passenger. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries.

• Like 1