Choosing between Amsterdam or Zaandam NE/Canada

bickee

Hi! It's been ages since I've been on a cruise but my 10 year old son and I are looking at the summer ones out of Boston or Montreal and choosing between these two ships. I know HAL not usually "kid friendly" but he grew up in NYC, knows how to behave and doesn't need a lot of hoopla. Just wondering what might be a better ship for us! We are all about relaxation! 😉

My personal preference is the Amsterdam as I have sailed her more. But they are sister ships with the Amsterdam having slightly fewer passengers. It  has been reported on these boards that Hal is doing away with Club HAL the kids program. I haven't looked at the New England/Canada itineraries for next year but if they are different, I would choose which itinerary you like more. Either ship would be fine IMO.

They're both the same class ("R" class), so they're the same ship. The only difference I know is that Amsterdam has Lanai cabins and Zaandam doesn't. The lanai cabins are a retrofit. Some ocean-view cabins on promenade deck were given sliding doors to the deck. Not a private balcony, but direct access to outside on the promenade deck. This wasn't done on Zaandam.

IMO, any Canada cruise is a good cruise. Ship amenities should be the same, so focus on itinerary/schedule and price. Do a little research on the various ports (ask questions on the port of call boards) and see if there are places your son would particularly enjoy seeing. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

We did Canada/New England on the Zaandam this year.  I like the ship, especially the fact that they haven't screwed up the Crows Nest - yet - and it is the way they all used to be.  The entertainment wasn't the best, but that pretty much goes for all the HAL ships.

While the two ships are about the same size, I feel that the Amsterdam is slightly nicer and IMO has a great crew.  I think that since this ship does alot of world cruises, it is kept up better and has a more experienced crew, but that is just my opinion.