Genoa (8 hours) vs. Milan (3.5 hours)

BrooklynCruiser

Hi,

Our ship (MSC Fantasia) will be docking in Genoa in early April.  One option wold be to spend the day (approximately 8 hours) in Genoa.  Alternatively, we can travel to Milan, either by train or MSC's organized tour.  Given the distance, we would have 3.5-4 hours to explore Milan.  We haven't visited either city.  Any advice on whether to stay in Genoa or go to Milan?  Thanks!

I have visited Milan many times for business reasons and always found it to be a drab city with very little to excite (apart from a small town a few miles to the north east called Monza, that is deep in every motor racing fans soul!).  But I digress!  Milan Central is a business city and in my opinion the only place worth visiting on a day trip would be Duomo (Cathedral) and immediate area which is a shopping square around Duomo with some interesting architecture.

If the day before and after Genoa are long tiring days, then I would probably vote to stay in Genoa and try to visit some of the local towns/villages.

We have traveled, extensively, throughout Italy and Milan remains our least favorite major city.  Given a choice between Genoa and Milan we would stay in Genoa.   And given your situation where you would need to travel about 2 hours (each way) to get to Milan we think its a no brainer.  Stay in Genoa or perhaps go over to Portofino for a couple of hours and then spend your remaining time exploring Genoa.

Hank

We found we enjoyed Genoa a lot.  It was an interesting city to explore and easy to reach by subway from the port to the center.  Don’t miss trying The focaccia, unbelievable.  We too have visited Milan and we enjoyed the Duomo.  Lately,  we are trying to enjoy where we dock rather than spending hours getting somewhere.

We have had many holidays in Italy, fabulous country, wonderful people, and Milan is the only place we've been that we wouldn't return to. I agree wholeheartedly with VMax1700, drab city and the only part worth visiting is the square with the cathedral and the covered ( very expensive ) shopping arcade.

I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to visit Milan. 

• 2 weeks later...

We found Genoa a bit of a nothing place. WE went ashore did the HOHO bus and came back to the ship. If we were to go again we would catch the train to Milan, go and see the "last Supper" painting and then back on the train. This painting alone is worth the trip

Getting to Portofino on our own while docked in Genoa was pretty simple, and a great day out!  It was the easiest DIY day we had on West Med cruise.  Walk to Genova Piazza Principe station (~10 mins).  Train to Santa Margherita Ligure (~25 mins).  Bus 82 or ferry to Portofino (~15 mins).  Explore the town, walk up to Castello Brown (best views!), eat some lunch, tour the scuplture garden, take a lot of pics, and head back to the ship the same way.

Edited by twruger

Depending on your groups interests, you may want to visit the Sea Museum in Genoa - very close to the cruise terminal.  I went there last time with my parents and children and it covered the Columbus voyages of discovery and had a fantastic exhibit on the immigration of italians to America in the early 20th century.  In this you walked through from Genoa's old port, through a ship to see what the experience was like and then through to Ellis Island.  Really hands on.  We spend several hours but could have spent longer. 

https://www.galatamuseodelmare.it/