Ordering liquor for stateroom

KruisingKaren

Hi all.  I see that I can order a bottle of liquor to be delivered to my stateroom.  Am I allowed to mix a drink and take it out of the stateroom or does it have to be consumed in the room?  Also, do you know if they provide glasses with the bottle or do I need to use the stateroom tumbler?

I do this all the time. Bottles delivered to your room are for stateroom use only.

Ask your steward for special glasses, including wine glasses. He/she will replace them when they get dirty.

Here is a statement from the Know Before You Go booklet.

"In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added)."

However, I suppose no one would say anything if you made a cocktail in your room, and then walked out the door with it. But do you really want to walk around the ship carrying a cocktail?

One more thing, there are a limited selection of non-alcoholic mixers (tonic, ginger ale, etc.) in the fridge,  The charge for using them is the same as drinking one of Cokes. You can also bring as many non-alcoholic mixers as you want from home. You are not allowed to bring liqueurs or anything that has alcohol in them aboard (except for 1 bottle of wine per person). If you need a liqueur to make your favorite cocktail, I believe you can order that to your room as well - not sure about the selection, since I don't make cocktails that way.

Tom O. your answer is harsh.
You won’t shame me for getting a case of beer at every port in Alaska and carrying a beer around. I am well behaved and enjoying my cruise. Don’t harsh my trip.

I’ve also carried around my baileys and coffee in the morning, mimosa at brunch.... 🥂 

Edited by TheJurea
I don’t think they let you do that any more tho

14 minutes ago, TheJurea said:

You won’t shame me for getting a case of beer at every port in Alaska and carrying a beer around. I am well behaved and enjoying my cruise. Don’t harsh my trip.

I’ve also carried around my baileys and coffee in the morning, mimosa at brunch.... 🥂 

2 hours ago, Tom O. said:

Here is a statement from the Know Before You Go booklet.

"In-Room Dining offers reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be added)."

However, I suppose no one would say anything if you made a cocktail in your room, and then walked out the door with it. But do you really want to walk around the ship carrying a cocktail?

Many people carry drinks from cabin to bar or restaurant or from bar to bar or restaurant. No one will notice or say anything. People have also been known to take a drink from a bar back to their cabin.

I don't have a problem with people walking around with drinks, it is just something I wouldn't do. I especially understand people who have ordered drinks in a bar, and then carried them to their dining table. I just wouldn't want to take a drink from my cabin and wander around the ship.

And, in the description of each alcoholic item is this: "Delivered to your stateroom on embarkation day for in-stateroom consumption only."

We're going on a full ship charter for a Blues Cruise so this cruise will be really different.  We can wear shorts in the mdr, there is live blues music on all stages between 11:00 am to 2:00 am+ and the last day is pajama day so we don't need to worry about packing our clothes that evening.  Yes, I'll be carrying cocktails everywhere.  Can't wait!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheJurea said:

Huh??  How are you bringing your case of beer on?  You can’t bring beer on in any port or embarkation day.

Personally and yes, we have ordered a bottle for our room for guests and us.  We treat it as the same as the wine we bring on (without corkage).  It’s for in room consumption and that’s what we do with our guests.

When we are out in public places we order from the bar and in the MDR our wine package unless we scored a special bottle of wine or two in Europe (for which we have paid corkage) which we enjoy there.

Abusing privileges means they can be revoked.  A fact not a  condemnation.

I saw nothing wrong with Tom O’s post by the way.  Have your drinks in your cabin and on your balcony and enjoy and pay elsewhere.  Fair is fair.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, KruisingKaren said:

Hi all.  I see that I can order a bottle of liquor to be delivered to my stateroom.  Am I allowed to mix a drink and take it out of the stateroom or does it have to be consumed in the room?  Also, do you know if they provide glasses with the bottle or do I need to use the stateroom tumbler?

Hi Karen! Fellow blues cruiser here! Yes, you can order bottles of liquor on the HAL website.  Bring canned mixers on with you or just buy pop etc on board.

Even on regular cruises everyone walks around with drinks in their bubba, tervis or yeti mugs. Everyone. It is not coffee in those mugs. 

Dont listen to some of the nonsense spouted here.

Bartenders know full well when you hand them a mug full of rye to top up with coke. They do not care. Not once, not ever.  We do this most cruises unless we have a beverage package.

See you on the blues cruise! I will have my black and pink bubba mug with me 😁

Edited by sun~
Spelling

41 minutes ago, KruisingKaren said:

It's our first LRBC.  Can't wait.  If I spot that black and pink bubba mug I'll introduce myself!

I hope you are on the lrbc fb page too. Lots of info!

See you on board.

Sheila from Ottawa 

Last cruise we brought extra bottle of wine , nobody blinked an eyelash, carried the wine around in a wine carrier. Then at a port , son picked up  6 bottles of rum for sixty dollars, carried it on-board a cardboard carton, told him they would take it, they didn’t but we put it on the table for them to tag, again no big deal. We left. them the extra wine for the cabin steward.

Edited by Niagarawine

I ordered several bottles for delivery to my cabin on embarkation day.  Nowhere during the ordering process did it say that the alcohol was for in-room consumption only.  It did state, however, that a gratuity was included in the purchase price.  I printed out my receipt to carry onto the ship with me to ensure I get what I paid for - especially since I completed my purchase before the price increase.

I plan on having a wee dram or three wherever I want.  Who's to say what's in my glass and where it came from?