Follow the Ham Fam as we Chase the Sun!

L1211

Hey CC, our family of four will departs tomorrow for our first NCL cruise on an older ship, the Sun. We’ve greatly enjoyed our Away Class sailings and hope the Sun proved entertaining in her own way.  We’ve been away from NCL for a couple of years, our last two cruises were on RCCL’s Behemoth of the Seas (the exact ship names slips my mind!) and a quick spring break trip on Carnival’s Victory. 

We enjoyed both cruises but neither fit quite like a NCL cruise fits our family. RCCL was missing night time fun!  The bars closed at midnight and before they, they were full of children on the dance floor. We don’t drink in the kids clubs, And I’d prefer that the bars remain toddler free but that might just be us. They has tons of daytime activities, but were really not big zip liners or wave boarders. So, not the best fit. We totally enjoyed the entertainment on the Carnival cruise!  But, can I just say LINES. Lines for everything. 

That’s the first installment. Got a flight to catch!! . . 

Edited by L1211
Typo
  • Like 4

Here’s the cast of characters. We’re from Louisville, KY. We’re well traveled and lived abroad in Shanghai, PRC for three years. Myself, DW, and husband, are both mid-fifties. My husband is retired and I’m a chief HR officer for a hospital company. I travel extensively. The DDs are in college making Christmas break the best time to travel. The youngest is a sophomore at UK and the oldest plays volleyball for SDSU, making our Holiday options more limited. We also tend to visit San Diego when time permits. 

D9E3456E-2304-4126-A2F0-EA80D9581D50.jpeg

97C57C40-615D-44E8-9F78-05EED4FDD821.png

Here’s a favorite memory from Cagney’s on the waterfront on the Escape, I believe . It was a 7pm sail away from Miami and the skyline was spectacular!  If you ever have a chance to dine outside during a late Miami sailaway don’t miss it!!  The girls don’t yet know the smaller ship doesn’t have a Waterfront. Or a Howl at the Moon... I might should mention those details pre-boarding tomorrow...

E9CC1705-E166-476B-9E0D-3ABD9D20BB73.jpeg

So here’s the plan, we booked during the free air promo and we choose to fly in a day early given the time of year. We are routed from louisville through DCA- a very odd route to Orlando, but we depart at 12.30 and arrive at 5:30. Not the worst trip ever and for $125 with the day early supplement, I will take it!!  We booked a rental car from National for our own transfers and we are staying at the Homewood  Suites in  Port Canaveral tonight. 

we picked the premium plus beverage package as a perk because the Sun was still open bar when we booked. That and the 2 night speciality dining package. 

We actually have four nights of speciality dining planned, paying al la carte at Teppanyaki (same price as the package cost?) and at Los Lobos. I just can’t see us ordering $160 from the menu at Los Lobos. The girls aren’t huge eaters. So, the dinner package will be saved for Cagney’s and Le Bistro. Both family favorites!  We have one night reserved at the MDR, something we have never done on NCL before. 

Vacation has officially begun. First Bloody Mary. Now to pick the first mindless vacation read!  We’ve made it to Washington,DC on the way to Orlando. Depart at 3:15. 

A552DAEE-18C1-4CC2-B83F-8DD230527C09.jpeg

F532AAA2-925D-47A2-8D9D-1453382427B5.jpeg

So while we sit in the incredibly crowded airport, I will share some pre-cruise experiences with NCL. This is the first time we’ve book outside the 90 day payment window for any cruise. advance-planning isn’t our strong suit. But, we planned this getaway in June. Well, prices plummeted. First, just before the 90 day window, they dropped about $175 each with the free air still running. But, at that point I could not get an adjustment and keep the premium plus beverage package. So, I only did the price drop on the girl’s cabin.  We kept the perk with our original pricing. The prices dropped another $100, no kidding!!, but without the free air. When I called about a cabin change or onboard credit, I was told the value of the cruise with air was $2200 (we paid $629 each plus $124 air for 5days). They put quite the value on their air supplemental!! So, I’m still happy with the price and will enjoy the cruise!!  Here’s the premium plus drink list. I have to drink my $300 adjustment worth in 5 days. Open to suggestions from those with experience on getting the best value!  Wish me luck!!!

FCFCF6EC-0DA6-4437-8369-CEC00B5D7BE4.jpeg

Trip planning- given the trip falls just after the holidays, planning fell off the list. Dinner reservations were about the extent of the plans. We have a day in Cozumel and Costa Maya, both ports we’ve been to several times. Last times in Cozumel, we took a boat to Passion Island. That was beautiful. We’ve been to Mr. Sanchos and a lovely nature reserve park/beach- Chakanaab. In Costa Maya, we walked the malecon and stopped at the Crazy Lobster for drinks and the beach last time in port. 

For Cozumel, we’re thinking about Paradise Beach Club. And maybe Blue Kay at Costa Maya. We don’t want AI given all the eating and drinking on the ship - time away is a good chance to take some time away from indulgence!  Anyone done these lately?  Any other ideas to consider? 

2 hours ago, L1211 said:

So while we sit in the incredibly crowded airport, I will share some pre-cruise experiences with NCL. This is the first time we’ve book outside the 90 day payment window for any cruise. advance-planning isn’t our strong suit. But, we planned this getaway in June. Well, prices plummeted. First, just before the 90 day window, they dropped about $175 each with the free air still running. But, at that point I could not get an adjustment and keep the premium plus beverage package. So, I only did the price drop on the girl’s cabin.  We kept the perk with our original pricing. The prices dropped another $100, no kidding!!, but without the free air. When I called about a cabin change or onboard credit, I was told the value of the cruise with air was $2200 (we paid $629 each plus $124 air for 5days). They put quite the value on their air supplemental!! So, I’m still happy with the price and will enjoy the cruise!!  Here’s the premium plus drink list. I have to drink my $300 adjustment worth in 5 days. Open to suggestions from those with experience on getting the best value!  Wish me luck!!!

I drank my weight in Veuve Cliquot and Chambord cocktails “ Kir Royale” style. I reckon I drank the equivalent of 2 bottles of champagne a day, and at $99/bottle I made that package worth it.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

I drank my weight in Veuve Cliquot and Chambord cocktails “ Kir Royale” style. I reckon I drank the equivalent of 2 bottles of champagne a day, and at $99/bottle I made that package worth it.

Thank you Stephmaia, 

ive read you can also get bottles of Veuve at dinner. Was that your experience?  That would help close the gap quickly!!

Just now, L1211 said:

Thank you Stephmaia, 

ive read you can also get bottles of Veuve at dinner. Was that your experience?  That would help close the gap quickly!!

Yes, you can get a bottle at dinner, bring a champagne stopper on board with you, and if there is any left you can take it back to your cabin. If there are 2 of you with the package you can order one each.

https://www.amazon.com/Champagne-Stopper-Pump-Keeps-Bubbly/dp/B07XMR7B4H/ref=asc_df_B07XMR7B4H/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385184468284&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4355137076628523163&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052452&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-845319857163&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=78287726853&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385184468284&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4355137076628523163&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052452&hvtargid=aud-801381245258:pla-845319857163

That quckly recoups your upgrade payment.

3 minutes ago, L1211 said:

Well well!  Just landed in Orlando and need to make a sun screen run tonight. Will be looking for wine and champagne stoppers!!  Thank you for the tips!!! 

Always check on the drink menu before you order that the offer has not changed, NCL can be sneaky that way. I was on December 8th and all I said held true then. Enjoy! Report back if anything has changed.

So back to using NCL air. The price was certainly right, but there are several direct options to Orlando we would have booked, booking on our own. They did not choose these flights. We arrived at 5:45 tonight, day before the flight so no idea what they would have considered a good day-of option, but I had no intention of finding out. As for our return, it is worse. We don’t leave till 7:45pm and arrive home at midnight. So, with a day to kill, we booked a hotel room through DayPass. Only $89 and we have the room 9-4. Nice option for relaxing poolside, gym or naps!  Would I use it again?  I think so if the price was right. Flights can really add up for a family of four...

• Like 1

We’ve checked into the Homewood Suites Port Canaveral. Nice place!  They have a snack and drink 5:30 till 7:30. That’s cheese soup and salad, bread,  beer and wine, although limited to white zin or sweet red.  

the place is clean and in good repair. So far I’d recommend. 

B3E767F3-29A8-419D-A29F-C79B6C8FD7B9.jpeg

558C250C-494E-420F-A69F-7136C14912DB.jpeg

CA20C2B8-47E7-4FCF-B517-52EA1952A021.jpeg

355C05E1-4F4B-4887-9C69-68127EDE6A2B.jpeg

4F14B368-F3EB-450D-BA49-D37B6712B833.jpeg

Dinner tonight was predetermined to be seafood. We asked for referrals and ended up at a cute place less than a mile from the hotel called The Cove- a row of restaurants on the bay.  We dined at Rusty’s. Dinner was good. The flounder was great. Crab legs salty. Weather perfect. They had live music outside. Fun start to vacation. 

A6ABF575-3346-48A9-99DF-207242125F81.jpeg

7512ADA2-B2D8-4C01-A1EA-6AC684E229CC.jpeg

809D235E-2047-4985-BA3C-E5640872BC54.jpeg

7 hours ago, L1211 said:

Good to set lofty goals, great learning experience for your lovely daughters.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AKR2011 said:

Great start and nice book choices.  I read 9 Perfect Strangers on my last cruise. It's a pretty fabulous vacation read 😎

Yay!  I didn’t start either yesterday, still wrapping up work. She’s my favorite author so figured I couldn’t go wrong!