Follow the Ham Fam as we Chase the Sun!

L1211

Relaxing morning. Hotel offers breakfast, typical powdered eggs, bacon and make yourself waffles. They also have Pastries, cereals and Fruit, juice and coffee. Not a bad cold spread. 

The grounds are small but lovely. Zero entry pool and even a tiki bar serving drinks till 10. 

C39F2388-521E-4C0A-A945-38B07A46C433.jpeg

25DBF421-06D8-4964-8523-93C98E7F26B8.jpeg

2D5D444C-34F3-4F73-9040-7D3EA01EF006.jpeg

Hotel review- I definitely recommend the Homewood Suites Cape Canaveral.  this place is great for a family traveling looking for a place close to the port. Updated, friendly, clean, roomy with free snacks/wine and beer (huge caveat on the wine!) and breakfast. Lovely grounds with pool and tiki bar. Close to plenty of restaurants on the bay. And, we now know there is a mall only 8 miles away, the College athlete who Has to workout daily, a condition of coming on the trip, didn’t bring workout shoes...  

But, I made a mistake booking it. I always book a reward Hilton room when we travel. I travel so much for work, that’s one perk!  Last time we traveled out of this port, we stayed on Coco Beach. Such a better choice!  It was a much older Hilton, but beachfront. Would be nice to be listening to the ocean roar right now as the girls sleep in. My bad!  Hotel is nice, but I’d go for location!!

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Here’s the view from the hotel. Was dark when we arrived. Didn’t realize we were so close to the port!  Anyone know who this beauty is?  Didn’t see the hull.

00CFF17B-E41A-4D0E-A41D-B1ED8C6B2BAB.jpeg

One can see the Royal Caribbean insignia, so I suspect that is Mariner of the Seas, as that is the older RCI ship currently doing 3&4 night sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Have fun on the Sun.  She is quite different from the away class ships; I hope your family finds things to enjoy on the smaller ship.  Wishing you clear skies and warm breezes.

Sooooooooooooo glad I found this thread! Me and my SON head out on the SUN in 2 weeks! :classic_biggrin: We have a late arrival the night before the cruise but I am biting the bullet and heading to Cocoa Beach so that we can wake up to the ocean prior to boarding.

He is 20 and I will be getting him the parental waiver for beer and wine and paying ala carte for his drinks. We did do the AI for the beach days so he can have some variety to his beverages.

I am hoping there are still some young adults on the cruise when we go. I plan to spend time with him but I imagine he wants to hang out with others his own age. He is joining the Air Force next month so this is going to be much needed mom/son time. Great photos!

Edited by Dawnya00
added info

40 minutes ago, Dawnya00 said:

Sooooooooooooo glad I found this thread! Me and my SON head out on the SUN in 2 weeks! :classic_biggrin: We have a late arrival the night before the cruise but I am biting the bullet and heading to Cocoa Beach so that we can wake up to the ocean prior to boarding.

He is 20 and I will be getting him the parental waiver for beer and wine and paying ala carte for his drinks. We did do the AI for the beach days so he can have some variety to his beverages.

I am hoping there are still some young adults on the cruise when we go. I plan to spend time with him but I imagine he wants to hang out with others his own age. He is joining the Air Force next month so this is going to be much needed mom/son time. Great photos!

Yay!!  I love pre-cruise so I’m sure this will help you pass the days!!!  What a wonderful mother-son time!!  You made the right call. I was up early while the girls slept in. I was really wishing for an oceanfront hotel!!!  Totally worth the extra drive in and out. 

47 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

One can see the Royal Caribbean insignia, so I suspect that is Mariner of the Seas, as that is the older RCI ship currently doing 3&4 night sailings out of Port Canaveral.

Have fun on the Sun.  She is quite different from the away class ships; I hope your family finds things to enjoy on the smaller ship.  Wishing you clear skies and warm breezes.

I missed the RC anchor!  Thank you. Yeah, the girls only wanted a short cruise so the Away class wasn’t an option. I’m afraid it will be more like our RCCL cruises in the evenings. Slow post-dinner. They tend to sleep in and stay up late. We shall see...

18 hours ago, stefmaia said:

Hey there, made a wine stopper run this morning!  Don’t you love cruise critic!!

4AB62988-D9E7-4CF2-AE38-A040F0F9452D.jpeg

• Like 1

Driving yourself to the port is quite easy with a rental. The rental center was less than a mile from the Homewood Suites with free shuttles to the port. Shuttle was waiting, but not our shuttle...  

0E5D38A3-CFBE-4858-A0A6-194C8A5B81D4.jpeg

Hope you have a great time!  I really enjoyed the Sun when I was on her before.  I think you definitely made the right choice with Los Lobos - I would not use the meal package on Lobos because the ala carte costs are lower than the other restaurants.

19 hours ago, stefmaia said:

Hey there, made a wine stopper run this morning!  Don’t you love cruise critic!!

Wow!  So, we showed up exactly 1 hour behind our planned time due to the workout shoe episode with the scholarship athlete...  we pulled into the rental car return at 11:57 and were boarding The Sun at 12:19!  How’s that for fastest embankment ever!!!  

here we are boarding. 

FB05E4FE-72CE-425C-B523-941260DB603C.jpeg

61515CEA-A66E-4053-864C-202AB6DDF965.jpeg

1 hour ago, L1211 said:

Take care with those, they are wine stoppers as opposed to champagne stoppers, they should be OK but without the neck lock they might fly out unexpectedly adding to the entertainment 🍾

Lunch was a success. We went to the MDR, always like a sit down lunch on embarkation day. Service was good food was even better. Here’s the menu. So much for war on seafood. Showed up on the Sun!

7EE89453-3DC2-499F-BE4B-D2D2E2F74833.jpeg

C40EA10A-EF7C-4B03-BB05-73C4007059FA.jpeg

Here are our choices. Calamari 8/10. Almost perfectly crispy, lovely aoli, DD loved the roasted tomato soup, Cajun shrimp arugula salad was a huge hit, had it as my entree and blue crab salad the big winner!!  

98164F1B-1CF7-403C-8650-056161BC105B.jpeg

And then the good times ended. Huge disappointment in the room. I used a NCL rep to help me choose the room. We booked early so way over paid for “choice” of room. I wanted OV rooms that looked like the picture advertised (same floor plan as a balcony with only a full window). Wow, that is NOT what I got. Second pic is what the rep helped me select. The first  is our actual rooms. We’re in an inside cabins with a window. I called and even tried to pay to move, sailing full, no way. So, Im the sucker who paid about double what others around me paid for this crap room. Not a good way to start, experience or end a cruise. Feeling cheated. 

C412E003-96D9-4B3F-AE52-4A0C08CE31B3.jpeg

47920D6D-0691-4200-AA4A-E91A12AE93E7.png

So we have might have the smallest room on the ship. Maybe 5 inches clearance? Yeah. I’m not happy. I was very specific on room because we USE our room. Can’t wait to snuggle up on this “sofa” and watch a movie. 

B166EBC6-5B7A-4F98-A5A0-FC7367EC1237.jpeg

D088BCB1-7A76-45D9-BA0B-EDB15C23338B.jpeg

57 minutes ago, L1211 said:

And then the good times ended. Huge disappointment in the room. I used a NCL rep to help me choose the room. We booked early so way over paid for “choice” of room. I wanted OV rooms that looked like the picture advertised (same floor plan as a balcony with only a full window). Wow, that is NOT what I got. Second pic is what the rep helped me select. The first  is our actual rooms. We’re in an inside cabins with a window. I called and even tried to pay to move, sailing full, no way. So, Im the sucker who paid about double what others around me paid for this crap room. Not a good way to start, experience or end a cruise. Feeling cheated. 

C412E003-96D9-4B3F-AE52-4A0C08CE31B3.jpeg

47920D6D-0691-4200-AA4A-E91A12AE93E7.png

Welcome to NCL.  The rep has probably never set foot on a cruise ship and told you anything you wanted to hear to get the paid booking.  The cheerleaders on here will blame you for not doing your due diligence.  Shame on you....