Cab to Mendenhall Glacier

DENNAS

How much is a cab to Mendenhall Glacier and will it fit 5 adults? If not,  do I have any other options besides city bus or the shuttle to the Glacier which I understand is around $45? Is that round trip?? 
Thanks!

Edited by DENNAS
Spelling

The transportation options are listed on the Forest Service website.  The options you were missing are the 2 shuttle companies (last yr was $45pp RT)  and a rental car.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

Taxis can fit 5 or 7.  The fare used to be about $40 each way, but the fare has been rising steadily since the Forest Service started charging a fee to vendors (and passengers).   Give the taxi company a call and ask them for an approx cost for summer 2020.  Please post back with their response as others will be interested.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I just called Evergreen Taxi to get an idea of the cost to get to Mendenhall Glacier. They quoted me $138 round trip for our party of 4 and including park passes. Pickup from the Glacier is whatever time we need. Just need to text our driver. 

Cost for our family of 4 — 

Taxi cost:

$35 each way ($70)

$17 Park passes for each passenger ($68)
Total $138

Blue Shuttle cost:

$45 round trip per person

Total $180

• Like 1

I don't understand the $17

1 hour ago, Zuzu99 said:

So, I just called Evergreen Taxi to get an idea of the cost to get to Mendenhall Glacier. They quoted me $138 round trip for our party of 4 and including park passes. Pickup from the Glacier is whatever time we need. Just need to text our driver. 

Taxi cost:

$35 each way ($70)

Total $138

Blue Shuttle cost:

Total $180

Park pass for $17pp ??     The Forest Service fee is only $5.

By the way, thank you for making the call and posting the response !

Edited by mapleleaves
thx
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

I don't understand the $17

Park pass for $17pp ??     The Forest Service fee is only $5.

By the way, thank you for making the call and posting the response !

After researching here as well as Trip Advisor, I found out that the taxi companies can charge anywhere from $5 up to $17 for the pass. Yes, the individual pass is $5 if you go to the visitor center but if you take a taxi, it’s up to $17. So far, most of the reviews that I’ve read did confirm the $17 charge. 

We have a rental car booked from the Avis right by the pier. Its $100 for the day. This was the cheapest option for our family of four. It looks like about a 15-20 minute walk from the pier to Avis. 

Be careful, there are two Avis locations, one by the airport and a seasonal one by the pier. This is the one by the pier.

https://www.avis.com/en/locations/us/ak/juneau/j2d

On 1/21/2020 at 6:10 PM, Zuzu99 said:

Taxi cost:

$35 each way ($70)

Total $138

Blue Shuttle cost:

Total $180

thanks for this information. My husband has a National Parks Seniors pass would we still have to pay the Park pass? 

11 minutes ago, TXRed said:

thanks for this information. My husband has a National Parks Seniors pass would we still have to pay the Park pass? 

According to the Forest Service, it looks like his Pass will work at Mendenhall.

But if you're travelling by taxi, who knows ? if they are getting away with a $17 charge for a $5 pass, they will probably charge him.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd502109

1 hour ago, mapleleaves said:

According to the Forest Service, it looks like his Pass will work at Mendenhall.

But if you're travelling by taxi, who knows ? if they are getting away with a $17 charge for a $5 pass, they will probably charge him.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd502109

I did ask about that as well. They said it will save you $5 per passenger.  So for our family of 4, it saves $20.  So the taxi fare is  $118. It looks like they are still charging more then the fare itself. I don’t know how to get around that. Hoping someone else has better luck. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

What if you take an Uber/Lyft vs a regular taxi?  Do you still have to pay the entrance fee to them or would you just pay yourself at the entrance?

According to this thread from last yr on tripadvisor,  Uber didn't get a permit from the Forest Service so they can't access Mendenhall.  

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g31020-i1190-k12729285-Confusion_about_taxi_charges_to_Mendenhall_Glacier-Juneau_Alaska.html

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mapleleaves said:

The Mendenhall Glacier is located just 12 miles outside of Juneau and you can get there by taking a bus from downtown for $30 roundtrip. A taxi will cost you around $35 one-way. 

https://www.alaska.org/detail/mendenhall-glacier

4 minutes ago, VermeulT said:

The Mendenhall Glacier is located just 12 miles outside of Juneau and you can get there by taking a bus from downtown for $30 roundtrip. A taxi will cost you around $35 one-way. 

https://www.alaska.org/detail/mendenhall-glacier

alaska.org is not current with that information.  That's what this thread is about !

• 4 weeks later...

I called Evergreen Taxi -

-The gentleman I spoke with said to call or book online - evergreen taxi.com -about a week before. He said that’s plenty of time. 
-He confirmed the approximate $35 each way - then the $17 per person to get in the park/ visitor center etc. 

-He said talk to driver on the ride out about the approximate pick up time. 
-Just chatting with him, he said on a sunny day if folks like doing trails and visitor center, etc you can spend up to 3.5-4 hours there and if it’s rainy,  two hours is average. He said July ‘tends to be’ sunny. That’s when I’m going. So my fingers are crossed. 

Hope this helps.