LIVE Coral Princess Jan 5 - 21 Antarctica

jrblach

11 hours ago, heathriel said:

Here is the revised chart of our Chilean Fjord route to Ushuaia.

Fjord map.png

Will this still take you through Beagle Channel?  Glacier alley was stunning last time we were there.  This new route should be spectacular scenery.  Make the most of a great adventure

1 hour ago, holidayhelen said:

Will this still take you through Beagle Channel?  Glacier alley was stunning last time we were there.  This new route should be spectacular scenery.  Make the most of a great adventure

It only looks good on paper as we will be passing through Glacier alley before sunrise, i.e. in the dark...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, holidayhelen said:

no the captain said trade offs were made but that what we will see down in Antarctica should be much better. I have been to Glacier Alley and agree that it is stunning. 

I would just like to give a shout out to Julie and say how fantastic she has been to talk to on board. Whether it is a change in itinerary, crazy weather, or passenger disappointments, her composure and demeanor are always a delight. I look forward to seeing her and her husband each day.

That’s something that you should keep in mind as well about your cruise — on a small ship like the Coral, it may be sold out, but it is so spacious that you won’t feel crowded. You’ll see the same people over and over again like you live in a small town. The people who choose the same unique itineraries that I do, even though our ages are generally vastly different, are one of the best things — to me at least — about cruising.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, heathriel said:

I would just like to give a shout out to Julie and say how fantastic she has been to talk to on board. Whether it is a change in itinerary, crazy weather, or passenger disappointments, her composure and demeanor are always a delight. I look forward to seeing her and her husband each day.

That’s something that you should keep in mind as well about your cruise — on a small ship like the Coral, it may be sold out, but it is so spacious that you won’t feel crowded. You’ll see the same people over and over again like you live in a small town. The people who choose the same unique itineraries that I do, even though our ages are generally vastly different, are one of the best things — to me at least — about cruising.

It has been a pleasure talking to you as well. And I agree with you about the Coral too. Almost 2000 passengers on board but none of the venues ever seen crowded. Even though this is a little different cruise than we expected, we have enjoyed it immensely. Bring on the next adventure!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

It has been a pleasure talking to you as well. And I agree with you about the Coral too. Almost 2000 passengers on board but none of the venues ever seen crowded. Even though this is a little different cruise than we expected, we have enjoyed it immensely. Bring on the next adventure!

I think people got so used to sailing the newer ships, they forgot how wonderful and spacious the older ships are. I love the Coral Princess.

Glad you are enjoying your cruise!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jrblach said:

We r in ushuaia. Sun 60f. Miss beagle ch.  Ship is compressing 4 Antarctic days into 2. Will publish actual. Looks like long days

Today looks lovely. Were the seas really rough?  Any update on any other compensation for losing the 2 days in Antartica?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, holidayhelen said:

Today looks lovely. Were the seas really rough?  Any update on any other compensation for losing the 2 days in Antartica?

It was rough in the open seas of the Pacific due to a storm. Today was incredible in Tierra del Fuego where we had picture perfect weather finally. And nothing has been said about compensation other than the initial $75 goodwill  OBC. Guessing they are going to see how our time down there goes before considering that. I do think Captain McBain will do everything he can to deliver the best possible experience for us. 

• Like 3

Good luck crossing the Drake Passage. We had a calm lake one direction and roughish seas the other direction. Have you heard what is expected? 

Wishing you a magical time in Antarctica. I hope it is as fantastic as my experience two weeks ago. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Just checked the ships webcam and can see the snow capped mountains around the city. Looks like it would be cooler than 60 deg. 
You guys were certainly due for a good weather day.  Glad for you all. Hope we have one like that when we arrive there in a couple weeks. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, erber said:

Good luck crossing the Drake Passage. We had a calm lake one direction and roughish seas the other direction. Have you heard what is expected? 

Wishing you a magical time in Antarctica. I hope it is as fantastic as my experience two weeks ago. Fingers crossed!

Expected to be calm in both directions (so far).

• Like 2

We visited Ushuaia, Argentina on Sunday Jan 12.

Stores, museums, hop on hop off bus all gladly took US dollars. Exchange rate 63 to 1 USD. They were very favorable in rounding up or down to have full dollar transactions.  Sunny, partly cloudy, 60 F. most stores open Sunday.

Hop on Hop off bus $10, 1 hour.  Fantatstic museum $15 USD. Occupies old prison. 5 museums in one: Prison, maritime, Antarctic, marine art, art, original prison wing. Very complete exhibitions & info on expeditions, ship wrecks, native people, prison. You could spend several days there.

Visited Cape Horn Monday Jan 13. ship went around entire island. Shrouded in low clouds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

Yes. Any chance you can advise what is similar to yours and what is different? Of course, ours is still tentative as you know.

In the Drake now heading south! 

AF50CD3D-D893-40EA-8330-F1BBBF4717E4.jpeg

Your itinerary is very similar to what we ended up doing in our antarctic scenic cruising. Elephant Island is where we started and then we had to miss Esperanza station so instead we went to Admiralty Bay. It is beautiful. We went in the Gerlache Strait and Neumayer Channel, as well as Charlotte Bay (which is where we saw an unbelievable number of whales). We were only able to cruise the outer coast of Deception Island and could not enter the middle of it due to weather. Honestly, it looks like the plan for your cruise will have you see as much as we did. You are in for the most awesome experience.  I'm so excited for you. 

8 minutes ago, erber said:

Your itinerary is very similar to what we ended up doing in our antarctic scenic cruising. Elephant Island is where we started and then we had to miss Esperanza station so instead we went to Admiralty Bay. It is beautiful. We went in the Gerlache Strait and Neumayer Channel, as well as Charlotte Bay (which is where we saw an unbelievable number of whales). We were only able to cruise the outer coast of Deception Island and could not enter the middle of it due to weather. Honestly, it looks like the plan for your cruise will have you see as much as we did. You are in for the most awesome experience.  I'm so excited for you. 

Awesome, thanks for the comparison! I think we’re all pretty excited onboard the ship just as I’m sure everyone was on your cruise.

That day at Deception Island is starting too early though at 5:45am. It was tough enough being up on deck early enough for our 6:45am rounding of the Horn. But everyone is different with their own preferences — I’m sure some won’t like the later call in Charlotte Bay and would prefer the early morning opposite of us.

Essentially it looks the same because of Esperanza and just compressed with everything spaced closer together so at least we shouldn’t be missing too much.

We started the Antarctic environmental stuff with papers/plastics today with the temporary smoking policy. We also got the reminders about intermittent Internet connectivity so it’s really getting close now.

Edited by xDisconnections

I was able to post text to cruise critic throughout Antarctica, but NO photos. I could share photos with my family on WhatsApp but it was slow.

Charlotte Bay was really good, LOTS of whales, so if it is the same for you...don't miss it. Deception Island was very eerie and shrouded in clouds when we were there. And, the weather was not good. We even had some snow! But we were prevented from going into the middle of the island so perhaps you will be luckier. We also went to Paradise Harbor when we couldn't go to Esperanza Station and it was beautiful scenery. Honestly, it is all pristine gorgeousness.

Please post how it's going, even if you can't post photos! I'm back at work in the high 80sF in Florida...so I am missing the 30 F weather in Antarctica right now. ❄️