Darkwood or Beachlimerz

LorraineP

CC is usually a good resource.

However, when it comes to Antigua (with supposeddly 365 beaches), the information seem to be all over regarding which beach has gradual entrance to the water.

RECENT data points are important (compared to those from memory of trip few years ago) as storms and heavy winter surf can redefine those drop-offs.

We chose Turners based on recommendation here specifically about not having huge drop-off and but were disappointed as IT DID have huge drop off (and then an unstable sand bar and even larger drop off) Currents were strong.  Shallow water was more difficult than 5 feet deep water.

Based on some recent data points here, I will not be surprised if this winter there is no beach with gradual entry in Antigua  (Barbados has much better beach options)

If someone has found one THIS WINTER, please do post as it will help future cruisers this season.

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

On 1/7/2020 at 7:41 PM, LorraineP said:

Arriving for a day on the Anthem in a few weeks.Trying to decide which beach to spend some relaxing time. Which beach is closest to cruise pier, has a gradual entrance into water, good food and has restroom?

Beach Limerz is closer with a great beach with gradual entrance, great restaurant/bar, great people. It is a 10-15 minute cab ride.

Darkwood is good too, with a slightly steeper entrance/exit, but is a 30 to 40 minute cab ride.

Here is Beach Limerz in from our time there in Nov. 2019:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3hDO6YYgI

Here is Darkwood from October,2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbtNk6zA-BA

If you go to Beach Limerz, tell Gail,one of the owners, that Jim and Toni recommended them. It will make her smile, and she has a lovely smile. Contact her at info@beachlimerz.com

Edited by existentialtraveler
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2020 at 4:43 PM, existentialtraveler said:

You will not regret it. Gail and her husband, Barry, are  such  lovely people...you could probably sense her smile through the emails!

You sure you're not getting a cut? 😎

(we're booked there too in Feb)

2 minutes ago, existentialtraveler said:

Nope..i have no affiliation with them other than that they are nice people and have a really nice old school beach bar/restaurant. You will see what i mean when you meet them! 

Have noticed that you push them very aggressively on this board and they may indeed be great  but.....

a) are you sure about gradual entry vs drop-off that seems to be omnipresent at all Antigua beaches this season

b) people can do their own research about this facility on TripAdvisor etc but I was worried about rough waves/wipe outs/broken nose/taken away by ambulence 

38 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Have noticed that you push them very aggressively on this board and they may indeed be great  but.....

a) are you sure about gradual entry vs drop-off that seems to be omnipresent at all Antigua beaches this season

b) people can do their own research about this facility on TripAdvisor etc but I was worried about rough waves/wipe outs/broken nose/taken away by ambulence 

I was not aware that I was being aggressive. I thought I was just trying to recommend a beach/bar/restaurant I enjoy  and is run by people I like and that I think others would like and enjoy as well.

To answer your questions:

a. yes, I am sure. I was just there in November.

b.People can indeed do, and should do,  their own research on TripAdvisor as well as on Cruise Critic and youtube and anywhere else information is available. I have never encountered rough waves at Fort St James Beach, the beach on which Beach Limerz is located. The ocean is, however, not 100% predictable and storms at sea can cause  dangerous waves. I have been told that a storm a couple years ago wiped out a good portion of Fort St James Beach...so yes..it is possible. But, that being said, it is also possible at ANY beach ANYWHERE, and I can only, therefore, reiterate that, in the several times I have been there, I personally have not encountered dangerous wave action on Fort St James Beach.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We will be arriving in Antigua next week.  We are a party of 7-9 very interested in Beach Limerz, but we prefer to pay when we arrive at the beach rather than pre pay.  Can we just take a taxi over in the morning and pay when we arrive at the location? 

TIA

9 minutes ago, Dorh said:

We will be arriving in Antigua next week.  We are a party of 7-9 very interested in Beach Limerz, but we prefer to pay when we arrive at the beach rather than pre pay.  Can we just take a taxi over in the morning and pay when we arrive at the location? 

TIA

Yes, but I would suggest you contact Gail at info@beachlimerz.com to make a reservation. She will arrange for a taxi to pick you up/return you at a slightly cheaper rate than the taxis in port charge and she will reserve beach chairs for you. I have never prepaid. Enjoy!

10 minutes ago, Dorh said:

TIA

I'm guessing that would be ok.  You may run the risk of them being at full when you get there.

Yes, one more RECENT datapont wil be very useful.

While one poster keep pushing for Beach Limerz, two new recent posts by posters

Allentownahoy

aquidneck1

raises some concerns about the CURRENT situation

looking forward to more datapoints from posters such as Dorh who wil be checking them out this week

12 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Allentownahoy

aquidneck1

looking forward to more datapoints from posters such as Dorh who wil be checking them out this week

Interested also will be there 2/1. 

On 1/9/2020 at 9:40 AM, existentialtraveler said:

Beach Limerz is closer with a great beach with gradual entrance, great restaurant/bar, great people. It is a 10-15 minute cab ride.

Darkwood is good too, with a slightly steeper entrance/exit, but is a 30 to 40 minute cab ride.

Here is Beach Limerz in from our time there in Nov. 2019:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm3hDO6YYgI

Here is Darkwood from October,2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbtNk6zA-BA

If you go to Beach Limerz, tell Gail,one of the owners, that Jim and Toni recommended them. It will make her smile, and she has a lovely smile. Contact her at info@beachlimerz.com

Nice videos. What graphics/video program did you use?

16 hours ago, hal2008 said:

Allentownahoy

aquidneck1

YES! MORE DATA POINTS! We need those DATA POINTS!  DATA POINTS, damn it! MORE DATA POINTS!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Does anyone have any other information on  Darkwood Beach vs Beach Limerz, which was the original discussion before hal2008 diverted it with his ONE POSTER nonsense? So far, the ONE POSTER actually seems to be the only one to offer a comparison, and supplied some really nice videos  to aid in the comparison as well. Anyone ?

Edited by DreaminoftheCaribbean

10 hours ago, DreaminoftheCaribbean said:

Does anyone have any other information on  Darkwood Beach vs Beach Limerz, which was the original discussion before hal2008 diverted it with his ONE POSTER nonsense? So far, the ONE POSTER actually seems to be the only one to offer a comparison, and supplied some really nice videos  to aid in the comparison as well. Anyone ?

There are plenty of information about various Antigua beaches spread across 3 o4 threads

(Including both beaches).

One is certainly welcome to try Beach Limerz but usual Buyer Beware caution applies as CC to ohas been inflicted by the usuual fake/biased reviews problem.

You seem to have joined CC only this week with 3 of your 8 posts dedicated to specific purpose.

Here is the situation in Antigua:

1. It is a beautiful island with lots and lots of beaches

2. Sharp-drop off HAS been issue at many (or may be all) beaches

3. Very recent information (december 209 and Jan 2019) seem to be more critical as apparently reviews from previous years or even previous months are no longer valid about CURRENT situation. Two LONG-TIME CC uses 

Allentownahoy and Aquidneck1 have reported issues/danger/concerns for Beach Limerz. (But Aquidneck1 still recommends it if other aspects are more important)

Dickenson, FT James (Limerz), Jolly Beach, DIckenson, Church Valley, Turners' - all these beaches have both previous years/months as well as very recent reviews spread scross 3-4 threads. It should be noted that in each case, most recent reviews contradict review from the past.  This seem to indicate that this winter there has been major erosion near water line at these beaches.

Again, it only takes half an hour so to look at recent posts and make your own informed decision

Edited by hal2008

8 hours ago, hal2008 said:

There are plenty of information about various Antigua beaches spread across 3 o4 threads

(Including both beaches).

One is certainly welcome to try Beach Limerz but usual Buyer Beware caution applies as CC to ohas been inflicted by the usuual fake/biased reviews problem.

You seem to have joined CC only this week with 3 of your 8 posts dedicated to specific purpose.

Here is the situation in Antigua:

1. It is a beautiful island with lots and lots of beaches

2. Sharp-drop off HAS been issue at many (or may be all) beaches

3. Very recent information (december 209 and Jan 2019) seem to be more critical as apparently reviews from previous years or even previous months are no longer valid about CURRENT situation. Two LONG-TIME CC uses 

Allentownahoy and Aquidneck1 have reported issues/danger/concerns for Beach Limerz. (But Aquidneck1 still recommends it if other aspects are more important)

Dickenson, FT James (Limerz), Jolly Beach, DIckenson, Church Valley, Turners' - all these beaches have both previous years/months as well as very recent reviews spread scross 3-4 threads. It should be noted that in each case, most recent reviews contradict review from the past.  This seem to indicate that this winter there has been major erosion near water line at these beaches.

Again, it only takes half an hour so to look at recent posts and make your own informed decision

Here is the situation on this thread:

You are correct. I am new to Cruise Critic, but I am not new to the internet or to social media and I recognize snarky comments when I see them.  One of the two "LONG-TIME CC uses" ( your caps and misspellings..not mine), Allentownahoy, related an incident that occurred two years ago...hardly "CURRENT" ( your caps, not mine)...  and Aquidneck1  recommends Beach Limerzs and didn't seem too "concerned" about "issues" or mention any "dangers." Quite the opposite.

Fake/biased reviews? What exactly are you implying? That the ONE POSTER is fake? Or maybe his videos are fake? Biased? If you consider enthusiastically positive reviews, backed up with videos, biased, then I would agree. Logically, aren't negative reviews then biased as well? It seems to me that your consistently negative comments  and your campaign to discredit one poster..spread across 3 threads... are extremely biased. In addition, your posts here are not only rife with thinly disguised snarky comments but are also with spelling, punctuation and grammatical errors. 

Half an hour to find recent posts? It took me only a few minutes, and I have made my own informed decision. I have decided not to engage with you on this any longer.

Edited by DreaminoftheCaribbean
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, DreaminoftheCaribbean said:

....What exactly are you implying?....

When a particular business (rather than public location) establisment is heavily pushed by a single poster especially with attempts generate credit (even intangible) for referral with the business establishment by repeatedly insisting "tell them XXX referred you", BUYER BEWARE is prident course. 

It is quite likely that both the the poster and the business are genuinely good. But due deligence in terms of more data points is recommended. (you are of course welcome to ignore recommendation).

There has NOT been a negative review posted for this establishment by me. Just caution based on 

a) some comments about LImerz by other posters

b) nearly dozen posts  by single poster across MANY threads seeking credit "tell them XXX referred you"

Yes, negative reviews can be biased too.

Thats why suggeston is for informed decision.

3 hours ago, DreaminoftheCaribbean said:

. I have decided not to engage with you on this any longer.

Much obliged.

Never initiated any engagement. It was your insuting posts that prompted a response.

I know you are new to CC. But it is all about "pay forward" by helping other future cruisers.

Hope you have a great first cruise experience.

On 1/12/2020 at 5:39 PM, DreaminoftheCaribbean said:

Nice videos. What graphics/video program did you use?

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed them. I use Photo to Movie. It is a relatively inexpensive software  that is downloadable from the internet and is very easy to learn. Photo to Movie even has online tutorials.

I think you are correct in not engaging with certain posters. My wife gave me the same advice, which, for a change, I heeded. People will believe what they wish to believe, even when there is little and even no evidence to support that belief. On the Holland America board, there is thread on "Dealing with Difficult Posts" and it contains a good piece of advice. Do not engage.

But! And this is a big but! One of your last sentences  in your last post, while  technically not grammatically incorrect, is somewhat grammatically awkward, and, even worse, more than a little "snarky!" I don't think you should accuse someone of being snarky  and then follow it with a snarky comment! Just my opinion..I could be wrong. 😀