X and AZ cruisers want to do Alaska with teens

ClaudiaB

We have done about 16 X cruises, and one AZ cruise (with two more booked) and most were 10-14 days.  We love the product.   Want to take the teen and pre teen grands (with parents) on an Alaska cruise.  We have done Alaska on X and loved it.  I wonder if they need more activity (i.e. the amusement park on top deck like RC and others have).  What is there to do on X for that age group on down times when we're not in port or watching for whales on deck?   Is there a RC ship that is as nice as X or comparable size (not larger) to S class?   We've talked to so many people on our cruises who say they'd never take an RC cruise.  What about Princess?   Would my grandsons be bored?  What is a comparable ship to Celebrity?   

Any advice or comments very welcomed as we make our decision.  

If we were taking our grands that are close to the ages of yours we would pick Royal. When it is us without the kids we don’t cruise Royal.  We are Diamond on Royal and enjoyed our cruises.  Food was fine, entertainment better, service was very good just too many children, too noisy not a relaxed atmosphere.

If you prefer Celebrity, and you are treating, then do Celebrity.  
Alaska is about the ports, and there are few sea days.  

Tell them to bring their Kindles and a few books for down time.  Bring a couple of family card games that are easy to pack, and enjoy the time with the grands!

In the past when we traveled with friends or family 35 or younger we would book Royal. Royal has 3 ships doing Alaska. I would book Radiance of the Seas (my favorite Royal ship) or Serenade of the Seas. Ovation of the Seas is newer, but just under 5000 guests. Ovation will have more options. But you must be a planning to organize events ahead of time. Other wise you stand in a line and get back filled after others have entered the event.

18 hours ago, ClaudiaB said:

We have done about 16 X cruises, and one AZ cruise (with two more booked) and most were 10-14 days.  We love the product.   Want to take the teen and pre teen grands (with parents) on an Alaska cruise.  We have done Alaska on X and loved it.  I wonder if they need more activity (i.e. the amusement park on top deck like RC and others have).  What is there to do on X for that age group on down times when we're not in port or watching for whales on deck?   Is there a RC ship that is as nice as X or comparable size (not larger) to S class?   We've talked to so many people on our cruises who say they'd never take an RC cruise.  What about Princess?   Would my grandsons be bored?  What is a comparable ship to Celebrity?   

Any advice or comments very welcomed as we make our decision.  

I think it will be a great trip for them...

On our South Bound sailing in 2018 on The Millie, there were lots of kids in their age range aboard.

Many were in Camp and having fun from what I could glean.

Some of the 'older' kids (14 - 16) were even hanging out at night and the Camp has activities scheduled then, too.

They will meet new friends and get to see the wonderful nature around them as well...

You will be making many wonderful memories for them.

bon voyage

X has been our line of choice but after much research we chose Princess for Alaska.  Were not disappointed.  Did 6 days on land from Fairbanks to the coast followed by 7 night southbound cruise.  Our 3 teenage daughters were exhausted from touring but never bored.  I'm sure they would have been equally satisfied had we taken X.   

I think you'd be better off with  Royal Caribbean in this case. We took a family vacation to Alaska while I was in my mid-20s on Holland. We were the youngest people on the ship by decades. The ship was dead by 10pm, we ended up making friends with the crew.

Also, make sure that you have active excursions planned in the ports. Had we not done the kayaking, canoeing and hiking during the ports, I don't think we would have enjoyed the trip as much.