Recent Changes on the Emerald ?

chamima

We haven't sailed the Emerald since 2017 and will soon be on her for a month so I was curious as to any changes made to her in the last couple of years.

I know that she has Medallion Net and the new beds.

Anyone sailed on her recently and can comment?

Has the decor changed from the old blue and brown to the new grey and beige?

Any changes to the buffet? Any other on board areas?

Appreciate any and all comments.

We sailed on her in Oct/Nov for 22 days in the Med.....some particular things that I recall were:

---no Bavarian night in the buffet (I asked a sous-chef, and he had not idea what I was talking about)

---weak coffee in the IC

---worst ever meal on a Princess ship in "Steamers"

---best ever Cabin Steward

---very decent wifi

---dining room food was uninspiring

Edited by chrysalis
  • Like 1

I was on a month ago.   The buffet is called the International Market and it has white and grey décor with basins for washing hands.  That whole deck where the pool starts has become white and grey and looks good.  The deck chairs appeared new. The corridors have a light grey carpet - possibly too light and may get stained but it was OK when I was on.  I am not sure all the Medallion was working as the internet was OK.   Generally the rest of the ship was not changed, may-be except for furniture, i.e. in Crooners.   The bed I noticed was very comfortable, I was unaware if the mattress was new.  The cabin itself appeared to have no change and had the old colours.  There was no barrel chair and I did not miss it but there was a desk chair.   The Wheelhouse bar seemed to have a partial update.   Generally, that was all the change in décor.

We were on a large table for Traditional Dining and had lots of fun.   The food was generally good and the food waiter really good, as was our cabin steward.   With so many elites on board, it took 5 days at times to have tee shirts returned but undies were returned in two.   I gave up with the laundry but my husband loved it regardless of the time taken.  We enjoyed our first time on the Emerald.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rassa said:

I was on a month ago.   The buffet is called the International Market and it has white and grey décor with basins for washing hands.  That whole deck where the pool starts has become white and grey and looks good.  The deck chairs appeared new. The corridors have a light grey carpet - possibly too light and may get stained but it was OK when I was on.  I am not sure all the Medallion was working as the internet was OK.   Generally the rest of the ship was not changed, may-be except for furniture, i.e. in Crooners.   The bed I noticed was very comfortable, I was unaware if the mattress was new.  The cabin itself appeared to have no change and had the old colours.  There was no barrel chair and I did not miss it but there was a desk chair.   The Wheelhouse bar seemed to have a partial update.   Generally, that was all the change in décor.

Thanks!

I was hoping the cabins had been updated.

We're just off the Pacific and the new colors in the cabin and all over the ship were beautiful and the bedside lamp with the USB port was WONDERFUL!!!!!

Oh well..................

Edited by chamima

We spent over a month on the Emerald, Feb./Mar. 2019. We had a great time. No issues with dining, staff, food or anything. They had a really wonderful staff. Beds were very comfy. The ship has the fast medallion net internet. It is not scheduled to become a full medallion ship until August 2020. During the April 2019 dry dock the ship was spruced up with new carpets and other customary changes. The buffet was changed. Better seating, changed selections. Planks and Steamers was added to the aft buffet area, previously Cafe Caribe. If you enjoy fresh made to order omelettes or cooked to order eggs in the morning this is where you will find them. This area is also open for lunch with special themed selections. No Charge as always for breakfast & lunch. In the evening there is a $12 charge for Planks and Steamers. By the Lido pools the ice cream  and pizza location was changed to Coffee & Cones and Slices. Coffee & Cones has specialty coffee drinks like the International Cafe, but no brewed coffee. You will still have to go to the I.C. for that. Same pizza with some nice added menu options. The grill was changed to the Salty Dog Grill. Again similar as before with some added options. I would not hesitate to travel again on the Emerald.

No second chair in balcony cat. cabins. Ask your cabin steward for one on boarding day if you want one. There may be new carpets in the cabins.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

A couple of questions if anyone has recently been on the Emerald

1- Was hand lotion provided in the cabins? Either in a big dispenser or little tubes (either would be fine)

2-  Re Power outlet sockets/ plug points  - Is it just the 2 together by the desk? Any USB points?

Thank you 

1 hour ago, debsjc said:

A couple of questions if anyone has recently been on the Emerald

1- Was hand lotion provided in the cabins? Either in a big dispenser or little tubes (either would be fine)

2-  Re Power outlet sockets/ plug points  - Is it just the 2 together by the desk? Any USB points?

Thank you 

Yes, there was hand lotion provided in little tubes and replaced when empty in your cabin.

There were 2 power points by the desk but I can't remember about the USB point.

I thought that Coffee and Cones by the pool did sell the same coffee as the IC.  There were always people lining up, but what coffee was being dispensed from the coffee machine, I am not sure, because I did not purchase any.

• Like 1

We sailed Emerald 14 days in November. Worst steward ever - by far. One of the worst Cruise Directors we've had and her "main sidekick" was "Scottish Ken" who is the only Princess staff member I have ever met who was rude and snotty to passengers. Worst trivia ever (due to Ken). Worst bed we have ever had on a Princess ship. Noisiest and worst cabin we have ever had.

We sailed Emerald for 28 days in late 2017 and all of the things noted above were the exact opposite. Excellent cruise and all things about it were great. Great bed, great steward, fantastic CD and staff, etc. We were sooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed with the difference on the recent cruise.

I have to agree about the CD.   We were on for 29 days and I wondered at first if there was a CD on board and yes she was not much, but the Captain was great with his noon updates (had him on another cruise in the past).   We chose this cruise because it went to Morroco - our tour guide got the lowest score I could give (and others on the bus were not impressed either)  and the Everglades guide the highest score I could give.   Our table waiter received my highest score because he was the best ever and the cabin steward was also great.