Cruise Critic Community
txflood33

Would you consider these ports DIY?

Taipei, Taiwan - Busan, S Korea - Jeju Island, S Korea - Nagasaki, Japan

I have tours schedules for other ports. From what I have read, these ports are maganable with HOHO buses, cabs or other transportation. 

We have done cities on our own before, but the language barrier certainly wasn't as strong. 

Thanks in advance

There’s ALOT to see in Taipei and we found a tour was the most efficient  way to get around . In honesty, we could have spent another day or so there. 

We booked a private tour with a company called YOLO. Our guide Willie, was one of the best we’ve encountered. He knew exactly where to stand at various places to get the best views, away from the larger tour groups. He took note of our interests and immediately tailored the day to our liking. His own “highlights of the museum tour” was brilliant given the short amount of time we had. 

Yes, we could have spent the day in Taipei independently, but no way would we have seen as much as we did, nor understood what we were seeing.

Boatharbour is correct.

I speak Chinese and Japanese, and I have lived in this area for decades, so these ports are DIY for me.

If you don't speak the languages and do not know the area, doing it on your own may save you a lot of money - but you will miss 90% of all the "good stuff".

BruceMuzz,

we have a port stop in Hiroshima. We are on Oceania Nautica. All the ship tours have limited time at the Peace Memorial and gardens. We are afraid we will be hurried. So, we thought we could get there either via taxi or train. Neither of us speak Japanese. From what I have read on their websites the explanations are also in English. I tried to find a private guide but we need to get to the Memorial. I could not find any that would meet us at the ship which could be regulations. Are we being foolhardy? We are not planning on visiting other sites. Thank you again for your kind words and advice.

Pearl,

This one you can do on your own.

Every foreigner who visits Hiroshima wants to visit the memorial. In the cruise terminal you will find a great deal of information on getting there. There will be English speaking volunteers who will be happy to write Japanese instructions for a taxi driver. 

Hiroshima has an excellent public transit system that can take you to the memorial.

Many of the exhibits at the memorial are bilingual.

You will not have any problems.

We did the Hop On Hop Off bus in Busan and it was easy! We got off at a couple of stops to do some coastal walking (as walking is our 'thing') and found it easy to get a bus back. We stopped at Keelung in Taiwan so can't comment on that except to say that we used a local bus in Keelung and people were VERY helpful at pointing us in the right direction when we were a bit uncertain.

We actually very rarely do ship tours as I much prefer a more local experience if it's possible