rental wheelchairs

Hawaiidan

scootaround is a good company to use, if O doesn't.

You book online,or phone,  pay in advance, option for insurance

and they will deliver and pick up. You give your stateroom number and it will be in your room

on embarkation.

Edited by dog

Oceania also told me to call scoot around.

I haven't because I don't think we'll need it for most of the cruise.

We booked our St. Petersburg excursions with TJ Travel and they are providing wheelchair AND someone to push it at no extra cost so I know we'll be fine there. 

I'm going back a long time -- to November 2005.  We boarded Marina in Barcelona.  I'd torn my meniscus the day before boarding a train in Barcelona, saw the doctor upon boarding and he gave me a shot of something or other.  But that night I was squeezing into one of those three separate tables for two attached to the windows in the GDR.  It was a very tight squeeze since all the seats around me were occupied and we were being guided to the two window seats.  I managed to wrench my knee terribly -- my foot went to the left and my knee to the right, or vice versa.  I managed to get to my seat but when I tried to stand up to leave the restaurant I could not walk.

The waiters whipped out a wheelchair which was mine to use for the duration of the cruise.  No charge ...

But that was then, and I had no idea in advance that I would need one!

Mura

When we arrived in Miami for our Riviera cruise last month, Delta broke my scooter, dropping it off the ramp.  Delta called Scootaround and arranged for a scooter to be on board for my use.  Oceania does not rent scooters or wheelchairs for passenger use (we found that out when we got the rental), but they do have a couple of wheelchairs for emergency purposes.  Scootaround rents very nice Pride GoGo scooters for a decent price.  The also rent Drive wheelchairs.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kitty9 said:

When we arrived in Miami for our Riviera cruise last month, Delta broke my scooter, dropping it off the ramp.  Delta called Scootaround and arranged for a scooter to be on board for my use.  Oceania does not rent scooters or wheelchairs for passenger use (we found that out when we got the rental), but they do have a couple of wheelchairs for emergency purposes.  Scootaround rents very nice Pride GoGo scooters for a decent price.  The also rent Drive wheelchairs.  

Sadly they do not have offices for AMS  or BCN.   It might be better to buy a cheap one have it shipped and throw it away.  Maybe I can buy one in Amsterdam

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

It might be better to buy a cheap one have it shipped and throw it away.  

Just buy a lightweight folding transport wheelchair (they are available everywhere from CVS drug stores to Amazon, etc.)  Take it with you on your flights (have it tagged at the airports for gate delivery) and use it when you board the ship instead of waiting for someone to find a chair.  Use it on tours, around the ship and so on.  It really makes things more convenient when you have your own chair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Sadly they do not have offices for AMS  or BCN.   It might be better to buy a cheap one have it shipped and throw it away.  Maybe I can buy one in Amsterdam

I’ve rented from Scootaround and had scooters waiting for me when I embarked in Rome, Southhampton and Copenhagen.  I disembarked a cruise in Barcelona and they were waiting to pick up the scooter after the cruise was over. 

If you do buy a wheelchair, don’t throw it away.  Donate it to the medical center on the ship. 

Edited by kitty9
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Did you phone scoot around to find out current situation?

13 hours ago, kitty9 said:

I’ve rented from Scootaround and had scooters waiting for me when I embarked in Rome, Southhampton and Copenhagen.  I disembarked a cruise in Barcelona and they were waiting to pick up the scooter after the cruise was over. 

If you do buy a wheelchair, don’t throw it away.  Donate it to the medical center on the ship. 

I thought they were in Barcelona too could try phoning. Lady is very helpful on phone. 
last flight I was in I saw how they threw the walkers, w chairs down the slide. Easy to damage them

Edited by dog

4 hours ago, kitty9 said:

Don’t just look at the website.  Call Scootaround and ask.  That’s what I’ve done and have rented scooters from them in many foreign cities. 

Thanks Kitty....I did call ,and they said they can service almost any port with advance notice   A transport chair delivered to you room and picked up from it, for 2 weeks AMS-BCN  was  $306.00   When you consider shipping and labor it becomes a reasonable deal.....well to me.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

A transport chair delivered to you room and picked up from it, for 2 weeks AMS-BCN  was  $306.00   When you consider shipping and labor it becomes a reasonable deal.....well to me.

You can buy a new transport chair for under $100.00.  We have a 48-year-old daughter who has been physically disabled all her life, and we are well used to travel with several kinds of chairs over the years.  As we mentioned before, take it with you for your entire journey.  Your wife will have the comfort of knowing she won't have to compromise herself in an airport or on the ship or on a tour, as she will be able to sit down when need be - plus it folds up and doesn't need a lot of room for storing in a plane, car or cabin.  Do consider this.  It will prove more valuable than you think.

58 minutes ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

You can buy a new transport chair for under $100.00.  We have a 48-year-old daughter who has been physically disabled all her life, and we are well used to travel with several kinds of chairs over the years.  As we mentioned before, take it with you for your entire journey.  Your wife will have the comfort of knowing she won't have to compromise herself in an airport or on the ship or on a tour, as she will be able to sit down when need be - plus it folds up and doesn't need a lot of room for storing in a plane, car or cabin.  Do consider this.  It will prove more valuable than you think.

She loves her rolling walker ...  cheapest I found was 200-300 only want the transfer chair  for on the ship.    Shipping both  would be expensive not only for bags but in porters. taxis,, have to use a limo  to haul it all.     Still trying to figure out LAX  with its prohibition of taxi and others.... have to take toe stupid bus  in and out to the  transport center....  Only private cars get to drop..    Stupid Stupid stupid