Credit card insurance question.

The card doesn't even have to be black! The ANZ platinum card has the same insurance conditions and is $295 p.a. in fees compared with black which is $425 p.a.. That's the Frequent Flyer Platinum and Frequent Flyer Black. Not sure about the insurance conditions on their other cards. Always good to check and keep checking the terms & conditions every time you book (even before you book). Can't be too careful with the old travel insurance.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

The card doesn't even have to be black! The ANZ platinum card has the same insurance conditions and is $295 p.a. in fees compared with black which is $425 p.a.. That's the Frequent Flyer Platinum and Frequent Flyer Black. Not sure about the insurance conditions on their other cards. Always good to check and keep checking the terms & conditions every time you book (even before you book). Can't be too careful with the old travel insurance.

We don't pay the fee so chose the Black Card for the few extra benefits, mainly the Qantas Lounge passes.

When we have to start paying an annual fee we will certainly be looking for the best deal.

I remember some previous threads stated that some of their other cards had lesser Travel Cover.

• Like 1

We use the ANZ Platinum Visa.  I can't justify spending $425 p.a. in fees so the platinum is OK for us. It has the 'free' travel insurance. For the first year there is a zero account fee. After that it is $87, but if you spend $20,000 on 'eligible purchases' in 12 months, it is zero.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

Following the cancellation of our P&O cruise from Singapore, I contacted my Westpac insurance company and was informed that we were not covered due to the COVID-19. They started they do not cover epidemics or pandemic. Has anyone found a credit card policy that covers COVID-19? If so, I will be looking for a change of banks.

I have had a quick look at the ANZ Travel Insurance pdf for exclusions. Nowhere does it say they do NOT pay in the event of an epidemic or pandemic.

They do mention 'act of war, rebellion or revolution.... ' as exclusions. I mention this latter point to demonstrate that they do mention specific events as exclusions, but not epidemics or pandemics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheznandy said:

I think Mic Canberra has had a ANZ black for a while too.

Yes, we do, but we need to shop around again as the Insurance is no longer a perk for us as they will not cover the pre existing condition since they moved underwriters from Zurich to Allianz. We now do an annual policy with NRMA.

I normally use my complimentary New Zealand ANZ Platinum VISA card insurance.  I purchased my air fares and cruise travel mid December, date of travel 20th August 2020,  prior to any mention of the Coronavirus.  
The fine print states we are only insured from 6 months prior to travel which was on Thursday 20th February, after Allianz (the Insurer for ANZ travel insurance) stated no new policies would be covered for Coronavirus - therefore we are not covered.  Very upsetting and will probably never use the complimentary insurance again.

Rang Covermore Insurance and for a added fee, are covered for ‘Cancel for any reason’ up to $10000 each, also free cover for our exciting conditions but total price is $NZ1500 for a 3 week holiday (they added Cruise Cover for our 2 week cruise). The $10000 each will only be a small percentage of the total costs but the airfares are changeable for a small fee. Better than nothing and very good to deal with (Flight Centre use this Insurance company).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lizmore said:

I normally use my complimentary New Zealand ANZ Platinum VISA card insurance.  I purchased my air fares and cruise travel mid December, date of travel 20th August 2020,  prior to any mention of the Coronavirus.  
The fine print states we are only insured from 6 months prior to travel which was on Thursday 20th February, after Allianz (the Insurer for ANZ travel insurance) stated no new policies would be covered for Coronavirus - therefore we are not covered.  Very upsetting and will probably never use the complimentary insurance again.

Rang Covermore Insurance and for a added fee, are covered for ‘Cancel for any reason’ up to $10000 each, also free cover for our exciting conditions but total price is $NZ1500 for a 3 week holiday (they added Cruise Cover for our 2 week cruise). The $10000 each will only be a small percentage of the total costs but the airfares are changeable for a small fee. Better than nothing and very good to deal with (Flight Centre use this Insurance company).

Can I just confirm that your travel insurance via card doesn't activate until you are 6 months away from travel date? I've never heard of that before and defeats half the point of having it! Usually the insurance cover activates and is useful from the point of purchase/activation so you're covered from the day you use the card to purchase your trip.

And were you able to add 'cancel for any reason' after the outbreak of coronavirus?

Sorry you've been left so out of pocket.

Yes, you are correct.  I did not know this and we have used this credit card insurance many times.

I searched the policy document and it took me a long time to actually find it (after having it confirmed by a New Zealand ANZ staff member).  It was under definitions of ‘travel’.

I tried to find it in the Australian ANZ platinum card insurance policy documents and could not find it, even though they both use Allianz as the underwriter so it may just be for New Zealand customers.

Very sneaky and I am not sure if many customers would know that.  I am glad I found out, lesson learnt and I don’t mind being out of pocket for something important.  Fingers crossed I won’t need to claim🙂

Covermore did add for a fee ‘cancel for any reason’ - including Coronavirus but only up to $10000 each which isn’t too much of an issue for most people.  Has a few conditions but they don’t appear to affect us.

Edited by Lizmore

34 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Can I just confirm that your travel insurance via card doesn't activate until you are 6 months away from travel date? I've never heard of that before and defeats half the point of having it! Usually the insurance cover activates and is useful from the point of purchase/activation so you're covered from the day you use the card to purchase your trip.

And were you able to add 'cancel for any reason' after the outbreak of coronavirus?

Sorry you've been left so out of pocket.

Lizmore who posted the information about the '6 months before a trip' lives in NZ. I don't know where 'LittleFish1976' is based.

Our Australian ANZ Visa Platinum card does not have a restriction of 6 months. We just have to spend at least $250 of the travel cost on the card, be Aussie citizens/residents less than 80 yrs old, and have a return ticket to Aust (this can be a cruise ticket). I think I have covered all the restrictions.

Sounds perfect Aus Traveller. That is quiet different to our policy. I thought the same thing about the New Zealand ANZ card.  You put your details into the form on the computer to check if you are eligible and yay, it said I was so I thought everything was good.  But no, not covered until the 20th February for a trip beginning 20th August. It didn’t say that on my eligibility letter😐

Unfortunately things changed on the 30th January for Allianz, no new customers will be covered for claims to do with CoronaVirus.

17 minutes ago, Lizmore said:

Sounds perfect Aus Traveller. That is quiet different to our policy. I thought the same thing about the New Zealand ANZ card.  You put your details into the form on the computer to check if you are eligible and yay, it said I was so I thought everything was good.  But no, not covered until the 20th February for a trip beginning 20th August. It didn’t say that on my eligibility letter😐

Unfortunately things changed on the 30th January for Allianz, no new customers will be covered for claims to do with CoronaVirus.

When you say "no  new customers" do you mean cruises booked after 30th January?

Yes.

I am classed as a new customer as my insurance with the credit card takes effect from 20th February, even though I booked and paid 50% 15th December.

Anybody applying for insurance after 30th January will not be covered for CoronaVirus related claims.

Looks like only an ANZ New Zealand credit card insurance requirement about the 6month eligibility requirement.

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Lizmore who posted the information about the '6 months before a trip' lives in NZ. I don't know where 'LittleFish1976' is based.

Our Australian ANZ Visa Platinum card does not have a restriction of 6 months. We just have to spend at least $250 of the travel cost on the card, be Aussie citizens/residents less than 80 yrs old, and have a return ticket to Aust (this can be a cruise ticket). I think I have covered all the restrictions.

Hi, LittleFish is in Australia! I wasn't thinking this affected by own policies but I had just never heard of that restriction before so good to check that it exists as an insurance condition. I always like to keep on top of changes and be aware of possibilities.

The whole travel insurance area seems to be becoming increasingly complex.

21 minutes ago, Lizmore said:

Yes.

I am classed as a new customer as my insurance with the credit card takes effect from 20th February, even though I booked and paid 50% 15th December.

Anybody applying for insurance after 30th January will not be covered for CoronaVirus related claims.

Looks like only an ANZ New Zealand credit card insurance requirement about the 6month eligibility requirement.

It appears from what you said that in NZ you have to apply for the travel insurance under your ANZ visa card and that is what you refer to when you said "new customer". We don't in Australia. We just have to meet the qualifying criteria.

We also don’t have to apply but can check online if we meet the eligibility criteria and get a nice letter to confirm (if this gives people reassurance that they are covered)

it is the 6 month thing.  Once you are inside the 6 month window, you are now a customer, not unfortunately like you when you book your trip.

Messy,  but a bit of research will have shown me this.  I just didn’t do the research but now know for future reference🙂