The Key vs Diamond in a Suite

Water709

Hi, my DH and I are returning to RCI in May (traveling on the Empress of the Seas in May to Bermuda) after several cruises on Celebrity.  I see now RCI is offering something called "The Key" which essentially buys a passenger a higher level of service than a typical passenger would get, such as lunch in the MDR upon embarkation, reserved seats at some shows, etc.  My question is, because we are already "Diamond" level and also will be traveling in a Junior Suite, is it worth it for us to purchase "The Key?"  Advice is appreciated.  I believe Diamond and Suite guests have Priority boarding but does the Key offer additional amenities?  I was thinking of getting it just for the MDR lunch after boarding as we normally do not enjoy fighting the crowds at the Windjammer on the first day boarding.  But it seems like a lot of $$ for us if many of the amenities are already included for us since we are Diamond and traveling in a suite.  Hope someone can shed some light on this for us.  Thanks in advance.

23 minutes ago, Water709 said:

Hi, my DH and I are returning to RCI in May (traveling on the Empress of the Seas in May to Bermuda) after several cruises on Celebrity.  I see now RCI is offering something called "The Key" which essentially buys a passenger a higher level of service than a typical passenger would get, such as lunch in the MDR upon embarkation, reserved seats at some shows, etc.  My question is, because we are already "Diamond" level and also will be traveling in a Junior Suite, is it worth it for us to purchase "The Key?"  Advice is appreciated.  I believe Diamond and Suite guests have Priority boarding but does the Key offer additional amenities?  I was thinking of getting it just for the MDR lunch after boarding as we normally do not enjoy fighting the crowds at the Windjammer on the first day boarding.  But it seems like a lot of $$ for us if many of the amenities are already included for us since we are Diamond and traveling in a suite.  Hope someone can shed some light on this for us.  Thanks in advance.

We can present reasons for the Key, pro and con, but the bottom line is this:

On the Empress, it is basically worthless.  PLEASE save your money for some nice dinners in Chops, internet, or something else.  You won't regret that choice.

• Like 1

We’ve used Key twice.  Everyone is different, since we are not diamond and have 2 kids it was worth it.  The early boarding and then priority disembarkation,for the reserved seating and key only times for activities as well as for the Internet.  The lunch is a nice extra as well as the private breakfast on disembarkation day.

its even better when it’s on sale 🙂

51 minutes ago, Sail n Snow said:

We’ve used Key twice.  Everyone is different, since we are not diamond and have 2 kids it was worth it.  The early boarding and then priority disembarkation,for the reserved seating and key only times for activities as well as for the Internet.  The lunch is a nice extra as well as the private breakfast on disembarkation day.

its even better when it’s on sale 🙂

On which two ships?  Quantum and Voyager?  

No comparison to Empress.

The number of CREW on Quantum is about the same as the number of PASSENGERS on the Empress.

The Key is a Chops lunch and internet on one device for the whole cruise

Everything else is pointless fluff

The best way to work it out is - would you pay for internet every day? If so, work out the difference and consider whether that's worth a steak at lunchtime on the first day