Refund policy on ship's tours

jtsbusiness

7 minutes ago, jtsbusiness said:

I have booked a rather expensive ship's tour and I am now having doubts as to it's suitability.  Can I cancel the tour.  I don't go on my cruise for another 2 weeks

IMO I WOULD CALL HAL ON THIS QUESTION. I HAVE NEVER CANCELLED A TOUR THROUGH HAL, BUT I AM SURE YOU WILL GET SOME OF OUR WONDERFUL CCERS THAT WILL GIVE GREAT ADVISE.

DENISE😊

From the HAL website:

Cancellations for pre-paid tours are allowed up to 3 days prior to cruise embarkation and will be refunded to the credit card used for the purchase. If within 3 days of embarkation, all changes/cancellations must be done onboard the ship and refunds will be applied to your onboard account. If the credit is not fully utilized during the cruise, the balance will be paid to that passenger by the ship's Purser at the end of the voyage. If cancellation occurs onboard after the cancellation deadline for specific shore excursions, a 100% cancellation fee will apply. The ship's shore excursions office will be able to advise you of the cancellation deadline applicable to each tour. Optional shore excursions during the land portion of a Land & Sea Journey are non-refundable within 3 days of your Land & Sea Journey departure date. Group shore excursions cancelled within three days prior to embarkation (sail) date are nonrefundable. Custom tours may have different cancellation deadlines which will be stated in the proposal. In the rare instance that tours are cancelled by Holland America Line or the tour operator, the full amount will be refunded within four to six weeks after the voyage ends.

You'll get a full refund if you cancel now.

Edited by Alberta Quilter
  • Like 1

HAL tours are real good I have found about working with you on cancellations.  One time I had to cancel ONE HOUR before the cruise and when I called the tour desk to advise them that I would not be able to make it, they said that they had a wait list so if they could round up a person to take my place I would get my money back - which I did later in the day!  I was not expecting anything refunded, so I was quite happy about this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jtsbusiness said:

Thanks.  I had looked at this but couldn't see how.  I went into manage bookings, but couldn't find the details.

Obnxshs is correct. I thought of that, but didn’t reply. In my manage bookings where I purchased liquor I think it is in your ITINERARY where it is viewed daily by dates it shows delivery of my purchases AND ALSO IT SAYS CANCEL.So check there on the date of your tour👍
Densise

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jtsbusiness said:

Thanks.  I had looked at this but couldn't see how.  I went into manage bookings, but couldn't find the details.

If you look at your Itinerary (Already Booked - Manage My Bookings), there is the option to cancel any excursion, beverage card, etc. that you have booked.

Be careful about how much notice is required (it's usually in the confirmation you receive). My wife is on the four-day Galapagos excursion ($5k), and the penalties started 60 days from the excursion's departure.

The cancellation policy for Overland Adventures and Overnight Tours is as follows (unless noted otherwise in the tour description): 30 - 60 days before tour date: 25%; 14-29 days before tour date: 50%; Within 14 days of tour: Non Refundable. The 100% cancellation fee will apply here, as it does for Signature Collection Shore Excursions, since transportation and services will have already been arranged with the appropriate Shore Excursion operator.

Edited by kwb101

Just now, kwb101 said:

Be careful about hiow much notice is required (it's usually in the confirmation you receive). My wife is on the four-day Galapagos excursion ($5k), and the penalties started 60 days from the excursion's departure.

The cancellation policy for Overland Adventures and Overnight Tours is as follows (unless noted otherwise in the tour description): 30 - 60 days before tour date: 25%; 14-29 days before tour date: 50%; Within 14 days of tour: Non Refundable. The 100% cancellation fee will apply here, as it does for Signature Collection Shore Excursions, since transportation and services will have already been arranged with the appropriate Shore Excursion operator.

Yes, good info here.  Hopefully your excursion is not a land tour.  This is similar for Machu Picchu and Antarctic flights too.

• Like 1

Thanks again everyone for your great advice. I looked at my confirmation email and found the worst scenario that I have left it too late!

Stupidly I had not thought to check there😟

Edited by jtsbusiness
Spelling

1 hour ago, jtsbusiness said:

Thanks again everyone for your great advice. I looked at my confirmation email and found the worst scenario that I have left it too late!

Stupidly I had not thought to check there😟

🙁Sorry to hear!! Please still enjoy your cruise!! 
Denise😊

• Like 1

IIRC, the big excursions have detailed itineraries in the electronic PDF excursion booklet, which also includes the penalties in detail. HAL likes to roll lists into paragraphs to save space, but only confuses. It should be nice if they got someone who was familiar with document design for most of their printed material. If nothing else, they seem to think their customers are teenagers with 20/10 vision.

As far as penalties, the PDF copy I have (from August 2019) indicates that the penalties start 90 days before arriving at the port where the excursion departs.

Edited by kwb101