Costa Cruises Upgrade

gerryuk

Has anyone been lucky and been given a upgrade with Costa? I am in Costa Club and at level Perla, according to My Costa if I book more cruises this year than last, then I am entitled to a upgrade. I have 3 upcoming cruises with them so meet the criteria, one cruise is from  Dubai to Savona with a outside cabin and the other two are guaranteed insides on transatlantic cruises.

According to My Costa you have to contact them and request a upgrade before boarding the ship, as you cannot request an upgrade when on board. I was thinking of asking for a upgrade on one of the transatlantic cruises as they are both inside cabins.

Does getting a upgrade mean that if available I will get a outside cabin or above or does it mean that if you pay for a basic inside cabin they can keep you in the same cabin but put you on the comfort package and call that your upgrade?

If you get upgraded to a different cabin, do you get any perks associated with that cabin if there are any, or do you just get the cabin?

Does anyone have any experience with being upgraded with Costa?

Has anyone been lucky and been given a upgrade with Costa? Does getting a upgrade mean that if available I will get a outside cabin or above or does it mean that if you pay for a basic inside cabin they can keep you in the same cabin but put you on the comfort package and call that your upgrade? If you get upgraded to a different cabin, do you get any perks associated with that cabin if there are any, or do you just get the cabin?

Does anyone have any experience with being upgraded with Costa?

we also booked 3 Cruises compared to 2 the previous year and we got an automatic upgrade from an inside to a premium Ocean view without even asking, but the comfort package and free alcoholic drinks are not included. Its only a cabin upgrade, no perks of that upgraded cabin are included.

These up-grades depend on your club level,

I would buy a basic inside cabin & get a suite if I cruised one more time than last year as we are Perla Diamante members. this comes with a full Intenditore drinks package

These up-grades are given automatically when booked with Costa.

Your points are deducted in June  & club levels then change, as just a Perla member any up-grade is awarded according to what cabin you have booked and this should have come up when your personal file and club number was shown.

Any up-grade should always be claimed/given on booking, NOT on board after arriving.

Those are just standard up-grades given when a cabin is not available due to some problem.

Phone Costa or email info@costa.it 

• Like 1

I have only been doing one Costa cruise a year but climbing the Club levels very quickly.  Realise that if you book a year in advance like I do you get higher points.

Last year I was Club Perla, this year I am Perla Oro and think that by next year will be Perla Diamante.

2 minutes ago, maryann2 said:

I have only been doing one Costa cruise a year but climbing the Club levels very quickly.  Realise that if you book a year in advance like I do you get higher points.

Last year I was Club Perla, this year I am Perla Oro and think that by next year will be Perla Diamante.

I am so happy for you Mary ann.  you truly deserve it !

you are a loyal Costa fan, just like tenpin, GMT and Alicat

did you get an automatic cabin upgrade or did you have to phone to request for it?

49 minutes ago, drsel said:

I am so happy for you Mary ann.  you truly deserve it !

you are a loyal Costa fan, just like tenpin, GMT and Alicat

did you get an automatic cabin upgrade or did you have to phone to request for it?

From what I understand the upgrade is only if you do more than one cruise a year.  So far no upgrade for me.

1 hour ago, maryann2 said:

From what I understand the upgrade is only if you do more than one cruise a year.  So far no upgrade for me.

No, just checked. You are entitled to a upgrade if you book more cruises this year than last year. So if you did one cruise last year and booked two cruises this year, then you are entitled to a upgrade.

Also worth noting that any points gained are given to you, I think around 24 days after the cruise has finished and not when you book.

I am also on Peria level and this is what it says, on My Costa.....

Upgrade when you take more cruises than the previous year (best available category)

[**]

With the next levels up Peria Oro and Peria Diamanti, you are entitled to a super suite upgrade but again you have to take more cruises than the previous year. For me I am doing two cruises this year (so i am entitled to a upgrade) but if I want to get upgraded to a super suite I will need to book three cruises next year. I have already booked one for next year, so I am nearly there. 

• Like 1

No, just checked. You are entitled to a upgrade if you book more cruises this year than last year. So if you did one cruise last year and booked two cruises this year, then you are entitled to a upgrade.

Also worth noting that any points gained are given to you, I think around 24 days after the cruise has finished and not when you book.

I am also on Peria level and this is what it says, on My Costa.....

Upgrade when you take more cruises than the previous year (best available category)

[**]  

With the next levels up Peria Oro and Peria Diamanti, you are entitled to a super suite upgrade but again you have to take more cruises than the previous year. For me I am doing two cruises this year (so i am entitled to a upgrade) but if I want to get upgraded to a super suite I will need to book three cruises next year. I have already booked one for next year, so I am nearly there.

But are you sure you get the complimentary comforts and drinks package free with the cabin upgrade?

29 minutes ago, drsel said:

But are you sure you get the complimentary comforts and drinks package free with the cabin upgrade?

I don't see anything on My Costa regarding drinks packages or complimentary comforts with a cabin upgrade. Perhaps if you get upgraded to a super suite you may, but again there is nothing to say you will on My Costa, however Tenpin (above) did with the suites.

However it does state on My Costa that you have to contact them before boarding the ship to claim a upgrade.

**Upgrade and Super Upgrade to be requested prior to departure, not on board. For all conditions of applicability consult the CostaClub General Conditions.

Yes the Intenditore package comes with  the Suite as well as the club dining room. (Perla Diamante.)

Not sure I agree with these up-grades, as we can't find a Suite at full price for the Spring/Summer.

However our up-grade last year did not make sense, booked an basic inside at £1780 for the two of us, instead of the quote price of £3280. Got free baggage, OBC, Drinks package (£49.50 pppd) & suite. which work out the cruise cost us about £280 each.

I just called Costa UK. They said that the year in which you sail on your cruise(s) is considered for cabin upgrade and not the year in which you book your cruises. eg)
2018 one cruise sailed
2019 two cruises booked, zero sailed (no upgrade)
2020 two cruises sailed (still no upgrade, because you sailed zero in 2019 and 2018 is not considered)
2021 three cruises sailed (you will get the cabin upgrade only on the third cruise and not on the first two cruises of 2021)
You can ask for cabin upgrade for the 3rd Cruise only after completing the second Cruise of 2021

Also if you are booked any guaranteed cabin, you won't get any Costa club points for the cabin, but you will get 2 points for every Euro you spend on board including daily service charges.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 Note using Tapatalk

Yes it is obvious that you must have cruised, not just booked before any up-grade is given.

All up-grades are based on club levels you will never be given a guaranteed cabin with those, & points will be awarded for type of cabin given. Suites are 450 per day.

You will get points for any flight Costa does for you and for on-board spend.

One cruise last year as a Perla Diamante member two cruises this year will give you a suite (booked through Costa direct) they will up-grade you automatically from basic inside at Diamante level & premium inside at lower club levels to best cabin available.

You can see the T & C's in My Costa or Costa Club.

• Like 1

Last minute bookings are cheap.

Cabins are taken by travel companies on block, some times cruisers cancel at last minute (Was 30 day before cruise) lose only £50 PP.

Your allocated cabin can be double booked even basic ones you may not get the number or deck. These can come un-available that's when you may get an up-grade. We have once in twenty years from Balcony deck 7 to Samsara Suite deck eleven, no treatments were included.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, drsel said:

Norwegian becomes cheaper than Costa!
Norwegian Jade now is the cheapest cruise available at 33 dollars a day from Singapore to Dubai on Feb 27th
Be careful about paying much more than 33 dollars a day

Not surprising really, there will be a lot of people in that region thinking twice about going on a cruise. If this virus continues I would expect a lot of deals being offered from all cruise lines sailing in that part of the world, and wont be surprised if some of their ships are moved out of that region altogether until this virus is stopped. 

For me personally, I would chance it, if the deal and timings were right. But at the moment they couldn't give me a inside or studio cabin for free, the thought of being quarantined in one of them cabins for 14 days does not appeal.  

I wonder how much loss a cruise ship has to bear to keep passengers for 14 days extra, beyond their cruise.

They would also have to pay for the cancelled return flights / fresh flight bookings, not to mention the other expenses on staff salaries, food, etc.

And NO income!

Edited by drsel

Points are awarded for cabin grades (premium) on-board spend & flights.

All our cruises have been booked though Costa direct & up-grades given when warranted.

If you book through a T.A. then they should enquire about possible up-grade at time of booking, it is rare that you will get a free up-grade when boarding, but this has happened to us once in 31 cruises and I purchased a balcony up-grade on the Neo-Romantica after it's refit just after boarding so worth asking it may cost a little more but not as much as full price.

Yes otherwise they would not be given.

The points soon add up and benefits start after the first cruise after you have joined & cruised with them.

Do look at the Costa Club and look at all perks.

We are Perla Diamante and get up-grades, club dining, a bottle of wine, canapés, luggage collection & delivery from home, OBC of 75 E's each, priority boarding.

• 2 weeks later...

Just received my ticket via email for Abu Dhabi to Savona in 2 weeks time. I originally booked a guaranteed window cabin. I have this morning been given a premium balcony on level 1 near the aft of the ship, so happy days. I am in Costa Club level Perla and according to the Costa site you have to request a upgrade by phone as they will not be given, if you request one when boarding the ship. I did not phone them so they must be doing upgrades automatically, if you meet their points criteria. I would also think that if people are cancelling, they will have more cabins to play with. 

Does anybody know what is the difference between a basic and premium cabin is?

There are a few differences, firstly you have preference to your choice  of dining times, you also can have breakfast in your cabin at no charge,  this is just a continental type of thing, but with a few cooked choices. I think there is also a VIP get together, although we never go to these now far to crowded.