Akaroa...Any great day tours ???

Louand66

We are on a Princess cruise stopping weather permitting at Akaroa in March.

There are the usual ships tours but I wondered if anybody had done any really good day trips in Akaroa. 

Just general sight seeing sort of things ....

Many thanks

e were there in Dec.  Many people from the ship went into Christchurch from Akaroa.  We wanted to take a Black Cat Harbor cruise so we stayed in Akaroa to see the Hector dolphins. 

Since the Harbor cruise was only 2 hours, we also booked a local tour which was just okay.  The one part of the tour that we really enjoyed was the Giants House, the home of a local artist. She has created an interesting garden of large, colorful mosaics that were somewhat reminiscent of Gaudi.   In addition, because we were on the tour, we got to meet the artist and go into her home. You can reach the Giants house yourself by walking around the harbor and then going up a side street (the tourist information at the pier will tell you which street.)  It is about a 20 minute walk,  Note:  The driveway up to the house and garden is very steep.

If you do not want to make a decision prior to your arrival, there will be anumber of vendors at the pier selling both local tours and ones into Christchurch.

• Thanks 1

if you like wildlife & scenery, thoroughly recommend the half day Pohatu Penguins 4WD Scenic Nature Tour https://www.pohatu.co.nz/.

These guys are doing wonderful work & you can get up close & personal with rescued & nesting penguins. We booked thru Shore Trips & Tours and we were there this time last year. The tour departs right near the wharf where the tenders drop you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I may be the person Tansy Mews is referring to.  My husband and I did the Eastern Bays mail run and loved it.  You'll see countryside and beautiful views, quirky mailboxes, eat wonderful oatmeal bread (cake?) in the back yard of a very old church, possibly see sheep in a pasture, make a short visit to a beach and old country store (yes, nearby telephone in red booth works - phone reception in some places is limited!) and see Jeff and possibly his wife throw newspapers onto people's driveways.  We got back in time to go to the Giant's House, which I also loved.  Rural mailman Jeff helpfully dropped me off at the entrance to the driveway for Giant's House. I forget what I said in my original post (linked above, I suppose?), but if not:

-You have to prepay for the Mail Run tour.  If your ship or you don't make it, there are no refunds

-You need to be able to get ashore to meet tour guide Jeff, at the designated time (was 9 for us) keeping in mind Akaroa's a tender port.  He can't wait for people.

-Pay attention to meeting place - for us, on a cruise day, he specified meeting on the street right by where the tenders drop, which is at the main wharf.  If in doubt, ask the helpful folks standing at the end of the wharf.

I absolutely loved Akaroa.