Bora Bora to limit size of ship . . .

dandee2

Bora Bora wants to limit the number of cruise ship passenger on the island to 1000 per days starting 2022, which will give enought tiime to cruise line to modify their itinerary
The municipality want to keep the island an up-scale destination and maintain a proper level of service. Cruise ship had a negative effect on the local hotels, some of them having closed due to low turn-out. The number of bed will be increased to about 1,000 (700 today).

The local government will be in Miami at Seatrade to convey the message to the cruise industry.

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/gros-paquebots-bientot-interdits-sejours-bora-bora-792439.html

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/407885/boro-bora-calls-for-ban-on-large-cruise-ships

On 1/22/2020 at 5:13 PM, dandee2 said:

Bora Bora wants to limit the number of cruise ship passenger on the island to 1000 per days starting 2022, which will give enought tiime to cruise line to modify their itinerary
The municipality want to keep the island an up-scale destination and maintain a proper level of service. Cruise ship had a negative effect on the local hotels, some of them having closed due to low turn-out. The number of bed will be increased to about 1,000 (700 today).

The local government will be in Miami at Seatrade to convey the message to the cruise industry.

https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/polynesie/gros-paquebots-bientot-interdits-sejours-bora-bora-792439.html

https://www.rnz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/407885/boro-bora-calls-for-ban-on-large-cruise-ships

Sorry to anyone on a big ship, and a slap to me for being selfish, but YAY!

• Like 1

From another source there is also concern that Bora Bora doesn't have the infrastructure (excursion vendors) to handle the large ships and have space available for other guest visiting the island. Most large cruise ships visit one day and then they are gone but that one day can change the vibe on the island and the available excursions for others to enjoy.

I wonder how many cruise ships with more than 1000 passengers even stop in Bora Bora.

I have cruised there mostly on the R ships that are around 800 passengers.

I have stopped there twice on larger ships.  One was an eighteen day TP and another was a 28 day RT from San Pedro.  

It seems like a reasonable concern by Bora Bora and hopefully they can make up the lost business.  It one of my favorite cruise stops.  

Edited by jagoffee

3 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

I wonder how many cruise ships with more than 1000 passengers even stop in Bora Bora.

I have cruised there mostly on the R ships that are around 800 passengers.

I have stopped there twice on larger ships.  One was an eighteen day TP and another was a 28 day RT from San Pedro.  

Actually many do  ....

BTW ... if a small ship with lets say 300 or so passengers was visiting Bora Bora an R4 ship will not be allowed in   ... Scheduling will be very important meaning the ships who frequent the society Islands or a home based in FP will have no problems switching an island or two if need be. But the ships traveling through FP might have a problem. 

• Thanks 1