Molde recommendations

Hi there.,

Visiting Molde in June.

We will probably do the 1hr hike up to the Varden Overlook if it is NOT raining.

We are not that interested in the ships tour to Marble Caves.

Is there anyone been to Molde and can suggest some activities, like is it a pretty town, or have other historic things to explore?

Lonely Planet saying it is "architecturally unexciting" too harsh?

We enjoyed our day in Molde, quite relaxing. We walked up the hill to the  Romsdall museum, I think this is on the way to Varden. The museum is a replica of an old village and was pleasant to walk round. We visited in the morning and some of the houses were being closed around lunch time so check the times. There is a cafe there also.

Then we walked down into the town which is pleasant enough with shops, there are cafes along the waterfront right by the ship.

Molde is known as city of Roses, you can smell them as you walk past the gardens.

• Like 1

I decided to take a local bus from Molde out the Coastal road. It was quite a beautiful ride. I got off at a rest stop type area that had a nice boardwalk along the water. I had about an hour or so there (there was a cafe and restrooms there as well) then caught the return bus back to Molde. Lovely scenery and quite inexpensive. I did not have time to go all the way to the end of the line along the coast road. It was supposed to be quite scenic but I enjoyed the portion I was able to see. 
Molde was nice to wander as well. Not touristy at all. The open air museum was enjoyable as well. You will enjoy your day there. 

48 minutes ago, mhb1757 said:

I decided to take a local bus from Molde out the Coastal road. It was quite a beautiful ride. I got off at a rest stop type area that had a nice boardwalk along the water. I had about an hour or so there (there was a cafe and restrooms there as well) then caught the return bus back to Molde. Lovely scenery and quite inexpensive. I did not have time to go all the way to the end of the line along the coast road. It was supposed to be quite scenic but I enjoyed the portion I was able to see. 
Molde was nice to wander as well. Not touristy at all. The open air museum was enjoyable as well. You will enjoy your day there. 

We are going to be there in late April on a cruise. Interested in your bus trip as that is the kind of activity we like to do.

Some questions.

Where did you go to catch the bus?

Approx how much is the fare?

Did you have to pay in Norwegian Krona?

How long was the ride out to the Rest stop ? 

Was there a website where you Lund the info?

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Avril

12 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

We enjoyed our day in Molde, quite relaxing. We walked up the hill to the  Romsdall museum, I think this is on the way to Varden. The museum is a replica of an old village and was pleasant to walk round. We visited in the morning and some of the houses were being closed around lunch time so check the times. There is a cafe there also.

Then we walked down into the town which is pleasant enough with shops, there are cafes along the waterfront right by the ship.

Molde is known as city of Roses, you can smell them as you walk past the gardens.

Thanks very much sounds lovely!

• Like 1

Good tips. 

Our July cruise departs from Molde, and since we have been to Copenhagen plenty of times, I thought to  book a pre-cruise night there. 

Given up on this idea very quickly.

Ridiculous prices! 

We will stay in the big smoke. 

22 hours ago, nightingalegirl said:

We are going to be there in late April on a cruise. Interested in your bus trip as that is the kind of activity we like to do.

Some questions.

Where did you go to catch the bus?

Approx how much is the fare?

Did you have to pay in Norwegian Krona?

How long was the ride out to the Rest stop ? 

Was there a website where you Lund the info?

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Avril

You can book at a part of the public transport service who sells tickets (and reservations) in advance. (Especially helpfull for tourist who are afraid the bus will be full the day they arrive with a cruiseship). I think the price is about twince the price you pay to the busdriver if you do not book in advance. Price is NOK 314 for an adult and half price for seniors (67+) and children. I paid € 32 for the adults in my family and € 16 vor ourselves and grandchildren.  The address: https://frammr.no/FRAM/Travel-like-the-locals#molde    Choose English language if not automatic. The schedule for the bus on the Atlantic Road (name of the famous road):

image.png.33fef0dfc2b3486a40e210654162b636.png

By the way, the bus station is at easy walking distance from the terminal.  And I paid with credit card in NOK (always cheaper than paying them in you own valuta); click on the small characters and read carefully before you click PAY. 

It depends on the month/period of the year whether the reststop is open, if I understand well. Hope we will survice in April next.....).    Enjoy your trip.

Edited by MAVIP

19 minutes ago, MAVIP said:

You can book at a part of the public transport service who sells tickets (and reservations) in advance. (Especially helpfull for tourist who are afraid the bus will be full the day they arrive with a cruiseship). I think the price is about twince the price you pay to the busdriver if you do not book in advance. Price is NOK 314 for an adult and half price for seniors (67+) and children. I paid € 32 for the adults in my family and € 16 vor ourselves and grandchildren.  The address: https://frammr.no/FRAM/Travel-like-the-locals#molde    Choose English language if not automatic. The schedule for the bus on the Atlantic Road (name of the famous road):

image.png.33fef0dfc2b3486a40e210654162b636.png

By the way, the bus station is at easy walking distance from the terminal.  And I paid with credit card in NOK (always cheaper than paying them in you own valuta); click on the small characters and read carefully before you click PAY. 

It depends on the month/period of the year whether the reststop is open, if I understand well. Hope we will survice in April next.....).    Enjoy your trip.

Thanks so much for this info.

We will definitely  take a look at this option for our day there. 

Avril