Sail-By Antarctica Cruise - Which Side of the Ship is Best?

spryder

Maybe a dumb question but I don't have a good idea of what type of track these cruises take around the Antarctic Peninsula... for a cruise like the Holland America Westerdam in late Nov 2020 (Santiago to Buenos Aires, with 3 days in Antarctica, no landings), which side of the ship gets the best scenery down there?  My gut says starboard (right, facing forward) but I really have no idea.

From my experience of crusing in Antarctica (but on a smaller ship), the view is wonderful at pretty much all times on both side of the ships, and also towards the rear and the front. I wouldn't want to experience Antarctica from inside a cabin. The coast is not straight, there are plenty of islets and passages that the ship will sail through.

Edited by SarniaLo

Makes absolutely no difference. The scenery is on both sides.  The captain will rotate the ship on multiple occasions and as others have pointed out you really want to spend the bulk of your viewing time on deck so you can move as things come into view, like the iceberg below

047E8EA7-4CB7-4817-ACEC-E31DB2CFAA31.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How about an inside cabin with a virtual display of antarctic scenery?!  Just kidding....I agree with what has already been said. Have to get out on the deck although, in all honesty, we were back and forth to the room as well - was nice to get away from the crowds at times and get warm inside the ship while still having good views from our balcony.