Getting a lower price without losing your Amex deposit

EllieinNJ

I see my cruise price has gone down some.  I booked about a month ago for the refundable fare (no perks) using my Amex card.  I put down $500 and got the $100 statement credit.  If I ask for the lower price will they just cancel and re book using the deposit I already made or will they cancel that deposit and charge me a new one and I will lose that Amex discount?

I am not an expert but the one time, I had a price adjustment, the money I had already paid, was used toward the total cruise price vs any major financial logistics.

Example:

Paid $500 down on a $2000 cruise

Original balance due after deposit $1500

Cruise price reduction to $1800

Balance due after price reduction adjusted to $1300

Thus no back n forth on my credit card.

Edited by 1GaPeach

2 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I see my cruise price has gone down some.  I booked about a month ago for the refundable fare (no perks) using my Amex card.  I put down $500 and got the $100 statement credit.  If I ask for the lower price will they just cancel and re book using the deposit I already made or will they cancel that deposit and charge me a new one and I will lose that Amex discount?

Your AmEx statement credit is not like having OBC on your acct. & losing it.  The statement credit will remain on your AmEx acct.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sparky2 said:

Your AmEx statement credit is not like having OBC on your acct. & losing it.  The statement credit will remain on your AmEx acct.

True. The only time I believe you would lose the $100 Amex credit is if you cancel the cruise and get a refund from the cruise line. Amex will then debit your card the $100 credit from the original charge.

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 10:23 AM, joepeka said:

True. The only time I believe you would lose the $100 Amex credit is if you cancel the cruise and get a refund from the cruise line. Amex will then debit your card the $100 credit from the original charge.

I cancelled a cruise and Amex did not take the credit back out of my account.

20 hours ago, shoptom said:

I cancelled a cruise and Amex did not take the credit back out of my account.

Interesting. I've done likewise and Amex took back the credit via a debit to my Amex card. So much for consistency, eh? 😉

52 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Interesting. I've done likewise and Amex took back the credit via a debit to my Amex card. So much for consistency, eh? 😉

Your experience sounds like the norm. Otherwise you could just keep using the Amex offers and return the merchandise. Either the previous poster is not being honest or did not notice the charge back or was somehow incredibly lucky.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 11:47 AM, ontheweb said:

Your experience sounds like the norm. Otherwise you could just keep using the Amex offers and return the merchandise. Either the previous poster is not being honest or did not notice the charge back or was somehow incredibly lucky.

Maybe it was the 10 months between booking and cancellation?  On a related note, the cancelled excursions where credited back to my Carnival credit card in cash even though I paid them off with points.