What do you think about a cove balcony ?

monakayk

Not for us. We were shaken awake every night with loud noises and banging. Glassware, ice bucket and everything else rattling. The first time I thought the ship had hit something. We asked around, but never got a good answer about what it was. It was nice to be close to the water and the gangway, but the lack of sleep negated those two things.

• Like 1

We had a cove balcony on Magic & prefer a more open balcony. I did enjoy the water view, I did enjoy the ease of returning to stateroom after returning to this ship from a port stop, but I prefer the openness of an AFT balcony over any other. Trying cove balcony on a B2B & disliking it might be a mistake...then again, you might love it as so many others do!

On 1/29/2020 at 8:55 PM, klfhngr said:

We got the exact same offer, but it was under the water park and we said no thanks.

I checked the location before I accepted.   We are really happy with the upgrade!  Good location, good price.  The only down side is that I will still have not tried a cove...lol

• Like 1

Had a Cove on the Horizon...wife and I loved the privacy,  shade and being close to the water.  Didn't run into any of the potential issues others have had regarding any noise from the galley or severe weather.

Only thing we didn't like was when it was time to go to the top decks,  we had usually preferred to have our room aft and high enough to easily walk up and down the steps to Ledo.   Our room was Forward on this cruise so it was a bit of a hike to get to the back of the Ledo and to the room.  Minor deal though...I think unless I were to get a Suite (never had one) or an L shaped room aft (have had that room a couple times...loved the extended balcony),  cove will be our next preference moving forward.

Can't wait to try the cove. Wife was hesitant, but after reading the reviews and watching the cool youtube videos, she changed her mind. We've tried up high, down low, aft, mid, suite, but never cove. If we don't like, we can at least say we tried it. We were on deck 6, then 8 then cove! No more changes, lol! My poor TA!

On 1/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, bury me at sea said:

Look at a deck plan for your ship to make sure you are not under the galley.  Under the mid-ship MDR is great.

I don't understand how to read this deck plan. Is the gray space the galley? I'm not sure what I'm looking at, here.. but we're in 2378. 

deck plan.png

Edited by Cyn874

On 1/29/2020 at 1:12 PM, klfhngr said:

We changed to a cove on the panorama for upcoming April cruise. Can't wait. We've done all other types of balconies, might as well give this a shot. Gonna take my fishing gear...

Close enough to the water to fish. But if the ship is moving better have some massive weights. 

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 1:25 AM, Cyn874 said:

I don't understand how to read this deck plan. Is the gray space the galley? I'm not sure what I'm looking at, here.. but we're in 2378. 

deck plan.png

Yes the gray space is under the galley. Im in a cove balcony on the magic next month. Personally I don't think being under the galley is a big deal at all. When the galley is most active you probably wont be in there anyway. Nobody is going to be in the galley while you are trying to sleep. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, matymil said:

Yes the gray space is under the galley. Im in a cove balcony on the magic next month. Personally I don't think being under the galley is a big deal at all. When the galley is most active you probably wont be in there anyway. Nobody is going to be in the galley while you are trying to sleep. 

You do not want to be under the galley. Some things you may have to learn the hard way. I like to sleep at 4 a.m. when they are getting breakfast ready.

• Like 1

We book both cove and reg balconies.  Like the coves as they are so close to the water.  Downside is you can't sit and look out at water since they are half steel.  Love that there is a cut out spot in the steel though, that you can see through and put up your feet.

Always have booked regular balconies prior to our last cruise. Just got off the Horizon last week where we tried a Cove. We loved it for all the reasons mentioned by others. More privacy. Closer to water. We absolutely love sleeping with the balcony door cracked and hearing those waves splash. I will probably always book one again in the future if possible.

One tip, do your research with the specific cabin. Certain ones do and do not not have the lifeboats over the top of the Cove cabins and while it wouldnt have made me decide not to book one, I enjoyed not having one above ours. Just a little better, less restricted view. Also if that matters to you, do not go strictly by the Carnival deck plans. Those will get you close as far as figuring out what areas do not have the lifeboats above but you have to dig a little deeper than that to get specific. For me, I found a few room numbers on each side of the ship that looked like they wouldnt have them above and then used google images and Youtube to dig deeper and confirm. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Tom.Terrific said:

We've had coves on Magic and Dream, and have one upcoming on the Breeze,   But like others have said, you want to stay out from under the galley.  We shoot for under the excursion desk or guest services.

This is what we do as well. Never heard any noise from above. We've been on the Dream, Magic, Breeze and Vista. We are booked in a Cove on the Mardi Gras in 2021.

I'm extremely excited for my cove balcony, especially since I got moved out from under the galley. Funny thing is, Carnival keeps trying to offer me an upgrade to a regular balcony on deck 9. I'd consider that a huge downgrade! Being right on the water is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. I don't think I'd consider upgrading to anything less than a full suite, and even then I'd have to research a little. I wouldn't even take a Havana upgrade, if they offered. At least not  until I've experienced a cove at least once.

12 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

I'm extremely excited for my cove balcony, especially since I got moved out from under the galley. Funny thing is, Carnival keeps trying to offer me an upgrade to a regular balcony on deck 9. I'd consider that a huge downgrade! Being right on the water is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most. I don't think I'd consider upgrading to anything less than a full suite, and even then I'd have to research a little. I wouldn't even take a Havana upgrade, if they offered. At least not  until I've experienced a cove at least once.

I'm glad you aren't still under the galley.  Happy sailing.

On 2/9/2020 at 4:27 PM, Tom.Terrific said:

We've had coves on Magic and Dream, and have one upcoming on the Breeze,   But like others have said, you want to stay out from under the galley.  We shoot for under the excursion desk or guest services.

Is it really that bad at night? Figured that nobody would be in there after dinner is over?? 

On 2/9/2020 at 4:55 PM, tandemcruzr said:

This is what we do as well. Never heard any noise from above. We've been on the Dream, Magic, Breeze and Vista. We are booked in a Cove on the Mardi Gras in 2021.

We are in 2272 which is under the lobby. We have a baby that normally goes to bed around 10. I figured that this might get louder than the galley because of the parties they have there and whatnot after hours? 

19 minutes ago, matymil said:

Is it really that bad at night? Figured that nobody would be in there after dinner is over?? 

There wasn't a lot of noise under the galley to bother us during the evening, but kitchen activities for breakfast begin around 3:00 in the morning.  Pans being knocked around, machines (mixers?) running, didn't hear voices, but lots of loud banging sounds.  Maybe we just got lucky.  And it happened every morning.