First Time On Silversea - Tipping Question

besberry

We took a cruise over Christmas/New Years last year, and for the first time ever I contributed to the crew wellness fund.  (I arranged it at the same time that I turned it my 'no I don't want to contribute to the charity' form at reception).  My reasoning was to help the crew have their own 'holiday' celebrations below decks.  They seemed appreciative, and the hotel manager sought me out later and thanked me personally, but I didn't do it for recognition, so was actually somewhat embarrassed at the time.

Past discussions with various crew members has given me to understand that far more than a tip, they appreciate a positive review in the mid cruise (if you're on a longer cruise) and end of cruise surveys.  I've been told that SilverSea pays better than average wages, and the crew want their contracts renewed.  Getting a good review on the survey helps get that renewal.

Tips are included in the fare you've already paid.

My experience is that restaurant staff in America - who need the tips - are more attentive than in mainland Europe (eg) where staff are paid a reasonable salary by their employers and few people tip. There staff can be quite offhand (though as neither they nor I are fluent in each other's language that could be another reason why they don't interact so much). And am I bothered - not at all. Actually I can find the constant "is everything alright" irritating.  That was one reason why I have chosen Silversea for our 1st ocean cruise - because I don't want to have to think about carrying small notes all the time. If we are moving to a card only economy how will people be able to tip? And that is better, because employers will need to pay a real salary to attract any staff hooray!

1 hour ago, MLeh said:

We took a cruise over Christmas/New Years last year, and for the first time ever I contributed to the crew wellness fund.  (I arranged it at the same time that I turned it my 'no I don't want to contribute to the charity' form at reception).  My reasoning was to help the crew have their own 'holiday' celebrations below decks.  They seemed appreciative, and the hotel manager sought me out later and thanked me personally, but I didn't do it for recognition, so was actually somewhat embarrassed at the time.

Past discussions with various crew members has given me to understand that far more than a tip, they appreciate a positive review in the mid cruise (if you're on a longer cruise) and end of cruise surveys.  I've been told that SilverSea pays better than average wages, and the crew want their contracts renewed.  Getting a good review on the survey helps get that renewal.

Tips are included in the fare you've already paid.

We contributed to the fund on the last cruise too, but waited until the very last night so that nobody could find out and embarrass us by mentioning it. 😉 I hope that they don't keep track and mention it on the next one.

Also on Silver Cloud this time, they gave out crew awards at the Captain's Farewell gathering. It was announced that the awards were based on the number of times a given crew member was mentioned by name (positively) on surveys. The winning crew members got monetary rewards. So I agree, that leads me to believe that positive reviews on surveys translates to a real reward to the crew.

• Like 1

Think this must be one of those eternal questions for which no one really has an answer.

I tip only the butler..if he or she is helpful and discrete and the steward because he or she cleans the bathroom. I hand them envelopes on the morning I disembark and say Thank You.

BUT...what I also do, is donate to The Crew Fund. I believe they must post a notice in the crew quarters, as over the years, individual crew members have quietly thanked me. I’ve been told that the amount donated is not posted..which I think is proper.

Also something to note is that writing praise about outstanding crew really makes a difference in terms of promotions. I was told this by two different Hotel Directors...it’s very easy to do, just note them on the Surveys given to you in the middle and end of each cruise. 

Sadly, and I may well be wrong, I have noticed people slipping money to various staff..bartenders, Maître Ds. and others. I feel this really lowers the tone and changes the atmosphere. This has been a fairly recent phenomenon...do any others feel the same way?

• Like 2

Cruising Pashmina......We do exactly the same as you and have done for 22 years superb service we have received from the excellent well trained Silversea staff.Also fully agree with your comments regarding the occasional clients who make it obvious on day one of a cruise that they are bribing the staff to achieve better service than normal customers of SS.Thankfully we have never experienced this form of bribery we have witnessed leading to any special treatment for the perpetrators of such appalling actions.Most of the experienced Hotel Directors do not condone such behaviour...thankfully.Enjoy your future cruising with SS and hope we cross paths again in the future.

Agree with Cruising Pash -- ALWAYS give to the butler and room steward, most of whom give such personal service.  And ALWAYS contribute to the Crew Fund.

And ALWAYS mention those who perform above and beyond.

It's just the right thing to do.......

• Like 3

Hi everyone, we just booked our first SS Silver Shadow cruise Jan 2021. The tip info is very helpful especially the Crew Fund and crew members name mentions on survey. I will definitely follow that route. In terms of the Crew Fund, what percentage or amount is suggested for a 11 day cruise? Thanks

1 hour ago, LoryAnn said:

Hi everyone, we just booked our first SS Silver Shadow cruise Jan 2021. The tip info is very helpful especially the Crew Fund and crew members name mentions on survey. I will definitely follow that route. In terms of the Crew Fund, what percentage or amount is suggested for a 11 day cruise? Thanks

Hi, that is such a personal thing.....how much to leave? I would not feel comfortable telling someone an amount.

I am sure after you are on board for ---lets say 3/4 of the cruise...you can pick an amount you are comfortable giving😀

Now maybe I am in the minority and someone else on here will give you a suggested amount but I just think that 

is really a personal thing.

10 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi, that is such a personal thing.....how much to leave? I would not feel comfortable telling someone an amount.

I am sure after you are on board for ---lets say 3/4 of the cruise...you can pick an amount you are comfortable giving😀

Now maybe I am in the minority and someone else on here will give you a suggested amount but I just think that 

is really a personal thing.

Thank you for your reply, I agree and will be happy to contribute generously to the Crew Fund. 🙂

3 hours ago, LoryAnn said:

In terms of the Crew Fund, what percentage or amount is suggested for a 11 day cruise? Thanks

An(y) amount that you feel comfortable giving will be happily received, I am sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1