First Time On Silversea - Tipping Question

besberry

I'll be heading for my first Silversea cruise in just under a fortnight on the Silver Galapagos.  I've never had a butler before and although I know tips are included in the fare, I just wondered how many people tip their butler and approximately how much for a week's cruise.  Thanks in advance.

If the butler does something above and beyond (and frankly I don't know what that would be) then I's say yes, a tip is in on order, Otherwise when Silversea says tips are included they mean it. Some people just have a hard time accepting that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, besberry said:

I know tips are included in the fare

Silversea means what it says.

There is no need at all to tip anyone.

Altho' I tend to agree with wripro that something well out of the ordinary might be worth a tip but I also couldn't imagine what that might be - SS butlers seem to take all requests in their stride with a smile and a 'yes, of course'.

1 hour ago, wripro said:

If the butler does something above and beyond (and frankly I don't know what that would be) then I's say yes, a tip is in on order, Otherwise when Silversea says tips are included they mean it. Some people just have a hard time accepting that.

I don't have a hard time accepting it!  I'm a Brit, we tip for good service rather than because it's the done thing!

46 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

The attached file is from the Silversea Passengers Facebook page.

FAQ_Tipping 2020.pdf 1011.74 kB · 11 downloads

Sorry It wouldn't download for me.

Edited, I've now managed to download it!

Thanks for the replies folks.  I now know to keep my hand in my pocket!

Edited by besberry
Correction.

I was on the Silver Galapagos a year ago.  I think I met our butler once.  On a ship like this they are totally superfluous to requirements.  On a bigger ship, if you are a high maintenance guest, then maybe a butler might be useful.  But not on a tiny expedition ship.  And you don't tip anyone.

11 hours ago, besberry said:

I don't have a hard time accepting it!  I'm a Brit, we tip for good service rather than because it's the done thing!

Amen! Though you should receive good service from all the staff on the ship.

Tips and expecting to is always a contentious one depending on if you are from the US or elsewhere. Nothing wrong with being generous of course, the issue for me is always it's the employer who should pay wages. So on this front I think SS do exactly that though no one will turn down a tip.

That said, I've never left the ship without tipping some individuals who've done a great job for us. Last cruise out butler was near invisible so we gave nothing. Gratitude is the key word in gratuity!

I certainly feel as a collective, the staff do deserve a thank you, so do think the welfare fund is a great way to do this and think guests are doing this now in higher numbers.

At the end of the day it's your call, but from what you've said, a reward is a good thing and encourages good service. I've never liked the concept of getting in first with a large tip on day one to "make sure you get looked after". Always seemed grotesque and selfish to me.

• Like 1

This tipping issue comes up so frequently in these boards.

Sorta like the dress code.

Divergent views for sure even in the face of the "policy" of Silversea.

Tipping is a personal preference. 

I suggested the crew fund because it benefits many of the unseen crew.

I never said I don't tip the Butler or the Suite attendant. Nor did I state it should not be done.

On the subject of tipping I wonder how many pax get off an excursion and tip the tour guide and bus driver?

Considering the extortionate prices charged for ships' excursions and tours, tipping a driver or a guide is something I have never done.  And I don't care who sees that I don't, either.  

I've never understood the whole tipping culture thing.  It's degrading for both the tipper and the tippee.  I positively LOVE not tipping in America.  

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree with you...….nothing degrading about it.   Every culture, environment is different.  I am not

telling anyone what to do, but to call those do tip--degrading? In my opinion, that is quite harsh.

Tipping will always be a contentious issue and it is and will remain a matter of personal choice with no right or wrong.Silversea have made it crystal clear in their brochures and literature for all the 22 years we have sailed with them and we have always fallen in line with the stated fact that all gratuities are included.We have always enjoyed excellent service included in the holiday price.Okay for us but stress that additional tipping is an individual choice is neither right or wrong but acceptable.Enjoy cruising on Silversea!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I positively LOVE not tipping in America.  

Really?  Why do you LOVE not tipping in America?  What is your point?

I never dreamed someone as well traveled as you appear to be here in CC could be so culturally insensitive.  Are you aware that in America if an employment position is classified as "Tipped" the employees base wage plummets from the minimum rate ($7.25) to $2.13 per hour?  The largest group of people earning below minimum wages are restaurant/food service industry workers, followed by travel services.  We’re talking about over 6 million Americans who you enjoy stiffing with your LOVE.  

In closing, I hope you just weren’t aware of our culture of tipping and will change your behavior during future visits.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Are you aware that in America if an employment position is classified as "Tipped" the employees base wage plummets from the minimum rate ($7.25) to $2.13 per hour?  

I think my word was degrading . . . I have no plans to visit America any time soon.

Edited by Fletcher

54 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I think my word was degrading . . . I have no plans to visit America any time soon.

No, you said that you "positively LOVE not tipping in America."  I don’t care if you never come to America again, but if you do, please be respectful of OUR culture of tipping service employees when you are here.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, besberry said:

Sorry It wouldn't download for me.

Edited, I've now managed to download it!

Thanks for the replies folks.  I now know to keep my hand in my pocket!

You are tipping for good service. That tip is included in your fare. It's just not separate they way other situations are..

And I agree about the Crew Welfare fund. That/s the best way to reward all Silversea crew and not just the ones with whom you come into contact.

• Like 1

I don't understand why, when the SS documentation clearly states that gratuities are included, people feel obliged to question whether they need to give tips.  Simple answer is: No!  However, some choose to tip whether for excellent individual service, because they feel morally obliged, or because they come from a tipping culture.  It's an individual choice but nobody should feel guilty for not tipping or sanctimonious if they do.  

For those that would like to show appreciation of the crew in general then the Crew Welfare Fund is an excellent way to do that.  And the gift benefits all the crew, not just those at front-of-house.  

As a final point, and one expressed by a poster earlier, I find the act of advance-tipping both crass and arrogant.  In fact, it is not advance-tipping it is bribery.

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 1

I tip when visiting the US because I accept that it is a part of the social fabric.

I have, however,  seen the dark side of tipping and find it difficult to separate from bribery.

A passenger , upon embarkation spread many many hundreds of dollars into accepting hands.

The result was obsequious attention from ss staff that I found unsettling,  as others necessarily received lesser service to meet the demands & expectations that had been pre purchased. 

Edited by tgh
typo

I'm going to respond to this question with my own honest opinion and my own practices having been on many SS cruises and without judgment to others and their cultures or personal practices. You asked for feedback; here it is. 

We tip routinely, whether it is the waiters at the pool, the suite attendant, the butler, the bar manager or in the dining room. I have raised this question in the past and been assaulted for asking it, so I can only offer my own POV. We don't do it for attention, better service or any other reason. Always done discretely, our feeling is that we are incredibly fortunate to be on a beautiful ship and sprinkling a few hundred dollars to make the lives of crew happier is a joyous occasion. That's it. Frequently donate, anonymously, to the crew welfare fund. Haters pile on; folks should do what they want. Tip or don't tip, it's your choice, but don't lambaste those of us who chose to share what we can to bring a little happiness to a hardworking crew. 

Enjoy your cruise! The crew do a lot to ensure your every happiness.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And I completely disagree. You are already spreading hundreds of dollars to the crew on;y it is factored into your fare. Without included tipping your fare would be hundreds of dollars cheaper.

Perhaps people should also ask if they should plop down $20 for their martini every night even though alcohol is included. After all, why one endnote the other?

If I may add a little anecdote which, to my mind, sums up the arrogant attitude to tipping that some people display.

On our Silver Muse cruise last April around Japan the American destination lecturer/expert (who, by the way, did not know that the Emperor of Japan was due to abdicate in a few days - some expert!) gave his insight into tipping. He explained that tipping is most definitely not part of Japanese culture. However, he said, in Japan I always offer a tip to a tour guide and if they are offended by it I don't give a damn!

6 hours ago, Sir Humphrey said:

If I may add a little anecdote which, to my mind, sums up the arrogant attitude to tipping that some people display.

On our Silver Muse cruise last April around Japan the American destination lecturer/expert (who, by the way, did not know that the Emperor of Japan was due to abdicate in a few days - some expert!) gave his insight into tipping. He explained that tipping is most definitely not part of Japanese culture. However, he said, in Japan I always offer a tip to a tour guide and if they are offended by it I don't give a damn!

Which proves the point that in many cases tipping is not to reward good service but rather to make some people feel good about themselves.