Euro or Pound currency on board.

hunt182644

I dont know which or both currency they have on board (maybe both) but you will need Pounds not euros for ports in the United Kingdom. Euros for the South of Ireland /Pounds for the North of Ireland. Hope that helps ps I live in the N.Ireland and currancy is Pounds.

While I find it unlikely that the ship will have what you seek, if they did it will come at a rather high exchange rate.

IMO, the best strategy is to leave the ship with your ATM card and find a machine (likely in the terminal building) that will give you local currency.

They have an on-board ATM that will dispense money when it works.  However the exchange rate and fee is next to horrible.  Use an ATM on shore preferable not in the cruise terminal.  We just did a 28 day cruise out of Southampton and mostly used credit cards, the international currency!  If you use your cc just make sure your issuer does not tack on a foreign exchange charge per transaction. 

My account was in US dollars on every Princess ship. My credit card then converted it to Canadian. For ports we used local currency of ports or credit cards. 

Edited by dog

The prices you pay on board the ship are in USA currency .

I would never get euros or British pounds on any ship even if they offered that service!!

Always use either local ATMs to withdraw the cash you need or use a credit card to pay in local currency.  I have cards that charge no foreign fees for ATM withdrawals or for converting currency.

We did a B2B2B for a total of 34 nights, going transatlantic, Norway, then Baltic.  I purchased through my local bank a small amount for each currency needed.  Got more Euro's since that was the majority used.  Even got Ruble's.  We used the local currency for tips for our guides on our excursions, purchasing coffee off ship, souvenirs.  At the end of the cruise, we used the left over for extra gratuities.